Water tank cleaning

W+T

Featured Posts

Hi all,i have 2 water tanks on my boat,i think they are galvanised ones, they have been stood for over 15 years unused, is it possible that are still useable and if so what could i use to clean them out,or even test to see if they are ok for drinking water still.

tn_IMG_2181.jpg

tn_IMG_2180.jpg

Thanks folks

wayne

Personally, I'd fill them up, stick some thin bleach in, drain, refill - then try drinking some and see what it tastes and looks like.

What's worrying you about them, particularly?

PC

Just that have been stood for so long realy and if they would still be usable, i dont know what the inside is coated in, if it mite of deteriorated.

Spose as you say i can just fill and clean etc and see what its like.

At the beginning of every season I add Milton sterilising fluid to the full tank of water, leave for a while then drain off and refill with water.

I never drink the water straight from the tap.

Steve

Why ever not? We and 90% of narrowboater do

Alex

At the beginning of every season I add Milton sterilising fluid to the full tank of water, leave for a while then drain off and refill with water.

I never drink the water straight from the tap.

Steve

I don't do anything to mine, the boat has now been in use for 11 years and I always drink the water.

Never had a tummy problem onboard yet.

If they really are galvanised on the inside I wouldn't use them at all. Zinc is toxic in anything other than very small amounts. Even at low dosages it can lead to copper deficiency. On the positive side though, it does kill pathogenic organisms in the water!

If they really are galvanised on the inside I wouldn't use them at all. Zinc is toxic in anything other than very small amounts. Even at low dosages it can lead to copper deficiency. On the positive side though, it does kill pathogenic organisms in the water!

Personally after that amount of time I would internally inspect it using

a snake camera like they use for inspecting drains.

Trouble with galvanisation it does degrade after time.

We have a SS water tank and have drank water from it for several years without any problem, suddenly realising this as i type, I do think though that it's time we did give it some sterilisation, as it has been left for long periods without use, so that's another job added to the list wink.gif

Personally after that amount of time I would internally inspect it using

We have a SS water tank and have drank water from it for several years without any problem, suddenly realising this as i type, I do think though that it's time we did give it some sterilisation, as it has been left for long periods without use, so that's another job added to the list wink.gif

Edited by Julynian

Morning everyone, another cracking day ahead, weather wise that is.

I see that your tank are in use and being refilled with water, my tank has just been stood, and probably empty well almost, will this not be worse for the tank than when being in use? The reason i asked realy.

Where can i get one of the tank inspection cameras from, dont fancy getting the drainage lads out at there prices to check it for me LOL, mite aswell ne wtanks if i did.

Hi Alex

Judging by your avatar I would start sterilising the water if I was you.

Wot u meen I cant see any problem :wacko:

They are motorbike goggles from 1950's Germany - no glass just aluminium with fine slits - they work amazingly well.

How are you Chris - still a land lubber?

Alex

We have a plastic tank, used for 6months of the year, left (in various states of fill) for 6, repeat.

Never had a problem, always drank from it, and when it came out a few years ago after 18years service i was only amazed by how clean it was, not sand, no green, all looked like new.

Doesnt answer what your tanks are like, or if you would be happy drinking from a zinc plated tank but certainly wouldnt not drink out a normal nb tank.

Daniel

Wot u meen I cant see any problem :wacko:

They are motorbike goggles from 1950's Germany - no glass just aluminium with fine slits - they work amazingly well.

How are you Chris - still a land lubber?

Alex

Yes unfortunately, we're still having to look after a certain relative, probably my punishment for an immoral life, it's been a year now, our old boating life seems like a distant dream. Just arrived at the boat for a, hopefully, 4 day visit