Historic/Working boat of the future

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Some time ago I saw that someone (moored on the Braunston flight) had obtained one of these and proceeded to build over the hold to connect the two work cabins. It might be a workable solution, but no matter what the standard of work, it is never going to become a classic. However it might afford someone a happy time on the cut, so who cares?

Edited by tony collins

Hi Speedwheel

Don't go there! A couple of years ago I signwrote one for the Away Group in Birmingham and had to turn it round. To say it handled dreadfully is a gross understatement. It can't have been designed by a naval architect, more likely a blind apprentice...

Cheers

Dave

Nah,

It's pump-out, not cassette.

Not a real boat!

(And, we will no doubt be told, window not port hole).

I doubt one of these ever had such immaculate washing and toilet facilities though - probably even when new, let alone in use!

There were two privately owned ones heading towards Braunston last weekend, I asked if they were going to Braunston - they are at least working boats, though maybe stretching the historic a little (but then so are some boats that are going!).

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

Hi Speedwheel

Don't go there! A couple of years ago I signwrote one for the Away Group in Birmingham and had to turn it round. To say it handled dreadfully is a gross understatement. It can't have been designed by a naval architect, more likely a blind apprentice...

Cheers

Dave

It wont suprise you to know that British Waterways designed them at Watford. Sadly Hancock and Lane had no input but they did build to a very high standard which is why they lasted so well. They handle OK with a small load but are pigs light.

It wont suprise you to know that British Waterways designed them at Watford. Sadly Hancock and Lane had no input but they did build to a very high standard which is why they lasted so well. They handle OK with a small load but are pigs light.

I heard a story some years ago , that , for some reason, these boats were needed very urgently , they were delivered on time by H & L, but at a cost of £100k each ( 1970s)!!!

We bought one of these , 35ft version with Lister ST1 for a lot less than 100K in 1993.It was brilliant.... as a workboat.

Bill

I heard a story some years ago , that , for some reason, these boats were needed very urgently , they were delivered on time by H & L, but at a cost of £100k each ( 1970s)!!!

We bought one of these , 35ft version with Lister ST1 for a lot less than 100K in 1993.It was brilliant.... as a workboat.

Bill

£100k - as you say this is just a story. The 35' B.W.B. workboats known as "Class RY131" actually cost slightly over £11800 in the late 1970's, even so this was alot of money for a narrow boat back then ! Most of this 'class' were originally fitted with Lister ST2 air cooled diesels.

Presume that's the one which was underwater at Dean Locks, in the recent auction?

Tim

Hi Tim, that's right. When I went to Worsley at the back end of last year it was going on dock there. Purchased by somebody connected to Worsley Dry Dock, he said he had purchased as a project with the aim of selling on once complete.

£100k - as you say this is just a story. The 35' B.W.B. workboats known as "Class RY131" actually cost slightly over £11800 in the late 1970's, even so this was alot of money for a narrow boat back then ! Most of this 'class' were originally fitted with Lister ST2 air cooled diesels.

Pete why RY131? - The records I have refer to these as the CL131

Mike

Pete why RY131? - The records I have refer to these as the CL131

Mike

I have no idea.

Almost 10 years ago British Waterways Board gave me access to their 'asset register', much of which was based on an old and slightly outdated accountants computer printout. I also went through countless B.W.B. papers, boat cards e.t.c. and built a pretty good list of their maintenance fleet. Although most boats had no reference to their 'class' a few did. Most of these were only referred to by their 'class' number but some had the prefix "RY" (and none were prefixed "CL"). I do not know what "RY" means but quote it anyway.