Paddington Basin

NickF

Featured Posts

Hi, I am planning a trip through London on a hire boat in a couple of weeks. I went for a wander around Paddington Basin when I was in London yesterday ... can any one tell me is it wide enough to turn a 66ft boat at the end of it? It's a bit difficult to judge from just standing on the bank and looking!

Hi, I am planning a trip through London on a hire boat in a couple of weeks. I went for a wander around Paddington Basin when I was in London yesterday ... can any one tell me is it wide enough to turn a 66ft boat at the end of it? It's a bit difficult to judge from just standing on the bank and looking!

No problem. We've turned a 60ft boat easily at the end of the first basin, where the building is/was. From Google maps the second bit, beyond the bridge, is the same width, so you should be fine in either place.

MP.

on the follow up to that, what is the mooring like, ie is there any and if can or do have to book

on the follow up to that, what is the mooring like, ie is there any and if can or do have to book

You can turn 71 ft 6 in in Paddington Basin.

There is usually space to moor in the basin or on the Little Venice visitor moorings. No need to book - just turn up.

David

When I walked there at the weekend there seemed to be plenty of visitor mooring in the basin ... I didn't see much at Little Venice but then I didn't walk North of the junction.

Nick

When I was at Paddington basin last summer it was quite crowded but I managed to find a space just in front ot the BW office boat (to the right of this picture).

P1000322.jpg

It's an odd feeling being moored up in central London if you're used to being a bit further out of town. Leaving one's boat and walking through Paddington Station into Praed St and Edgware Road feels very strange.

I guess little things amuse me, like having breakfast in Subway while looking at my boat outside.

IMG00019-20100515-1025.jpg

Edited by blackrose

When I was at Paddington basin last summer it was quite crowded but I managed to find a space just in front ot the BW office boat (to the right of this picture).

I guess it kind of raises the question why you can moor a 12' 6" beam boat there, but breasting up of narrow boats is strictly forbidden.

The less than 1' 6" difference in overall width isn't going to make a heap of difference in most cases!

I guess it kind of raises the question why you can moor a 12' 6" beam boat there, but breasting up of narrow boats is strictly forbidden.

The less than 1' 6" difference in overall width isn't going to make a heap of difference in most cases!

I didn't realise bresting up was forbidden there - are there notices to that effect? I don't remember seeing any?

You can turn full length boats in Paddington Basin.

A word of advise though, the developments around the basin have created a terrific wind tunnel along the length of the basin,I have seen a number of boats come to grief running out of basin to turn in. If it is the slightest bit windy when you turn you may wish to have somebodt ashore who can put your bow rope around a bollrd whilst you wind.

Tim

I didn't realise bresting up was forbidden there - are there notices to that effect? I don't remember seeing any?

During Cavalcade we had 4 narrowboats abreast further down the arm. It was fun watching the wide beam restaurant boat get by, especially since the steerer wasn't very compos mentis.

The end of the basin is certainly wide enough for me to get Victoria around in one go without touching the gear lever with a boat moored opposite, so must be over 85 foot.

Mike

The end of the basin is certainly wide enough for me to get Victoria around in one go without touching the gear lever with a boat moored opposite, so must be over 85 foot.

Mike

Do you see the curtains twitching nervously whilst your doing it mike??? :lol:

edited to add, the works are now complete to the 5th building and the towpath now runs from the M&S buildings right along to the tubular bridge. This means that there are boats moored the entire length nowon the north side.

Edited by matty40s

Do you see the curtains twitching nervously whilst your doing it mike??? :lol:

edited to add, the works are now complete to the 5th building and the towpath now runs from the M&S buildings right along to the tubular bridge. This means that there are boats moored the entire length nowon the north side.

So long as there are no boats on the other side beyond the jetties I should in theory still get 'round in one, but I would have to swing the bow in the bit without jetties on the hospital side.

Mike

Interesting notice from BW

----------------------------------------------------

Winding Hole in Paddington Basin

Wednesday 15 June 2011 until further notice

Mooring rings have recently been installed on the pathway at the very end of Paddington Basin, beyond the pontoons. This has been done in advance of planned works to create further visitor berths at this site. These rings should not be used for mooring at this time as this area of waterspace is a winding hole - mooring at this location will reduce the width of the navigation and incur a risk of collision between craft. Customers should moor in alternative berths in the basin or at the Little Venice Visitor Mooring Site nearby. British Waterways are unfortunately unable to accept responsibility for any damage due to collisions resulting from this 'No Mooring' instruction not being followed.

At 58ft we went round easily enough - we spent a night here at the begining of May. Very quite in the surrounding streets and most shops/pubs closed because it was a Sunday and all the office staff had gone home - different world monday morning - best mobile internet reception of the whole trip Cheers Bill and Denise NB Indulgence

thames013.jpg

Interesting notice from BW

----------------------------------------------------

Winding Hole in Paddington Basin

Wednesday 15 June 2011 until further notice

Mooring rings have recently been installed on the pathway at the very end of Paddington Basin, beyond the pontoons. This has been done in advance of planned works to create further visitor berths at this site. These rings should not be used for mooring at this time as this area of waterspace is a winding hole - mooring at this location will reduce the width of the navigation and incur a risk of collision between craft. Customers should moor in alternative berths in the basin or at the Little Venice Visitor Mooring Site nearby. British Waterways are unfortunately unable to accept responsibility for any damage due to collisions resulting from this 'No Mooring' instruction not being followed.

ha ha - see , BW do take notice of the forum !!,

There have been boats moored there for 2 months and it takes a forum post to let 'em know.....

Mike, keep yer hands on that reverse gear just in case... ;)