Tying Up

system 4-50

Featured Posts

.... in roman numerals MVCL is 1155, or five minutes to midnight, and the closer the clock is to midnight, the closer the world is to ending .... Doomsday Clock (.... on reflection, this probably doesn't help, but hey ho :))

I clicked that link. I'm now wondering how long it will be before a certain poster starts putting arrows on it with the names of right wing politicians so as to blame them for the dangerous points and the names of left wing politicians pointing at the less dangerous bits.

Edit to clarify.

Edited by Gibbo

.... in roman numerals MVCL is 1155...

It's not, you know. 1155 in Roman Numerals would be MCLV. Same letters, different order. MVCL isn't (can't be) a Roman numeral - it's nonsense in that sense. (V cannot be used in subtractive notation.)

Tony

It's not, you know. 1155 in Roman Numerals would be MCLV. Same letters, different order. MVCL isn't (can't be) a Roman numeral - it's nonsense in that sense. (V cannot be used in subtractive notation.)

Tony

I know ... but given these people don't seem to mind which order it's in, MVCL or MCLV, Roman Numeral Converter I took a bit of licence

... I took a bit of licence

Yeah - huge.

If you could write MVCL within the rules (which you can't) it would be 1145. One thousand, plus ninety-five, plus fifty.

Tony

Yeah - huge.

If you could write MVCL within the rules (which you can't) it would be 1145. One thousand, plus ninety-five, plus fifty.

Tony

Given that the behavior of "V" before a larger character is undefined, 1145 is only one possible answer, arrived at by assigning subtractive behaviour that wouldn't normally be there.

If you assume normal rules, where 5's always terminate a group, and can never be subtractive, the term evaluates as 4 distinct terms with no subtractives;

====

translation please! bit like seeing a page in welsh - while we recognise the language most of us need a nerdish - english dictionary, or perhaps just an anorak?

Given that the behavior of "V" before a larger character is undefined, 1145 is only one possible answer, arrived at by assigning subtractive behaviour that wouldn't normally be there.

If you assume normal rules, where 5's always terminate a group, and can never be subtractive, the term evaluates as 4 distinct terms with no subtractives;

====

Dancing on a pin head.

I already said that you can't (under normal rules) use V as a subtractor, and neither can you (under normal rules) write a series of disconnected numerals and then add them up.

I therefore maintain that MVCL isn't a Roman Numeral.

Tony

Under normal rules.

390 Mainframe?

It came in with the system 370 machines (but not some of the earliest ones I think).

It raised the number of characters that could be moved in a single instruction from 256 to 16M and was interruptible. And it was neat!

I have to admit, having only watched the 'nappy pin' items being used ive not been impressed, we have a pair as per post 8, but only use these for over night stops. If staying longer or leaving the boat i will always use chains for securing to piling.

For mooring with stakes, we have a several of the standard size/lenght pins but find these on there own are only usful for overnight stops of very hard ground.

For longer or soft ground we use large stakes, 1inch diameter, and around the 750mm lenght. If needed i then double-stake with one of the above smaller pins, placing it a foot away and tying it to the top of the primary stake a little above where the line to the boat comes off. I have even tripled them up on occasion. I also usually use at least one spring (centerline) if not two. Certainly i almost always use springs if we cannot get into the bank, which is a decent number of the time.

Daniel

All of the above seems to be symptomatic of ropes that aren't tight enough.

Basically, you should be looking at the following checklist;

• Main ropes fore and aft running at 45 degrees
  • Springs running back towards centre
  • All ropes tight
  • Ropes tied off on board (NOT at the bank end of things) using a proper knot.
  • If using paper clips, placed adjacent to a piling bolt, so that they can't pull loose.
  • If using pins, good long pins, hammered well in, with the rope no more than an inch off the floor.
  • Pins at 45 degrees away from the pull line of the rope.
  • If in soft ground, use an extra pin through the eye of the first pin, and if needed a third pin through the second.

If all ropes are tight how does one allow for fluctuations in water levels? Where I'm moored tight ropes would result in big problems even with long springs set.

Edited by blackrose

Given that you should never moor using a centre rope, that would be silly.

It depends on how you use the centre rope to moor. As long as your centre rope isn't tight then there really is no problem. The centre rope is just there as a back up in case bow or stern should fail - or someone unties it! In addition to the centre rope I often lock the boat to a ring (if one is available), using a long plastic coated steel cable padlocked to my centre ring. I have learned from experience...

Edited by blackrose

It depends on how you use the centre rope to moor. As long as your centre rope isn't tight then there really is no problem.

The trouble is that paperclips don't work unless they are tight.

It came in with the system 370 machines (but not some of the earliest ones I think).

It raised the number of characters that could be moved in a single instruction from 256 to 16M and was interruptible. And it was neat!

Single instruction? Technically I suppose so. It's more like a subroutine!