BBC4 program

Derek R.

Featured Posts

I wonder how many people on the canals these days appreciate, or even have a clue, that all that went on. I also wonder if there are still people who would be willing to do similar these days. Do the modern day David Hutchins types still exist?

I also found it interesting how many people who volunteered were not involved with boats or boating.

Guess we will find out when the new charity BW decide certain canals are not worth the cost of keeping open, such as the Huddersfield Narrow

In the case of certain canals (such as the HNC), a legal liability to keep it open (for 125 years I believe) exists as a result of undertakings that BW entered into that would bind any successor.

In the case of certain canals (such as the HNC), a legal liability to keep it open (for 125 years I believe) exists as a result of undertakings that BW entered into that would bind any successor.

Indeed, or pay every last penny back... that would be a financial black hole for NWC

I've yet to watch it, as I was out, but Cath did, and declared it much better than the usual fodder.

I also found it interesting how many people who volunteered were not involved with boats or boating.

Surprisingly (to me) people throw themselves into massive volunteering efforts, but aren't necessarily that concerned about the reasons why it is being done.

I'm reminded of the "deviationists" when the Ffestiniog Railway was pushing it's re-opened mileage back further inland, but the original route had in the meantime been lost to the reservoirs for a hydro-electric scheme.

People spent years blasting and hewing their way through rock to create an alternate route, but their interest was often in that as an engineering project in it's own right, and many, I believe, declared to not actually have that great an interest in the trains.

Maybe a few seconds checking other threads before posting would help you discover that this item is already being discussed at length?

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=38231&st=0&p=689869&fromsearch=1entry689869

Tone

Thanks Tone, but it's the History and Heritage section that I browse, and it had not popped up over here.

Hi there

Just joined seconds ago, and finding my way around. Its a bit like driving around South London, no one seems to have told them that the War is over, and they can put back all the road signs, especially at major junctions !!!! Oh goody, there's a spell checker lurking in the back ground, protecting you from my spelling creativity.

A mate recommended I might like to join after mentioning the BBC FOUR "Golden age of Canals", where I saw a clip of my (late) Dad, with George, our horse, pulling Margaret, one of out boats, along the Llangollen Canal, circa 1962. I may have been in the boat at the time, but with firm reins on, coz I would have been a Toddler at that point in time, and getting myself into everything. My Dad was Pat Saunders, and I am Wil (William) his eldest son.

I would be delighted to chat with anyone who knew my Dad. Although he appeared on the BBC FOUR show, he was not mentioned. I for one remember him being very very very involved with all sorts of restoration projects, and being part of a huge canal activist network, from the early 1950's until his death in the early 1990's. He always had a boat or two or three or four hidden away somewhere, and always seemed to be fighting some British Waterways plot !

As for me, Dad once pointed out the point on the Llangollen Canal where I was conceived ! And much of my childhood included mucking about in boats, or with steam railway restoration projects, or other forms of industrial archeology, courtesy of Dad. And that childhood has lingered in my psyche for years, so I quite understand why I have an incredible urge to get my own boat and get back on the canals. I've had a couple of weeks back on water, and my appetite had become ravenous ! I've also been walking the towpath on the grand Union, from Brentford northwards. My last jaunt got be to just short of the port of Berkhampstead. Check out my facebook page if you want pics of my towpath wanderings

I am cruising the Trent and Mersey next week, from around Fradley Junction up to Stoke, then onto the Caldon and thence to beautiful Consall Forge, and the return journey.

So Hi there one and all

Wil

Welcome to the madhouse Wil. Not been around the cut before 1980, so won't have known your Dad, but dare say there will be someone who has. Don't forget to take a look up the Wendover arm before descending Maffas - nice little interlude. Then there's Aylesbury, always a welcome in the basin, but sixteen locks down. Narrowish ones, but very rural.

Derek

Welcome to the madhouse Wil. Not been around the cut before 1980, so won't have known your Dad, but dare say there will be someone who has. Don't forget to take a look up the Wendover arm before descending Maffas - nice little interlude. Then there's Aylesbury, always a welcome in the basin, but sixteen locks down. Narrowish ones, but very rural.

Derek

HI there

Looking forward to Tring, and the Wendover and Aylesbury arms. They have gotta be a bit more interesting than the Slough Arm ! "Come friendly bombs..." Hey, if I keep on in that vein, I'll find my way onto the board of the new waterway charity ! Dad was active on the canals right upto his death in '93/94, so its possible you may have encountered him at some point after 1980. While sorting out his estate, we found another boat of his, and I dare say there may have been one or two more moored in out of the way places. They were like mistresses, only that gave him a lot more pleasure.

Hi there

Just joined seconds ago, and finding my way around. Its a bit like driving around South London, no one seems to have told them that the War is over, and they can put back all the road signs, especially at major junctions !!!! Oh goody, there's a spell checker lurking in the back ground, protecting you from my spelling creativity.

A mate recommended I might like to join after mentioning the BBC FOUR "Golden age of Canals", where I saw a clip of my (late) Dad, with George, our horse, pulling Margaret, one of out boats, along the Llangollen Canal, circa 1962. I may have been in the boat at the time, but with firm reins on, coz I would have been a Toddler at that point in time, and getting myself into everything. My Dad was Pat Saunders, and I am Wil (William) his eldest son.

I would be delighted to chat with anyone who knew my Dad. Although he appeared on the BBC FOUR show, he was not mentioned. I for one remember him being very very very involved with all sorts of restoration projects, and being part of a huge canal activist network, from the early 1950's until his death in the early 1990's. He always had a boat or two or three or four hidden away somewhere, and always seemed to be fighting some British Waterways plot !

As for me, Dad once pointed out the point on the Llangollen Canal where I was conceived ! And much of my childhood included mucking about in boats, or with steam railway restoration projects, or other forms of industrial archeology, courtesy of Dad. And that childhood has lingered in my psyche for years, so I quite understand why I have an incredible urge to get my own boat and get back on the canals. I've had a couple of weeks back on water, and my appetite had become ravenous ! I've also been walking the towpath on the grand Union, from Brentford northwards. My last jaunt got be to just short of the port of Berkhampstead. Check out my facebook page if you want pics of my towpath wanderings

I am cruising the Trent and Mersey next week, from around Fradley Junction up to Stoke, then onto the Caldon and thence to beautiful Consall Forge, and the return journey.

So Hi there one and all

Wil

Hello Wil Like yourself I have walked the Grand union covering from Brentford to Braunston many times I also live cargo side of Middlesex. If you want road signs or man hole cover in this area they are to be found in the tot or salvage yards not on the side of the roads where they will again be nicked

jeannette

Hello Wil Like yourself I have walked the Grand union covering from Brentford to Braunston many times I also live cargo side of Middlesex. If you want road signs or man hole cover in this area they are to be found in the tot or salvage yards not on the side of the roads where they will again be nicked

jeannette

Hi Jeanette

I didn't set out to walk the entire tow path, I just went for a canal side walk at Cowley, but I kept going back for more and more. I'm not sure how far I'll get, as I am planning to move to Staffordshire before too long, but I've really enjoyed it so far, though the Slough Arm could do with something to liven it up! This part of Middlesex aint too bad for road signs and inspection chamber covers (not allowed to be sexist!), its South London Penge and Croydon, (or Croinge as it is known, though that sounds like a fungal medical complaint) that the lack of signs is really bad. KNowing my luck, the council will send out replacement covers to every household in the post, and being a postman, humping 600 of those buggers about would not be any fun. Having 600 SAGA mags or Sky mags is bad enough !! Posties are never happier than when they are winging about their jobs !!

A bit of Market Harborough on

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pt5Me7EyfRc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A bit of Market Harborough on here

Love the bow-hauling shots and the shots of Watford Gap and Foxton.

But where was that windlass operated footpath swing bridge?

Tone

That's the railway swing bridge over the cut leaving Oxford. Railway staff 'on the job'.

Still see the remains here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Oxford&aq=0&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=20.857001,57.084961&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Oxford,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.755603,-1.270375&spn=0.001328,0.003484&t=h&z=19

Edited by Derek R.

Got to watch it last night, and thought it excellent.

I'm no expert on the the better known boatmen and boatwomen, but it was fun to spot people like Joe Skinner, Rose Bray, (I think!) Rose Whitlock, George Smith, Charlie Atkins, etc.

I'm sure I'll watch it a few times to try and identify more people and locations, (and boats!).

I do rather suspect some of the footage didn't always match the story though, but I'm no expert. For example pictures of one unconverted narrow boat trying to break it's way through a near derelict canal looked to me to be of such an attempt on the Kennet and Avon, rather than the Huddersfield, that was being discussed at the time. I could easily be wrong though!

Got to watch it last night, and thought it excellent.

I'm no expert on the the better known boatmen and boatwomen, but it was fun to spot people like Joe Skinner, Rose Bray, (I think!) Rose Whitlock, George Smith, Charlie Atkins, etc.

I'm sure I'll watch it a few times to try and identify more people and locations, (and boats!).

I do rather suspect some of the footage didn't always match the story though, but I'm no expert. For example pictures of one unconverted narrow boat trying to break it's way through a near derelict canal looked to me to be of such an attempt on the Kennet and Avon, rather than the Huddersfield, that was being discussed at the time. I could easily be wrong though!

There were quite a few mismatches between the images and the comentary, but as I had already read most of the stories about Rolt and Hutchins, I was more interested in the Archive footage, most of which I had never seen before.

Like yourself, I also recognised quite a few boatmen and women ( you missed out Jack James). I also recognised several boats including (possibly) Pisces, in her Water Sprite incarnation. I have recorded the programme, and will be watching again to try and identify more locations.

Edited by David Schweizer

There were quite a few mismatches between the images and the comentary, but as I had already read most of the stories about Rolt and Hutchins, I was more interested in the Archive footage, most of which I had never seen before.

Like yourself, I also recognised quite a few boatmen and women ( you missed out Jack James). I also recognised several boats including (possibly) Pisces, in her Water Nymph incarnation. I have recorded the programme, and will be watching again to try and identify more locations.

I'm pretty sure that mixed in with the various clips, there was black and white footage showing crowds on the "blue" bridge at Little Venice (=Westbourne Terrace Road Bridge, W2)