mooring GU south

sueb

Featured Posts

Sue also professes to be Christian, but a "smack on the nose" doesn't sound very Christian to me either!

Did you not learn about the Crusades, at school?

...and who could forget the Spanish Inquisition...?

It is not only "Hippies" who practice this game. A few years ago we arrived late afternoon above Hillmorton and pulled into a vacant Visitior mooring space, only to be approached by another boater who told us he was holding that space for someone who had not yet arrived. My response was "Well he hasn't arrived yet, so I am staying here" There was a lot of grumphing and stamping from the the other chap who eventually stalked off in a huff, joining a huddle of boaters further up the towpath, who made frequent glances at us.

Who were these disgruntled boaters? A Lodge of Boating Freemasons who were having a meeing in Rugby, and had decided to all meet up and monopolise the moorings at Hillmorton. As it happened a space appeared some while later two boats away from us and the late member was able to moor his boat, but if looks could kill when he walked past our boat, I would be a dead man now.

I had the last laugh though, some while after they had all marched off in their suits, carrying their little black bags, the space behind us becacme vacant, and I helped Fred Heritage squeeze his 70ft Josher into the space between us and the late Masonic arrival, who did not appear to be very pleased when he returned. In the meantime I had a very interesting chat with Fred and his wife.

For years I have been wondering why it is that masons roll up trouser legs. Now its blindingly obvious. They stand in the cut to save mooring spaces for others that can do a funny handshake.

You see how it all gets so confusing when you don't know the funny handshake.

In a canal context, the only context I have come across Masons is as a type of boat paint.....

What about some special handshake, (maybe emulating a turn of a windlass ?), that you share with other boaters at a CWDF "organised" banter ?

Hubby suggest he leaves before he smacks him on nose. Hippy 'I don't do violence'. Hubby's reply 'I do'.

Sue

Happy boating!!

I think this is worse than being on a rota. I have never come across this but as an "aging hippy" I would simply have ignored him and carried on mooring up.

IMHO...if there is an empty space its mine!....and I would have just untied his boat if he had tried to tie it to mine under the circumstances....Sorry if that sounds harsh but I agree...It could be the start of something unless nipped in the bud.....Had something a bit similar at Foxton last year....turned up at the bottom lock...nothing waiting....to suddenly have boats untie from the visitors mooring saying they were in the queue...and they had booked in advance with the lockie....An earnest discussion took place between me, them and the lockie.....about how to queue etc...BTW they were all private boats who were v shiny! Wasnt impressed....Thankfully this years lockie has a far better grasp of boating matters and seems to have the flight running well!

Gareth

...Had something a bit similar at Foxton last year....turned up at the bottom lock...nothing waiting....to suddenly have boats untie from the visitors mooring saying they were in the queue...and they had booked in advance with the lockie....An earnest discussion took place between me, them and the lockie.....about how to queue etc...BTW they were all private boats who were v shiny! Wasnt impressed....Thankfully this years lockie has a far better grasp of boating matters and seems to have the flight running well!

Gareth

I think you will find at Foxton and Watford your position in the queue is the order you book in with the lock keeper, not where you leave your boat.

I think you will find at Foxton and Watford your position in the queue is the order you book in with the lock keeper, not where you leave your boat.

Yes I know that.....I moor near the flight!..I realise that you have to find the lockie when you get there.....its not (wasnt) the done thing to leave your boat miles away then get arsey when another boat appears....or give the impression that you had phoned ahead cos you were a better person!....

Gareth

:cheers:

Correct

Does "Leonie" still post on here, for example.........

Perhaps she is busy cruising - I have seen her in enough places outside and inside London to see that her cruising circuit is good.

Who's definition ?

Dave Mayall or a spokesman for the Bargee Traveller's Association ? :lol:

I was not suggesting anything about Leonie's cruising pattern, but am sure she has frantically denied that it ever happens that two "continuous cruisers" arrange a swap between prime moorings!

I was expecting a bit more debate from both sides, TBH, but I struggle to see "smacking" a plonker like the OP encountered as any less reprehensible than the behaviour being complained about.

We usually breast up overnight but I fear if there's a 'rota' we may feel it necessary to single them out. Looking forward to it. Being an ex-cop I shall of course have to work hard to control my apparent pre-disposition to violence.

Being an ex-cop I shall of course have to work hard to control my apparent pre-disposition to violence.

Perhaps I'm taking this too seriously.... :rolleyes:

I would never suggest a typical "ex cop" has any particular pre-disposition to violence - I would very much like to think the reverse is true.

So, if it is not your style to "suggest an annoying person leaves before you smack them on nose", (and I suspect it isn't!), I am not seeking to pigeon-hole you with someone of the same occupational background who would say this. (I think we have been told previously they are called "real men" :( ).

The way the conversation was reported initially, I felt it sounded a major over-reaction to the (obviously very) unreasonable behaviour being complained about.

I rather wish I hadn't started now, as other that Cotswoldman, I rather seem to be out on a limb, but I try very hard not to "do violence" either. :lol:

I rather wish I hadn't started now, as other that Cotswoldman, I rather seem to be out on a limb, but I try very hard not to "do violence" either. :lol:

I agree with you but didn't want to be the first to, potentially, upset a 'real man'.

My nose is just too pretty to be "smacked on".

Edited by carlt

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think threatening to "smack them on the nose" because of their behaviour is really any more defensible though.

Do you think that's a reasonable way of dealing with it ?

Does being an ex-policeman perhaps make it all right ?

You know you're getting old when you remember that telephoning the police meant that a copper arrived soon after and took immediate appropriate action, instead of turning up a couple of days later moaning about pay, moral and conditions and spending three hours filling in forms, before announcing there's nothing they can do.

Still - Freemasons, Hippies, ex-Police AND Hillmorton, all in the same storyline must be a Forum record!!

Does "Leonie" still post on here, for example.........

What's the point of this bitchy comment about 'alan_fincher'? I do still post here and I'm a little perturbed to be dragged into a thread such as this. Care to clarify why you've 'targeted' me?

Who's definition ?

Dave Mayall or a spokesman for the Bargee Traveller's Association ? :lol:

I was not suggesting anything about Leonie's cruising pattern, but am sure she has frantically denied that it ever happens that two "continuous cruisers" arrange a swap between prime moorings!

I was expecting a bit more debate from both sides, TBH, but I struggle to see "smacking" a plonker like the OP encountered as any less reprehensible than the behaviour being complained about.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I'm not a spokesperson for anyone but myself. Are you still hissed off because I dismissed your ridiculous theory that 'I can't moor anywhere in Central London because the scary people are on the moorings' childish wail some months back? Grow one and move on.

Edited by Leonie

Yes,

I think the behaviour of the boater being described in indefensible, if the situation is as being described - no debate there!

I don't think threatening to "smack them on the nose" because of their behaviour is really any more defensible though.

Do you think that's a reasonable way of dealing with it ?

Does being an ex-policeman (as I understand the situation to be) perhaps make it all right ?

Being an x policeman certainly does not give him any right to smack said Richard Cranium on the nose. But being an x policeman and having dealt with more awful situations thro life than you could ever comprehend he will be of no doubt that wether people like you like it or not you have to treat as you find and fight fire with fire, diplomacy with such an individual is of no use whatsoever. Being polite is ok with polite people NOT all people. Do you think the allies in the second world war wanted to fight ? No they should have rung dear old Adolf up and asked him round to tea and biccys to discuss things.

If somebody shouts BOO at you how high do you jump !!

Please don't put words in my mouth. I'm not a spokesperson for anyone but myself. Are you still hissed off because I dismissed your ridiculous theory that 'I can't moor anywhere in Central London because the scary people are on the moorings' childish wail some months back? Grow one and move on.

I'm perplexed. Can someone explain what this means, please, and how it contributes to reasoned debate.

I'm perplexed. Can someone explain what this means, please, and how it contributes to reasoned debate.

Think it's a mis quote TBH-

ETA - never seen that before either - one word string into Google brings up seven and half pages of the same reference...

Edited by MJG

It contributes nothing to reasoned debate. Alan wasn't looking for reasoned debate with his unecessary and snide 'Leonie' comment and I wasn't offering reasoned debate when I made my retort.