Hair Straightners

The Crusty Crow

Featured Posts

£100 for something that would last a while i can just about understand but I was looking at getting my hair cut and coloured in cheltenham recently and was hard pushed to find anywhere that would do it for under £100 and most women here seem to have their hair done atleast once a month! Mental! I do feel like a bit of a hobo sometimes but i'd rather feel like a hobo than waste £100 on a hair cut!

My girlfriend has just moved onto the boat and is armed with a variety of electrical appliances. I was using a 600w cheap Maplin inverter. Various low watt appliances like tooth brush and hair straighteners wouldn't work so I decided to buy a better Inverter. I've purchased a pure sign wave 1000w inverter but when she plugged in the straighteners It tripped the power. The straighteners are marked as 42w. I cant see them having such a massive start-up surge? Anyone out there know anything about running hair straighteners from inverters? ;o)

:D

There is a short answer to this one and it is DO NOT mess about with spending money on electrical wizadry it is simpler to change the woman for a boat friendly model. Hardryers, straightners etc have no place on a boat. My first wife needed all that crap so I simply changed her about twenty years ago to this boat friendly number it has worked a treat. There are plenty out there available in all sizes and colours.

Hope this helps.

Tim

• Greenie 1

Interested in the boat friendly women...Where do you find them? Mine hates the boat...

:cheers:

Ahh yes I used to have that particular model she wouldnt do locks or anything that could damage fingernails. You need to get rid, the sooner the better. You may take a financial hit at first but in the long run the boat friendly types win hands down. I found mine in a pub, a great place to start cos they also dont tend to whinge when you want to go to the pub for beer :)

sorry, but ....hair straighteners????? why?????? 2 page (so far) thread on hair straighteners.....why????

The boating world is going gently madder...........

As a child I would have killed for curls and waves (happily, grew into waves!)

I'm a boat ( and low power)friendly woman and will stay that way...short nails, wavey hair and limited wardrobe.my boat, man and dawg are what matters!

Edited by Ally

Sterling 3500W PSW Inverter seems to do the trick.....My GF's GHD's don't seem to take much out at all but the hairdryer she uses before the GHD's uses more power than the microwave oven!! Actually, that's a thought........I wonder if her head would fit (if I took the glass plate out of the oven first)?

Having just returned from a trip with three women on board all using straighteners and hair dryers etc. We have discovered that the more expensive ones dont like it (Modified SW). One pair of GHD's seemed to work but made a buzzing noise, so we didnt persue that :) But the cheaper ones worked fine :)

Husband and I both like locking, had many a 'it's my turn' moment, both like walking between locks, I'm on w.watchers have lost 5 and half stone ( in 16 mths and no, if anyone finds it I don't want it back !!! thanks. He just likes walking. I use hair straighteners (he doesn't), but not all the time, pointless if its going to pee down all week, wear make up and perfume. Given up the high heels, pencil skirts and long nails. They look a bit silly walking over a lock. I'd probably ladder my stockings on those very rough balance beams anyway. Bunny

Does he use GHD hair styling equipment, to do his locks?

Nope, he goes to London once a month and pays 'Mr Ducktails' to do it for him. :)

He does use a hair dryer as well yet I have never owned one. He's into the whole 50's scene and has a rather high upkeep Pompadour. I feel like a right scruff next to him most days... maybe i've shared a little to much lol.

I'm generally a take me as you find me kind of girl. The only make up I ever wear in the day is mascara and I don't really do anything with my hair other than stick it back in a pony tail but every now and again its nice to have the option of getting glammed up. Infact i've done it twice this weekend (hard work digging out two going out outfits from the boxes of rarely worn clothes under the bed.) and will do again next weekend as its my birthday. I'll also be out on the boat for a couple of days so best of both worlds next weekend.

UPDATE:

Babyliss Gas Straighteners arrived this morning. Tried them out. As I said before I have a short bob and done in sections they were fine for me. Daughter has longer hair than me and they were next to useless for her.

I shall take them on holiday in June but I'll also take my Tesco Value ones as a back up having used them before when engine was running with no problems at all.

As a new member to this forum I'm pleased to note that there has no interventions by the long standing members who appear to have an opinion on everything. Maybe they are keeping their hair care secrets to themselves?!

As a new member to this forum I'm pleased to note that there has no interventions by the long standing members who appear to have an opinion on everything. Maybe they are keeping their hair care secrets to themselves?!

What makes you think they have any?

Tony ;)

Well, of the 42 posts in this thread, 20 were made by long standing members so you might want to sue your maths teacher.

I see the first irrelevant, off-topic post, in this thread, was made by a junior member (you) so what, exactly, is your point?...if you've got one, of course.

Pointy hair?

Uh Oh!

Christian will be straight on to the humour police about YOU!

Is there no moderator on these forums to keep at bay the boaters who feel they have missed their vocation as stand up comedians.....?

Uh Oh!

Christian will be straight on to the humour police about YOU!

I don't wish to know that, kindly leave the stage

Richard

I am the humour police

Edited by RLWP

What makes you think they have any?

Tony ;)

Hair or hair care secrets...?

I managed to wash mine yesterday with Dennis' 'Woof and Go' (yes that is a real product...) thoroughly recommended. nice healthy shine, trouble is the bitch next door seems now to be taking an unhealthy interest in me....