Hair Straightners

The Crusty Crow

Featured Posts

My girlfriend has just moved onto the boat and is armed with a variety of electrical appliances. I was using a 600w cheap Maplin inverter. Various low watt appliances like tooth brush and hair straighteners wouldn't work so I decided to buy a better Inverter. I've purchased a pure sign wave 1000w inverter but when she plugged in the straighteners It tripped the power. The straighteners are marked as 42w. I cant see them having such a massive start-up surge? Anyone out there know anything about running hair straighteners from inverters? ;o)

My girlfriend has just moved onto the boat and is armed with a variety of electrical appliances. I was using a 600w cheap Maplin inverter. Various low watt appliances like tooth brush and hair straighteners wouldn't work so I decided to buy a better Inverter. I've purchased a pure sign wave 1000w inverter but when she plugged in the straighteners It tripped the power. The straighteners are marked as 42w. I cant see them having such a massive start-up surge? Anyone out there know anything about running hair straighteners from inverters? ;o)

Have you got plenty of charge in your batteries? Low supply voltage will cause it to cut out.

We have had the same problem. Seems the GHD ones are funny about their power. We have a 2000w MSW inverter and they just wouldn't work, but they do work on the 2000x PSW inverter generator.

I could make the same suggestions to your GF about the use of straighteners but I fear they would be ignored just as my wife did which resulted in the new generator!

Biggles

Hair straighteners are a regular topic on the Norfolk Broads forum. The following points always come out.

Try to get her to forget about it for a few days (often a non-runner)

Get gas heated straighteners.

GHD are the favoured brand but they are very picky and will only work on a pure sine wave.

Edited by Grebe

Sadly I happen to know too much about hair heating products (but that's another story). :blush:

The ceramic heaters used in straighteners have a bit of a vicous resistance vs temperature curve. They take a very high current on power up from cold and may well trip your invertor.

Sadly I happen to know too much about hair heating products (but that's another story). :blush:

The ceramic heaters used in straighteners have a bit of a vicous resistance vs temperature curve. They take a very high current on power up from cold and may well trip your invertor.

I would concur but would also ask if they work ok on a mains supply in the first place. Go gas or the wind swept look.

Electric Toothbrushes are awkward appliances when run from inverters in this instance because of the sine wave.

:)

Edited by mchancox

I'm not even going to try when I buy.

Circe can have all the gas powered appliances she wants. And hats. And a hairdresser when we return to land after our breaks aboard. (I hope you are reading this, Circe, my love... :wub: )

If the boat can't power her GHDs, she will just have to do without.

OMG

I have just realised I haven't tested the new boats ability to run the god dammed GHD's.

I'm gonna do it now. BRB

Biggles

Daughter took some brand new GHD's couple of years ago. Engine running, plugged them in and the plates got so hot they melted the covers!!

Lucky for her the shop changed them - she did;nt say she was on narrowboat at the time :rolleyes: Shh don't tell anyone

Edited by tillergirl

With those reviews! Bet they wouldn't even do my fringe! lol

I only really straighten my hair about three times a year but its nice to have the option.

Well I've only got a short bob so maybe they'd be Ok for me and I aint got GHD's - just Tesco Value ones so I daresay I wont notice any difference

Well I've only got a short bob so maybe they'd be Ok for me and I aint got GHD's - just Tesco Value ones so I daresay I wont notice any difference

Mine only cost about £6 but they seem better than those reviews. I've used friends GHD's and they are very good.

Are you googling the right GHD's Carl? :P

They do (she does) and she changes them about once a year as she is convinced they "loose heat" after a while.

I think there is some sort of digital controller in the more expensive ones that only like big PSW power supply as wattage is not that great.

When I did a test last night they made the inverter pulse once up to temperature.

Biggles

£100 bloody hell, why would anyone pay that just to straighten their hair?

Says me, bald as a babies bum :rolleyes:

"SWWRBBTS£100TSHH" says she'd rather be bald than spend £100 to style her hair.

Edited by carlt