What makes a boater?

Moley

Featured Posts

Sorry...!!!!!

Chocolates are distributed to all in order to make up.

Boaters are a wide range of people with all sorts of different views. Perhaps it is because of this that it is so enjoyable. Not only do we have other boaters to chat to, but maybe we are all more naturally relaxed when on the cut. Also, we all need eachothers help/advise and tips. Does this make us more tolerent of eachother?

As this is a thread about general harmony amongst most boaters, I'll not pursue the point beyond saying that you do seem sometimes to make sweeping observations that I can't necessarily go along with.....

Alan

Blimey Alan, you went to some trouble there to dig up messages of mine.

Stereotypes exist in various walks of life in my view. All it takes is for sufficient numbers to fit the image to create it. For example, I'm a keen motorcyclist and though I personally am not a typical one, there does exist a certain type of biker that fits a pattern. That doesn't mean that all bikers are like that, but it does mean that a large proportion are. How large I can't tell you but large enough for the pattern to exist. I'm not claiming there is anything wrong with stereotypes, which is possibly where you misunderstand me, just that they exist and do so because a sufficiently large proportion of a group fit the picture.

So I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that there are no typical boaters then? Or that if there are it is wrong to say this, even if true? I have seen enough bearded, dogged, real ale drinking cutters (and that's just the women) to be pretty certain that this image is founded strongly in reality. It is no use some people claiming that they don't fit this type, the point is that enough do to create the type in the first place. I stress I am not pointing this out in a pejorative sense, merely making an observation of what appears to be a frequent type.

I myself won't be a typical cutter. Dogless, beardless, real aleless. Incidentally I have over the last few weeks grown a beard, not so much to be taken for a stereotypical boater but because my girlfriend suggested it. A couple days ago I shaved it off. Although it saved on the shaving whilst there, I found it irritating. Half my dinner seemed to stick there and when I had a drink of decent ice cold lager, which as we all know but don't have the cojones to admit it, is the real real ale, it drenched the moustache bit.

regards

Sorry...!!!!!

Chocolates are distributed to all in order to make up.

Boaters are a wide range of people with all sorts of different views. Perhaps it is because of this that it is so enjoyable. Not only do we have other boaters to chat to, but maybe we are all more naturally relaxed when on the cut. Also, we all need eachothers help/advise and tips. Does this make us more tolerent of eachother?

Good idea - chocolates it is, (and sorry from me too!......)

But plain, milk, or white chocolate ? Soft or hard centres ?

Better have some of each available, I think - I doubt we are all going to agree a common favourite, are we :(

..................and when I had a drink of decent ice cold lager, which as we all know but don't have the cojones to admit it, is the real real ale..................

Sorry, I'm not even going to rise to that one, Steve B)

Alan

I have to say

in my family it's me who's the keen boater, I'd live aboard if I could, but my wife just isn't into boats as much as I am. she enjoys the gentle floating down rivers variety, but she doesn't do locks, swing bridges etc.

back to the original question

The thing that i've always found great about boaters is the majority are so damn accepting. appart from one person on the canal system I can't think of anyone who hasn't at least acnowledged a friendly wave, a good morning etc. the broads are slightly different, but still.

- boating is so totally absorbing. I've stopped taking along pieces of work to complete during a weekend's cruise; I never do. When I get on my boat, the stress just falls away, I breath out and instantly relax. But it's not a lazy relaxation. There's loads to think of and I find the days just rush by and you cruise gently along getting ready for the next lock. So, when I'm on my boat, I'm a boater and nothing else. It takes over my life.

So why do I waste time every day looking at this and other forums? Because the next best thing to boating is thinking about boating. I love to read about other's experiences and learn from them. It helps me to dream of exotic locations such as Braunston, the BCN and even Standedge tunnel!

Or am I talking gibberish? I often do!

Rob

Rob, reading this and Moley's early comments sum up boating to me. For me it's important to take the boat out regularly, even a day trip out, it recharges my batteries, and de-stresses me - it puts the world in perspective, and the petty worries of work recede. It probably sounds daft, but there are moments of complete peace when I'm boating - just to be out in the countryside on the boat, with my man. I don't care about the weather, even the hail and sleet we got caught in recently :( . I don't even have to be going anywhere, just being on the boat is calming (except perhaps when my bloke is busy with his head in the engine compartment at the back and there are various crashes and loud swearing B) )

I think about boating when I'm not boating, my screensaver is the boat, just so that it's always near!

God, this sounds naff, perhaps I won't post it after all!

Catrin

OK

I've got Rosie & Jim as my mobile ringtone. I got The President as my Wallpaper and I got windlass earings and a windlass over me bed and CW is top on my favorites list.

I quite like this canal malarky.

The very best is to be pottering along, @ - 4mph, glass of vino in hand and be driving under the M6 at 6.00pm...........Cheers! Lemmings :(

Chrissie

Well ya know me, I'm not really a boater yet so I can't really comment, but something I wrote on NBW 3 years ago sums up my expectations:- "........I want to wake up each morning with a different view from my bedroom window............"

Rob, reading this and Moley's early comments sum up boating to me. For me it's important to take the boat out regularly, even a day trip out, it recharges my batteries, and de-stresses me - it puts the world in perspective, and the petty worries of work recede. It probably sounds daft, but there are moments of complete peace when I'm boating - just to be out in the countryside on the boat, with my man. I don't care about the weather, even the hail and sleet we got caught in recently :( . I don't even have to be going anywhere, just being on the boat is calming (except perhaps when my bloke is busy with his head in the engine compartment at the back and there are various crashes and loud swearing B) )

I think about boating when I'm not boating, my screensaver is the boat, just so that it's always near!

God, this sounds naff, perhaps I won't post it after all!

Catrin

Yep total unadulterated emotional gibberish.

BTW I could'nt agree more, it gets me that way too. Am without my beloved narrowboat for the first time in 12 years having moved back to dry land. Have been to look at another boat to-day, I just cannot live without the things!!! B)

Could have written that myself.......... must mean something.

Yeah, and me. (although not yet the whole marryed bit)

Im fairly shy, and tend to keep myself to myself more than most.

- Also, i think its interesting when you become freinds with people, how simular there insterests often are, and the interests of the friends, and so on.

- Like forinstance, one day when i was down in the locoshed at GCR, we where talking about steam egines, as usuall, when i happend to mentined about emilyanne, turnes out about half the people there have, or have had, narrowboats. And ussally "obsucre" ones.

Daniel

...and to add a bit more.......

For a while I did the 'caravan' thing, believing that by joining a local club we would be folks with similar interests, enjoying the scenery, helping out when necessary, chatting etc. What I found was that I felt that everyone was watching behind net curtains, waiting for you to make a fool of yourself hitching up. There was a huge one-upmanship and most were folks were aspiring to move to Spain or get the latest 4x4. Neither have I found the same cameraderie at a Sailing Club on the southcoast.

My experience of narrowboating is very much more limited than most here but I have always felt welcome (apart from a loony who lived in a house by the cut at Macclesfield who berated me for having the hose across the towpath when using the waterpoint ??)

Here everyone seeems to have something to say or add to the experience from a cheery 'morning', to the guy with an old workboat who pulled over after the lock and invited me to see his beloved Bollinder. ( OK...I thought he said Bollinger!) Even an angler held up a tiddler to show us.

I think it is something to do with scale. It is a world clearly defined by tight boundaries and, in general, the vernacular architecture is small - bridges, towpaths and locks still requiring manual, physical effort. Walking pace is the governing timescale.

Also I like the fact that there is no 'restrictive code' - a special languge which excludes outsiders. No one would raise an eyebrow if you called any part of a boat by an obvious term - front, back, rope, roof etc. Try that in a sailing club!

Hey ho!......only 2 weeks to our hols :(

Chrissie

P.S Why have I got Warn: (0%) by my name?

Is that to report on my driving skills or incase I turn a bit predatory if I spot a guy with a nicely turned out 70 footer? B)

P.S Why have I got Warn: (0%) by my name?
Everyone does, but you can only see your own.

- There is system in place so the admins/moderators can give you "warnings" if the see fit. however ive never seen it used, so i just remains on 0%.

Daniel

It's quiet here today, so time for a session on the couch:

I have to confess that I have always liked my own company and never really been one for social gatherings or small talk, I like green spaces and proper pubs and intelligent conversation, hate cities and clubs.

Then I met and married a woman who's very similar. We don't get out much, know hardly anyone in our street, don't have many friends, and the ones we do have might be considered by most ‘normal’ folk as ‘a bit odd’, but what's ‘normal’ anyway?

Although I'm affable and trusting and treat everyone with equal respect until such time as they prove they don't warrant it, it may be sad and cynical but I have always tended to find that 90% of the folks I meet aren't really worth bothering with for too long.

So what is it about boaters? Why do I feel so ‘at home’ here? Why has the 90% rule been reversed and why would I love to meet the vast majority of members in this virtual community?

What sort of person is drawn to the rivers and canals, this pastime or lifestyle ?

What quirks, qualities or qualifications are quintessential ?

What makes a boater ?

Uncanny. All of this could have been written by myself... Good post Moley, made a lot of sense.

Oh, and by the way, many happy returns...

A story from a previous 'Waterworld'

This gent was retiring and he related the story of how his father taught him to steer a boat, the father put a piece of cheese on one side and a piece of bread on the other. The instructions then give were 'Ho to the cheese, or 'Ho to the bread'.

Never any menton port, starboard or left and right :wacko:

A story from a previous 'Waterworld'

This gent was retiring and he related the story of how his father taught him to steer a boat, the father put a piece of cheese on one side and a piece of bread on the other. The instructions then give were 'Ho to the cheese, or 'Ho to the bread'.

Never any menton port, starboard or left and right :wacko:

That is definately my kind of direction. I will try that with my crew when I am teaching them to steer - I think they now know to look forwards when doing so.

• 3 years later...
Better try telling that to my brother's wife then !.....

They restore interesting old commercial vehicles, (biggest thing in their garage is a Mighty Antar tank transporter tractor - unless something even huger has arrived since my last visit).

She has insisted on having her own lorry though, to hone her welding skills.

She doesn't look at all "male", and they seem to get on famously.....

Also, have you visited many of our preserved steam railways ? I think not, as it appears the number of "non-male" drivers and firemen might surprise you....

Alan

andistuff002.jpg

My wife Andi wishes to point out that she has wanted a Scammell Explorer before we even met, and the saved up and bought it on her own, and does much of the work herself. Her she cleans the oil filter housings on its 8 litre PetrolMeadows engine. The Explorer is her project. I am not helping it financial and that is how she wants it to be.

And her Scammell showing off its new toolboxes, that she made herself.

andiscammell032.jpg

Edited by antarmike