What makes a boater?

Moley

Featured Posts

It's quiet here today, so time for a session on the couch:

I have to confess that I have always liked my own company and never really been one for social gatherings or small talk, I like green spaces and proper pubs and intelligent conversation, hate cities and clubs.

Then I met and married a woman who's very similar. We don't get out much, know hardly anyone in our street, don't have many friends, and the ones we do have might be considered by most ‘normal’ folk as ‘a bit odd’, but what's ‘normal’ anyway?

Although I'm affable and trusting and treat everyone with equal respect until such time as they prove they don't warrant it, it may be sad and cynical but I have always tended to find that 90% of the folks I meet aren't really worth bothering with for too long.

So what is it about boaters? Why do I feel so ‘at home’ here? Why has the 90% rule been reversed and why would I love to meet the vast majority of members in this virtual community?

What sort of person is drawn to the rivers and canals, this pastime or lifestyle ?What quirks, qualities or qualifications are quintessential ?

What makes a boater ?

In our case, two untimely deaths of our respective brothers within six months of each other.

This tragic course of events brought our lives into perspective. From running around like headless chickens in our business/jobs, to an instant tranquility which hopefully, will be a form of therapy for two stressed-out old codgers. We've lived on our narrow boat for over two years and rarely visit our home.

Like you, I personally hate going into the cities, which I do occasionally to visit my client's premises. We find it difficult to tolerate driving anymore, probably due to the self-centered attitude of many modern motorists. Maybe it's because we're getting old and with that, we become intolerant.

Conversely, we love the solitude of life on the cut, even though, for winter months, we moor on a busy marina. In summer, we try to cruise about as much as possible. The diversity of canal folk draws us to travel as far as time will allow. Indeed, this last summer, we cruised down to Great Heywood and back, taking in some lovely towns such as Penkridge and Brewood, not to mention pubs like The Anchor and The Shroppie Fly.

The people there were really friendly and we sampled some of the folk/canal type music that was played.

A simple life, far more rewarding than chasing the rainbow! :lol:

Mike