Cassette toilet v pump out tank

Michele

Featured Posts

The only other thing that would militate against a pumpout in my view is if you have a mooring somewhere or cruise in an area where getting it done is difficult or expensive.

That is one thing I've thought about, are there areas where getting a pump-out done is difficult or expensive?

thanks

That is one thing I've thought about, are there areas where getting a pump-out done is difficult or expensive?

thanks

Well, the people we've just sold Warrior to will be replacing the p/o because they're on the Chesterfield where there's the one place to get it it done involving a lot of locks each time, for example.

Some waterways are better served than others, if you're thinking of being based in a particular area, you could scout it out or ask others. And if you are staying on a particular mooring, you might want to take into account the number of locks between you and the pumpout and the proximity of winding holes.

To the OP - this is a much debated topic on here. It is a matter of personal choice, established by doing what you are doing weighing up the the pro's ans con's of both systems.

We have used

- direct dump through (Mansfield Traveller type) pump outs

- remote tank pump outs with a toilet that macerates the waste and dumps it into a tank which is then pumped out.

- Cassette

The latter is our current system and it suits us for now. BUT If we are ever in a position to have a boat built from new to our spec. we will have a direct dump through into a tank that spans the the boat width and does not upset the boat trim.

As you have seen we all have our preferences. I have a dump through (20+ years living aboard) with a self pump out. I don't find paid for pump outs very reliable but we use them sometimes. It depends entirely on where you cruise,or not, and your style of cruising.

Sue

We have two macerators with remote tanks. We've been very happy with them until some trollop put a tampon down one.

Yeah that's probably too much info!

Broken finger edit.

Edited by Gibbo

Both types smell when they are emptied, possibly pump outs more than cassette as the contents have laid in state for longer

This should make it smell less as it should have broken down more especially if your not using chemicals and encouraging the natural breakdown. It's not worth "encouraging the natural breakdown" with cassette as it doesn't stay there long enough so chemicals tend to be used.

Michelle, for your information my wife and I have a 130 gall tank with a macerator toilet and a backup Portapotti but in the 5+ years of full time liveaboard ccing we have never needed the Portapotti (fingers crossed!) and the tank lasts us between 4 and 12 weeks depending on visitors (we never go above 3/4 full) We don't bother with a self p/o but just rely on boatyards with the occasional BW one, though it has to be said the latter can be a bit unreliable. If you have a small tank then looking for a p/o could come round too often to be worth it over a cassette IMO.

Our tank is quite small (less than 40 gallons) but it suffices for the two of us as it lasts about 3 weeks. We've also got a cassette for emergencies but we've only had to use it once in 20 years (except when we've got guests because then it's their "en-suite" facility.

ETA: PS it doesn't smell either.

Edited by Keeping Up

At least no one has mentioned that pump outs cost to empty and casettes are free....yet !

It makes me chuckle when someone spends 90k on a boat and then bibs about a tenner for a pump out.

The ones who pull their faces at a tenner for a pump out tend to be the ones who paid 1500 quid for the boat :)

<flak jacket is getting welll used tonight>

British Waterways elsans can be pretty poorly maintained and bordering on disgusting to use. A cassette is heavy when full and awkward to handle in the confined space of a narrowboat. I have a thetford cassette which I am quite happy to empty into a good elsan that said I would recommend to an older person/s, that they get a pump out so they don't have to physically struggle with the weight of a cassette.

When you say you have a cassette for emergency use, is this a porta-potti type that is stored away until you need to use it?

Generally those who have both have two bogs - just like a posh house ;)

I've read that cassette toilets can be smelly, (air displaced from the cassette when the waste drops in) do you find this?

Ours doesn't smell.

Tony

To echo Sue's point, the answer to this question will be threefold.

1) Does the boat you fall in love with (and decide to buy) have cassette or pump out? Certina aspects we though were non-negotiable turned out to be entirely negotiable when we found our boat!

2) Are you willing to pay money to have a pump out installed (or are you having a boat built?), or will you have to live with what's already on the boat?

3) Where will you be keeping the boat, and what will your cruising patterns be? Not all marinas have pump outs, others don't have elsan disposals..

We liveaboard at a permanent mooring with an elsan disposal point (beautifully maintained and never stinky, I might emphasise). This means that we use our little cassette all the time, and empty it regularly (like we bathe - every Saturday whether we need it or not ;) ) Or toilet never smells, and we use chemicals.

If we had a pump out, we would either need to self pump out (does NOT appeal to me) or wait for a pump out boat to pass (a tenner a go) or travel to pay for a pump out at a local marina.

When we cruise (we're heading off for a month-long trip soon), we just try to use pubs and supermarkets, empty whenever we pass an elsan, and cross our fingers (and legs!).

If, however, we were CCing, I think we might well consider pump out - although I think I would either keep a cassette for emergencies or get a 2in1.

Happy boat hunting,

Lucy

PS If you do get a boat with a cassette (even temporarily) spare cassettes can come in very useful...

We CC with two porta-pottis on board. We keep a car with us, so we don't need to worry too much about mooring close to an Elsan. Without a car, you will either have a very restricted choice of mooring places (and get glared at for hogging visitor moorings), or have a long trek to empty cassettes much of the time.

You can make a cassette last a long time if you don't put paper down it or use much flush water, especially if you're not on board all the time. We can make our two last two weeks when we need to. Otherwise, a pumpout tank can be a lot easier. If the tank is large enough, getting iced in isn't much of a concern, and a combined system (like the Thetford C250) means you have a cassette available when needed.

Make sure the tank is big enough to last a decent amount of time though. We had a boat with a 50 gallon tank once, and it only lasted about three weeks.