Midland Chandlers the cheapest?!

Tiggers

Featured Posts

After scouring the internet for manilla/sisal fenders, it appears that Midland Chandlers may actually be the cheapest! Does anyone know somewhere that can beat their price? Wish I would have gone and got some when they had their discount day now....

Limekiln supplied me with a Shurflo 30psi water pump a lot cheaper than other quotes I had.

Fenders are better at protecting paintwork though!

(:captain::lol:)

After scouring the internet for manilla/sisal fenders, it appears that Midland Chandlers may actually be the cheapest! Does anyone know somewhere that can beat their price? Wish I would have gone and got some when they had their discount day now....

It may be expected that Midland Chandlers will offer a reasonable discount (15% to 20%) during the Crick Show

I understand that all their branches - possibly even the on-line store, will also reflect the same discounts

It may be worth waiting to make your purchase?

Edited for spelllling

Edited by Grace & Favour

Like everything else cheap and fenders do not go together although I must admit that the fenders that we got for Chertsey at Midland Chandlers, Penkridge were pretty damn good. They are now on Warrior and Warrior's, which were made by Joe Hollingshead, will now adorn Chertsey after having been soaked all the winter in Creosote.

Like everything else cheap and fenders do not go together although I must admit that the fenders that we got for Chertsey at Midland Chandlers, Penkridge were pretty damn good. They are now on Warrior and Warrior's, which were made by Joe Hollingshead, will now adorn Chertsey after having been soaked all the winter in Creosote.

Creosote substitute, that is, before fourteen people tell us that creosote is both illegal and dangerous, and Alnwick tells them that it is in fact perfectly legal and wholesome, and where to get it.

Would you give us a clue of what type of fender you are after, button, side, tipcat etc?

Midland offer good value especially when the have a 20% off day

But how about £49.99 for a coir tipcat?

http://www.compassmarine.co.uk/product_cat.asp?CategoryID=94

Charles

Creosote substitute, that is, before fourteen people tell us that creosote is both illegal and dangerous, and Alnwick tells them that it is in fact perfectly legal and wholesome, and where to get it.

It is still possible to get it - and it is much better :)

Would you give us a clue of what type of fender you are after, button, side, tipcat etc?

Midland offer good value especially when the have a 20% off day

But how about £49.99 for a coir tipcat?

http://www.compassmarine.co.uk/product_cat.asp?CategoryID=94

Charles

Being a fendermaker I'm biased, but I believe coir is not a long lasting material for fenders on narrowboats. I have seen many of these eco-friendly imported fenders fall to bits within 6 months. Like most things you generally get what you pay for. If a customer wants a natural rope fender, I can make a fender in sizel (tipcat from £72), but for a few pounds extra they can have it in manila (tipcat from £76) a much more suitable, long lasting rope. Similarly I can produce a basic black poly, rubber cored tipcat for £72, but a rope cored tipcat with top grade staple spun rope cover would be £92. Properly constructed fenders require skill, time and a lot of material, ask anyone who has been on one of my courses.

There are about a dozen or so professional fendermakers in the UK, they all have there own ways of doing things, but things to try & compare are quality of construction, materials, size, and leadtime.

Midland Chandler seems to vary in its quality of fenders it stocks, sometimes using different suppliers, with varying construction techniques and materials, suffice to say they tend to be a little a bit more built to a price than to a standard.

Edited by NB Alton

Try Ebay, I had a set of 8 rope side fenders from a fendermaker in Doncaster KnottyFenders

Firesprite

You could try Mick Betts, who is on narrowboat "Agnes Blomfield", moored just below Cosgrove Lock. He's done some excellent fender work for me.