Advice for "First time narrow boater"

Featured Posts

My wife and I are planning a canal boating trip on the weekend of the 9th & 10th of April 2011.

I'm hoping some people of this forum could answer a few questions I have about the whole canal boating experience.

1. Where should we go.

-We are looking for a canal that will give us an opportunity to experience a bit of everything (ie. locks, rural scenery, local pubs, aqueducts/tunnels, etc).

-After doing a bit of research Llangollen seems to include all the above, although I'm a little afraid it will be too busy (we would like a bit of atmosphere without the experience feeling like Disney Land of canals- if that is possible). What is a typical weekend in April like on the Llangollen?

-Is there a canal with similar experiences as the Llangollen, but less busy, in a different area in England? (We are flexible on area)

2. How long?

-Over a 2 Day/1 Night or 3 Day/2 Night journey what sort of distance and what can been seen?

-If we decide on the Llangollen what would be a good town to depart from which would include the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct in this time frame?

3. How much?

-What is the reasonable cost of a short break trip (2 to 3 nights). Are some canals more expensive to hire from than others.

-Do we need to book over the Internet prior, or should we just arrive at a town and ask around the boat yards.

-Any tips on where/who to hire from? Does anybody a canal they would like to hire a good rate?

Thanks to everyone (in advance) who takes the time to post some advice.

I apologise if I sound a bit naive, but I'm really looking forward to experiencing such a beautiful area in such a unique way.

Stephen

Sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but think when you are planning on going in April the Llangollen will not be to crowded, because it is more or less the start of the season.

As for a good base, we went with anglo welsh from Trevor last year which is situated right on the end of the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct so it is the first thing you come to when leaving the base, unless you are going into Llangollen first that is in which case you will cross the aqueduct coming out of Llangollen.

As well as the aqueducts tunnels and locks on the Llangollen you also have the lift bridges.

Take a look at my post on the cruise diarys 1 week on the Llangollen that might help you.

Sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but think when you are planning on going in April the Llangollen will not be to crowded, because it is more or less the start of the season.

As for a good base, we went with anglo welsh from Trevor last year which is situated right on the end of the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct so it is the first thing you come to when leaving the base, unless you are going into Llangollen first that is in which case you will cross the aqueduct coming out of Llangollen.

As well as the aqueducts tunnels and locks on the Llangollen you also have the lift bridges.

Take a look at my post on the cruise diarys 1 week on the Llangollen that might help you.

If you fancy the Llangollen I would suggest Maestermyn as a start point. Take three nights and go to Trevor or llangollen. two locks each way, some good pubs, two tunnels and of course two aqueducts

Maestermyn Marine

Two lots of good, if different, advice there but, whatever you do, do not just turn up at a marina and expect to hire a boat there and then. You need to contact the marina in advance to make sure they have a boat for you and to create a degree of trust between you and the hire firm. Would you be happy to hand over a very expensive asset to somebody you had just met in return for just the hire fee?

Where ever it is you decide on enjoy the experience and take your time. Don't worry about how far you get it doesnt matter, just remember to turn around and head back at your halfway time. We went on the L&L for our first outing...........big double locks, stubborn paddle gear and heavy swing bridges (well they are if you are only 4'10!) and we loved every minute of it. Be warned though - if you do decide you like it you will have to do it again and again and again...............:rolleyes:

Where ever it is you decide on enjoy the experience and take your time. Don't worry about how far you get it doesnt matter, just remember to turn around and head back at your halfway time. We went on the L&L for our first outing...........big double locks, stubborn paddle gear and heavy swing bridges (well they are if you are only 4'10!) and we loved every minute of it. Be warned though - if you do decide you like it you will have to do it again and again and again...............:rolleyes:

As a "victim" of the narrowboating that as tillergirl says you will want to do it again & again(we are currently planning our fourth trip on the canals since 2006)my other advice to you is make sure you have plenty of warm clothes and if you can take more than 2 or 3 days(a week at least). As for where to go, there is just so much to see and wherever you go you will love it.

Edited by harleyj

To true, canal holidays should carry a health warning.

Can become addictive lol

My wife and I are planning a canal boating trip on the weekend of the 9th & 10th of April 2011.

I'm hoping some people of this forum could answer a few questions I have about the whole canal boating experience.

1. Where should we go.

-We are looking for a canal that will give us an opportunity to experience a bit of everything (ie. locks, rural scenery, local pubs, aqueducts/tunnels, etc).

-After doing a bit of research Llangollen seems to include all the above, although I'm a little afraid it will be too busy (we would like a bit of atmosphere without the experience feeling like Disney Land of canals- if that is possible). What is a typical weekend in April like on the Llangollen?

-Is there a canal with similar experiences as the Llangollen, but less busy, in a different area in England? (We are flexible on area)

2. How long?

-Over a 2 Day/1 Night or 3 Day/2 Night journey what sort of distance and what can been seen?

-If we decide on the Llangollen what would be a good town to depart from which would include the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct in this time frame?

3. How much?

-What is the reasonable cost of a short break trip (2 to 3 nights). Are some canals more expensive to hire from than others.

-Do we need to book over the Internet prior, or should we just arrive at a town and ask around the boat yards.

-Any tips on where/who to hire from? Does anybody a canal they would like to hire a good rate?

I apologise if I sound a bit naive, but I'm really looking forward to experiencing such a beautiful area in such a unique way.

Stephen

The Llangollen is a good start. It was our first canal and as other posters have said was very addictive.

Duration wise, you will struggle to find bases hiring out for 2 nights (and certainly not one). It generally is a 3 night minimum hire or 4 nights for the same price mid-week

For a first time hire, on the Llan-g on that basis I would 100% recommend Chas Hardern. Their boats are well maintained, at the right price and most importantly, the training is absolutely superb (as good as ours ! :captain:)

The Llangollen is a good start. It was our first canal and as other posters have said was very addictive.

Duration wise, you will struggle to find bases hiring out for 2 nights (and certainly not one). It generally is a 3 night minimum hire or 4 nights for the same price mid-week

For a first time hire, on the Llan-g on that basis I would 100% recommend Chas Hardern. Their boats are well maintained, at the right price and most importantly, the training is absolutely superb (as good as ours ! :captain:)

Yes - definitely agree.

We took our first holiday as a family with Chas Hardern. The boys had not been on the canals before so really benefitted from the excellent training. They only let a couple of boats out at a time so you get that personal touch and they are such friendly people.

One other thing to bear in mind, the 9th April is the start of the Easter holidays so it might not be as quiet as you may hope.

Try all the hire boat yards which are available for Llangolen, Chas Harden, Anglowelsh, Black Prince etc. Dont be put off by their online price, with it been such short notice you MAY get a good discount. Best contact them sooner rather than later. How many people are off?? You may find that yards may only have certain sized boats left. 2 canal virgins on a 69 footer!

Try not to do too much to quick, take your time and enjoy the cruise. Addiction will soon set in.

We first started hiring 2006 and have hired every year since and last year started booking 2 trips a year.

Let us all know what you finally decide and of course come back on and let us know what you think about your time on the cut.

Try all the hire boat yards which are available for Llangolen, Chas Harden, Anglowelsh, Black Prince etc. Dont be put off by their online price, with it been such short notice you MAY get a good discount. Best contact them sooner rather than later. How many people are off?? You may find that yards may only have certain sized boats left. 2 canal virgins on a 69 footer!

Try not to do too much to quick, take your time and enjoy the cruise. Addiction will soon set in.

We first started hiring 2006 and have hired every year since and last year started booking 2 trips a year.

Let us all know what you finally decide and of course come back on and let us know what you think about your time on the cut.

You started the year after us then lol.

Can only really comment on the hire companys I have used, but would recommend Black Prince along with Anglo Welsh.

Black Prince being the better of the 2 in my opinion

1. Where should we go.

2. How long?

3. How much?

Stephen

Hi There.I was on the Llangollen canal last year end of may and it was stating to get busy,but still good to do........if you go in august you will regret it.so april is a dandy time to go on it and if its just for a few days you could start at Trevour as mentioned and you will be in for a treat to begin with straight away.

the Llangollen is classed as a training canal by what I keep getting told by locals,because it has a little bit of everything to throw at you.locks with small side flows.a canal with a constant flow(nothing serious).lift bridges.a small staircase lock and the amazing pontcysylite aqueduct with pretty surrounding around and below.chirk aqueduct with a train viaduct running along side.

plenty of good moorings around and because it used mainy by hire boats everybody is on hoilday and upbeat,no moaning,well not much unless you go in august,plus In Llangollen you have electric hook up your own water point max stay 48hrs.

Llangollen is a couple minutes walk to shops/pubs and an intresting steam railway on your doorstep.and for a the canal is above the height of the town..........if its sunny you can moor under the trees on the linnear moorings or out in the open in the basin.there is a resonable fee for the two nights and the whole of Llangollen is a pretty and clan canal.....and a place for those in no real hurry.a great way to recover from jet lag....

book now to avoid getting a huge boat.a nice 40 footer would suit two aussie canal virgins.p.s Llangollen has a small cheap Laundrette and two supermarkets both small.

some pleasent walks around.

enjoy and book now......black prince hire boats would be my first port of call then anglowelsh and if you have lots of things to plug in on the 240volts ask the company about that as Im sure black prince or anglo welsh had none.....think it was anglo welsh so check first....take care.

Yes - definitely agree.

We took our first holiday as a family with Chas Hardern. The boys had not been on the canals before so really benefitted from the excellent training. They only let a couple of boats out at a time so you get that personal touch and they are such friendly people.

One other thing to bear in mind, the 9th April is the start of the school Easter holidays so it might not be as quiet as you may hope.

Sorry - just read your opening post again.

You will need a week if you decide to go with Chas Hardern to reach the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, and you only have the weekend. :(

Our second hire was a cheap deal on Ebay and covered the area you have in mind - they're not very big boats but are OK for two people and they are reasonably priced - being able to sneak into short moorings on that canal can also be handy.;)

Being a small family concern they were extremely pleasant and helpful people.

http://www.bettisfie....com/index.html

Hope you enjoy the experience.

Thanks for all the advice everybody. It's been very overwhelming! From your responses it sounds like we will be addicted from the moment we step on board...

After further research, we are focussing on the areas around Oxford or Stratford-upon-Avon (basically we have decided it needs to be easily accessible from London).

Are there any recommendations for a route that has a few locks to test us out as well as some quaint and picturesque pubs for relaxing after the hard work?

Quite a lot of locks on the S Stratford :o so take your time- but you do get to the basin in Stratford - start from Wootton Wawen. Pretty pub at Lowsonford. Ann Hathaways fathers farm at Wilmcote is worth a visit to find out where half the English Language came from.

On the S Oxford there are fewer locks per mile and several pretty villages, eg Thrupp, Cropredy. The top pound towards Napton is very quite and remote. I believe there are boatyards at Aynho and Heyford. You might make it to Braunston & the tunnel.

The South Stratford is excellent - the locks are narrow, with single gates at either end, making them pretty easy to work. There are plenty of places to stop off and it's a nice route. One of my favourites in fact.

One tip: some of the locks at the Stratford end are quite narrow, so raise the fenders. Most people on here will tell you that's good practice anyway.

The only other thing I'll say is, travel light. Boatyards never seem to be particularly near to bus stops or stations, and big cases won't fit in a narrowboat anyway.

P.S. Locks are part of the fun, and very satisfying once you get the hang of them. I dread long pounds with no locks!

Edited by sociable_hermit

The southern end of the Stratford Canal has a sequence of (?) 7 locks in a row which is not a problem but just be aware it will take quite a while and with just the two of you will be good physical work for a novice single crew. Forget the northern end as that has 19 or so locks in a row, not worth it on a long weekend. I was on the Oxford canal about 15 years ago and I remember it to be about right for the amound locks but meanders a lot (shouldn't be an issue for a 2 man boat but was a bugger for a 70 foot boat) .

When planning how far to go remember that, as the canals are narrower than the boats, you can only turn round at certain points. The official points are called "winding" points and are marked on canal maps (also most marinas or other side junctions can be used for winding) and the shorter the boat the easier it is to find an unnoficial spot wide enough to turn in.

The term "more haste less speed" is apt for a canal boat so take things easy, enjoy the journey and don't be too concerned about the distance you cover.

How glad I am that I have found this site. So much information and a good laugh too. :lol:

Myself and hubby are taking our first narrow boat shortbreak holiday 1st April! – Hope we both don’t end up being the April Fool. We can’t wait. We have done a bit of yacht sailing in the Ionian Seas, so have a bit of an idea, but still feel a bit nervous. The boat we have hired is about 14 foot longer than those we have sailed.

God help us if we love it, because already we seem to be spending every weekend looking around local marinas, walking along canal sides and looking at boats for sale – talking already about buying one for holidaying, if we like it.

We shall be picking up at Ellesmere, and are hoping to get there and back (wherever there is!)in one piece. Just taking it easy, taking in the sights of the canal side and being in the fresh air - plenty of chillaxing.

Thanks all for your interesting advice, already written. Hope we manage OK!

PS Thanks to NB Alnwick for welcoming me on board for the first time last week when I joined the site.

Ginger’s Girl

The southern end of the Stratford Canal has a sequence of (?) 7 locks in a row which is not a problem but just be aware it will take quite a while and with just the two of you will be good physical work for a novice single crew. Forget the northern end as that has 19 or so locks in a row, not worth it on a long weekend. I was on the Oxford canal about 15 years ago and I remember it to be about right for the amound locks but meanders a lot (shouldn't be an issue for a 2 man boat but was a bugger for a 70 foot boat) .

When planning how far to go remember that, as the canals are narrower than the boats, you can only turn round at certain points. The official points are called "winding" points and are marked on canal maps (also most marinas or other side junctions can be used for winding) and the shorter the boat the easier it is to find an unnoficial spot wide enough to turn in.

The term "more haste less speed" is apt for a canal boat so take things easy, enjoy the journey and don't be too concerned about the distance you cover.

1. Where should we go.

2. How long?

3. How much?

Stephen

Liangollen was a good idea, but all canals are nice, have been there and oxfoerd both gorgeous, my only tip is make sure you get a route guide so you have an idea where to stop etc and where to head for for the night, and plan the pubs wisely lol.

Definitely get a canal guide! I moored up the night before handing a hire boat back and fell into conversation with someone who had hired from the same company. He was moaning how hard it was to find shops and pubs on the canals and how he resented coughing up for a guide. The plonker soured a holiday that cost him probably £750 by scrimping on a guide.

I sympathised only because my wife had sensibly bought a Stephenson's guide behind my back after I'd questioned her "sense of adventure" before our first trip :)

Edited by Morat