Braunston Tunnel Tugs

Bones

Featured Posts

Apparently Frog has been out of the water for several years and the people interested have been told that she is in a field alongside the north section of the Oxford canal. They have looked when they have been up there but not found her. Does anyone know where she is?

A "Tunnel" Tug?

A 'Pusher' tug:

Were they not built so that during the work on the tunnel they could be turned around in its width? So possibly a tug for use in Braunston tunnel as opposed to a tunnel tug.

Great little boats.

Edited by Speedwheel

Iirc Frog was the runt of the litter and I don't think she ever performed as well as the other two.

Give UCC a ring. They'll tell you the full story.

OK - good idea. Do you know where Frog is now?

Who built them?

the bit in the article I saw says "They were built at Braunston in 1979/80 by the Union Canal Carrying Company for the purpose of fulfilling a big contract to repair and re-render Braunston tunnel. They were used for pushing pans of equipment and materials through the tunnel and have the huge advantage of being able to turn around inside the tunnel."

the bit in the article I saw says "They were built at Braunston in 1979/80 by the Union Canal Carrying Company for the purpose of fulfilling a big contract to repair and re-render Braunston tunnel. They were used for pushing pans of equipment and materials through the tunnel and have the huge advantage of being able to turn around inside the tunnel."

As UCC do not have a boatbuilding facility, I guess that they were probably built by Braunston Canal Services (ie Balliol Fowden/Roger Farrington/Dave Thomas) I will ask Roger when I next see him.

OK - good idea. Do you know where Frog is now?

Bones - give Robert Silverwood a try - quote "Here is sister boat nb. Mouse - they were both built (along with nb. Frog which I last saw in a field alongside the Oxford canal north of Braunston) for working as tugs during the restoration of Braunston tunnel - they can just turn around inside."

You could click on his name in the lisatings on the Derbyshire Photographers site Here

I'm sure you'll find that UCC could tell you. Their phone number is unchanged (01788 890784) and most of the same people are still there.

They could well have built them, they do have boat-building capability in their dry dock alongside the bottom lock.

Apparently one of their less endearing characteristics was that if you gave them too much power when you were not pushing something, they would "submarine" - ie the bow would dip down and then power itself downwards below the bow wave until the whole boat was underwater!

Bones - give Robert Silverwood a try - quote "Here is sister boat nb. Mouse - they were both built (along with nb. Frog which I last saw in a field alongside the Oxford canal north of Braunston) for working as tugs during the restoration of Braunston tunnel - they can just turn around inside."

You could click on his name in the lisatings on the Derbyshire Photographers site Here

Which field?

I'm sure you'll find that UCC could tell you. Their phone number is unchanged (01788 890784) and most of the same people are still there.

They could well have built them, they do have boat-building capability in their dry dock alongside the bottom lock.

Apparently one of their less endearing characteristics was that if you gave them too much power when you were not pushing something, they would "submarine" - ie the bow would dip down and then power itself downwards below the bow wave until the whole boat was underwater!

Well it would certainly be a challenge for anyone to build a boat in there, I have worked in that dock several times and there is barely enough room to wield a blacking roller/brush, let alone a welding torch.

They have not built any of their hire fleet - apart from the two most recent which were built by Dave Calk (I think) all their fleet have been built by Roger Farrington. I am not sure why they would not have also engaged either him, or Balliol, to build the tugs.

Edited by David Schweizer

genius! i now have directions to work out!

Well it would certainly be a challenge for anyone to build a boat in there, I have worked in that dock several times and there is barely enough room to wield a blacking roller/brush, let alone a welding torch.

Yes it is a gauging dock, not designed for maintenance work.

When working on wooden bends we have filled the dock, to put the straight plank in, with the boat floating, then slowly emptied it, using the dock wall to bend the plank into place, as the boat goes down.

Mouse as David suggests, is claimed to be built by Braunston Boats.....

MOUSE Built by BRAUNSTON BOATS LTD - Length 4.11 metres (13 feet 6 inches ) - Beam 2.11 metres (6 feet 11 inches ) - Draft 0.76 metres (2 feet 6 inches ) Metal hull, power of 42. Registered with British Waterways number 97549 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

Curiously around 20 boats are claimed to be Union canal Carriers built..... Normally it's the shell builder that gets recorded, but in this case I guess they just fitted them ?

BRECON Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 19.51 metres (64 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.68 metres (2 feet 3 inches ) Metal hull, power of 46. Registered with British Waterways number 501782 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

CHEVIOT Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 10.67 metres (35 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.61 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 10. Registered with British Waterways number 502697 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

CHILTERN Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 21.33 metres (70 feet ) - Beam 0.01 metres (0 feet ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 999. Registered with British Waterways number 48236 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

CLEE Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 13.41 metres (44 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.68 metres (2 feet 3 inches ) Metal hull, power of 42. Registered with British Waterways number 54620 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

CLENT Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 15.24 metres (50 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.68 metres (2 feet 3 inches ) Metal hull, power of 42. Registered with British Waterways number 54810 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

DARK GEM Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 12.95 metres (42 feet 6 inches ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.61 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 42. Registered with British Waterways number 104308 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

EAU ROUGE Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 12.19 metres (40 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.61 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 18. Registered with British Waterways number 54093 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

GREAT BRITAIN Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 21.33 metres (70 feet ) - Beam 2.07 metres (6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 999. Registered with British Waterways number 78373 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

GUINEVERE Built by UNION CANAL CARRIERS - Length 21.48 metres (70 feet 6 inches ) - Beam 2.13 metres (7 feet ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 50. Registered with British Waterways number 508554 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

HULBEN Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 10.67 metres (35 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.61 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 25. Registered with British Waterways number 54174 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

INDEPENDENCE Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 13.41 metres (44 feet ) - Beam 2.07 metres (6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 22. Registered with British Waterways number 79642 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

KATHLEEN ROSE Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 15.25 metres (50 feet ) - Beam 2.09 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) Metal hull, power of 30. Registered with British Waterways number 52813 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19/04/2008.

LANCELOT Built by UNION CANAL CARRIERS - Length 21.48 metres (70 feet 6 inches ) - Beam 2.13 metres (7 feet ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 50. Registered with British Waterways number 508429 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

MALVERN Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 12.19 metres (40 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.61 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 18. Registered with British Waterways number 53925 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

MENDIP Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 13.45 metres (44 feet 2 inches ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.68 metres (2 feet 3 inches ) Metal hull, power of 42. Registered with British Waterways number 503613 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

MERLIN Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 21.48 metres (70 feet 6 inches ) - Beam 2.13 metres (7 feet ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 42. Registered with British Waterways number 51128 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

PRICELESS Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 17.47 metres (57 feet 4 inches ) - Beam 0.01 metres (0 feet ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 46. Registered with British Waterways number 49361 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

QUESTOR THEWS Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 12.19 metres (40 feet ) - Beam 2.07 metres (6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft 0.4 metres (1 feet 4 inches ) Metal hull, power of 20. Registered with British Waterways number 73946 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

SELENE Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 15.24 metres (50 feet ) - Beam 2.07 metres (6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 999. Registered with British Waterways number 47576 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

WENLOCK Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 21.03 metres (69 feet ) - Beam 2.09 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 999. Registered with British Waterways number 50123 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

WREKIN Built by UNION CNL CARRIERS - Length 10.67 metres (35 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.61 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 20. Registered with British Waterways number 52371 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

Mouse as David suggests, is claimed to be built by Braunston Boats.....

Curiously around 20 boats are claimed to be Union canal Carriers built..... Normally it's the shell builder that gets recorded, but in this case I guess they just fitted them ?

Well that list is completely incorrect.

Guinevere (formerly Swan), and Lancelot (formerly Buckingham) were built (and fitted out) by Braunston Canal Services as sponsored boats in the Braunston Boats (Hire) Ltd. fleet. When Braunston boats (Hire) Ltd. ceased trading in November 1997, they were transferred to Wessex Boats at Hilperton on the K&A. Merlin was built for the same sponsor by another builder (possibly Dave Clark) and placed new into the Wessex fleet at the same time.

Brecon, Cheviot, Brendon, Clee, Clent, Mendip, Malvern, Wrekin, Chiltern, Berwyn, and Selene are all in the UCC hire fleet.I am not sure about Selene, but the rest were all built by Roger Farrington, and fitted out by UCC.

I cannot account for the rest of the boats in the list

Dave Hamster's pictures of MOLE, and maybe MOUSE too, are dated May 2008. The shot I took of MOUSE on the bank behind what was Balliol's yard was taken either late '85 or early '86, more likely the latter - and it was either new or docked and freshly painted. It did look quite 'unused', and Roger Farringdon was working there then as he and Dave did the steelwork on YARMOUTH that Winter of '85 - '86.

So when was this tunnel repair job undertaken?

Well that list is completely incorrect.

Guinevere (formerly Swan), and Lancelot (formerly Buckingham) were built (and fitted out) by Braunston Canal Services as sponsored boats in the Braunston Boats (Hire) Ltd. fleet. When Braunston boats (Hire) Ltd. ceased trading in November 1997, they were transferred to Wessex Boats at Hilperton on the K&A. Merlin was built for the same sponsor by another builder (possibly Dave Clark) and placed new into the Wessex fleet at the same time.

Brecon, Cheviot, Brendon, Clee, Clent, Mendip, Malvern, Wrekin, Chiltern, Berwyn, and Selene are all in the UCC hire fleet.I am not sure about Selene, but the rest were all built by Roger Farrington, and fitted out by UCC.

I cannot account for the rest of the boats in the list

Great Britain was in the hire fleet as a sponsored boat - certainly looks like she was built by Balliol Fowden or Roger Farringdon. A very nice boat to handle as a little Woolwich copy. Al Akehurst commented that with top off she would have made a good working boat.

gallery_3364_231_23547.jpg

Seen in this picture breasted up with Archimedes in Braunston flight.

Great Britain was in the hire fleet as a sponsored boat - certainly looks like she was built by Balliol Fowden or Roger Farringdon. A very nice boat to handle as a little Woolwich copy. Al Akehurst commented that with top off she would have made a good working boat.

gallery_3364_231_23547.jpg

Seen in this picture breasted up with Archimedes in Braunston flight.

I would put my money on that one being by Roger. Balliol's boats tended to have more upsweep on the bow.