What is this boat?

robkg

Featured Posts

Disagree, too much detail. It looks like it has been taken with a telephoto lens hence the shortened perspective.

Tim

I'm going to stick with the (very good) model idea because:-

The cloths and strings don't look right.

The mast box appears to be no wider than the mast.

The gunnels at the front bend in to sharply.

It is loaded but must be carrying cotton wool.

The drops of water on the cabin top look to big/out of scale.

The rivets are far to obvious (just the on line).

Of course I could be totally wrong :unsure:

Hmmmmm

Picture edit.

There also appears to be a break in the cloths right about a line in the hull - as though the whole thing breaks into two for easy carrying.

01a.jpg

Edited by Speedwheel

I'm going to stick with the (very good) model idea because:-

The cloths and strings don't look right.

The mast box appears to be no wider than the mast.

The gunnels at the front bend in to sharply.

It is loaded but must be carrying cotton wool.

The drops of water on the cabin top look to big/out of scale.

The rivets are far to obvious (just the on line).

Of course I could be totally wrong :unsure:

Also, why crop it in this way unless a view of the whole boat would show it doesn't have a steerer? It's a good model though if it divides opinion this much.

Must be another optical illusion, but the pigeon box looks to be on the squint.

The way that top plank is bent down looks very extreme. Is that realistic?

Can definitely see the join in the middle - there's a bolt in the upright and you can just see near the bottom of it that it's in two pieces.

Also, no smoke (though I know that's not conclusive).

I'm hoping that this was a trick question and that all will be revealed.

I agree with the above but perhaps it is the quality of the photo but it looks to me like a model rather than a full size boat.

According to the data on the jpeg it was taken on a Canon EOS 500D - which is a very good digital SLR camera.

The quality of the image is all down to picture manipulation - it looks like it has been 'tilt shifted' and the RGB settings messed about with. The picture quality has also been reduced massively. I can only speculate about why that was done, but the effect is to make it difficult to make out details.

There is an original picture of the FMC Eagle here.

According to the data on the jpeg it was taken on a Canon EOS 500D - which is a very good digital SLR camera.

The quality of the image is all down to picture manipulation - it looks like it has been 'tilt shifted' and the RGB settings messed about with. The picture quality has also been reduced massively. I can only speculate about why that was done, but the effect is to make it difficult to make out details.

There is an original picture of the FMC Eagle here.

I think that's a model.

Disagree, too much detail. It looks like it has been taken with a telephoto lens hence the shortened perspective.

Tim

Focal Length: 400.0mm it says there....

I'll go for model, purely as the strings look like they're made out of... well... string, and the fact that you can't see the tiller in either cropped shot has to be much more than a coincidence.

Good though...

Tone

I would say it is a model due to the appearance of the top plank and the strings, they don't look correct. But it is a very nice model.

What I don't understand though (and the real purpose of my post) is the original picture was posted by robkg, and then the second picture of the other side of the boat posted by Speedwheel. Where did the second picture come from, was it just fishing for photobucket URLs on Speedwheels part?

Edited by john6767