Moorings Management Proposals

matty40s

Featured Posts

Except that in many cases, what they do is not pay and not move.

Well we know that's your stated position, unfortunately it has one flaw, it's out of step with reality - unless of course you're like a rabbit; one, two, three, many.

Trouble is Dave, with such curmudgeonly generalisation you devalue whatever point you may be making.

I have yet to see any contribution to any of these repeating topics from anyone who wishes to occupy one spot for ever (except of course you and your continuous moaners moorers)

Little Venice is unique, is not part of the Lee & Stort, and bears no relationship to the rest of the system.

Sue

Where are you moored now Sue?

By who Chris ?

I can't say that statement is untrue in all areas, but I would challenge it in many.

I'm interested in reliable sources that genuinely prove otherwise.

BW in fact, FOI requests by NABO and the people at kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk have established figures that show liveaboards are not the majority of overstayers. When BW make statements about liveaboards being 'the problem' they have always failed to produce any evidence to back this up and always sidestep when challenged. I refer you to Sally Ash's infamous statement in 2009 that 'having walked between Bath and Bradford on Avon and trodden in dogshit we need to do something about this problem".

You'll have to do your own research, I'm busy but have a look at Simon Robbins blog and the kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk site.

Or you can ask BW yourself.

Where I was moored on Saturday, I walked past a visitor mooring that I had cruised past a week previously and of the three boats still there 2 were unoccupied leisure boats. Not evidence (in anyone except Dave Mayall's eyes) but it bears out what i know empirically to be true.

I've just realised that my suggestion of "little communities" is actually what the OP posted, and which BW seem to be calling "neighbourhoods".....now I'm confused..I dont want to agree with BW :) Apparently thats a bad thing.

The 'posh' boats and hirers then complain about all the floating slums.

What a lovely turn of phrase you have, Sue.

as someone who once posted:

I personally couldn't care less about the existance of tatty boats; rubbish on the bank etc

You don't half have a lot to say about them...and always derogatory.

What a lovely turn of phrase you have, Sue.

as someone who once posted:

You don't half have a lot to say about them...and always derogatory.

You shouldn't take what I write seriously. I come on here for entertainment :icecream: smiley chosen because I like it.

Sue

Well we know that's your stated position, unfortunately it has one flaw, it's out of step with reality - unless of course you're like a rabbit; one, two, three, many.

Actually Chris its you with your "we are not like that" mentality that is wrong

Come up to the GU and I can show you livabord boats moored on the towpath not on BW moorings who dont pay and have been there for over 5 years.

They have been joined by other that have now been there 6 weeks.

Deleted rant.......

Edited by idleness

The thing is, as long as you get a license for your boat, you have a right to navigate. It's a really, really popular place to live on a boat up here, yet we can't stretch the canal and make room for all the newbies that are arriving (I'm told it was two a week at one point).

I don't think it occurs to people (when they buy a boat), that this is a problem.

I can't see that many more moorings being created, because too much of both rivers is protected/nature reserves or unsuitable as in too shallow (see my post on Lee Valley Parks). So much as I see BW taking their usual sledgehammer approach I can understand the frustrations as the River gets busier.

Perhaps more boaters will move to Roydon Marina, I don't know.

Hi

How full is Roydon Marina and how much do they charge?

Is BW being 'influenced' by the new marina now they have made that investment?

It's its reasonable it should be bursting.

Alex

Actually Chris its you with your "we are not like that" mentality that is wrong

Come up to the GU and I can show you livabord boats moored on the towpath not on BW moorings who dont pay and have been there for over 5 years.

They have been joined by other that have now been there 6 weeks.

Deleted rant.......

So because you have issues with a certain minority of boaters you support rules that could affect 3,000?

Seems a little unintelligent to me.

I could point you to a couple of lighting engineers who are a pile of crap and have no social skills but I wouldn't put all lighting engineers in this basket.

There are laws, yes laws, not mickey mouse 'rules', that could be used to deal with your miscreants, BW themselves do not do this because quote "there's no money in it"

Hi

How full is Roydon Marina and how much do they charge?

Is BW being 'influenced' by the new marina now they have made that investment?

It's its reasonable it should be bursting.

Alex

It's a bit less than what I pay - £3300k ish for 57 foot and doesn't have any residential berths, although they seem quite reasonable about how many consecutive nights you can stay on your boat for.

I think it's pretty empty, because it's only been open about a month - they say they've lots of reserved spaces but there's no way of telling how truthful that is. It's not a BW marina, by the way, most of the Marinas on the Lee are private.

BW in fact, FOI requests by NABO and the people at kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk have established figures that show liveaboards are not the majority of overstayers. When BW make statements about liveaboards being 'the problem' they have always failed to produce any evidence to back this up and always sidestep when challenged. I refer you to Sally Ash's infamous statement in 2009 that 'having walked between Bath and Bradford on Avon and trodden in dogshit we need to do something about this problem".

You'll have to do your own research, I'm busy but have a look at Simon Robbins blog and the kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk site.

Or you can ask BW yourself.

Where I was moored on Saturday, I walked past a visitor mooring that I had cruised past a week previously and of the three boats still there 2 were unoccupied leisure boats. Not evidence (in anyone except Dave Mayall's eyes) but it bears out what i know empirically to be true.

The evidence alluded to is indeed evidence of the boats against whom BW are taking action, there is also anecdotal evidence which I would agree with. The problem is that the evidence is not definative being involved only with those against whom action is pending which may or may not reflect the make up of those "offending" and may or may not is not a good place to be when quoting evidence. The main point is the anecdotal evidence which as I say I agree with, but when Dave seeks to provide anecdotal evidence from his neck of the woods he is shouted down or decried. Why? What is it about Kanda that makes their evidence good solid stuff whilst other sources are to be ignored?

Difficulty, We all know which side of the argument Dave is on and it would be healthy to view whatever evidence he may come up with in that light. Similarly Chris, sorry, I do not trust the evidence you raise for the same reason I would not trust immigration figures from the daily mail.

So because you have issues with a certain minority of boaters you support rules that could affect 3,000?

Seems a little unintelligent to me.

I could point you to a couple of lighting engineers who are a pile of crap and have no social skills but I wouldn't put all lighting engineers in this basket.

There are laws, yes laws, not mickey mouse 'rules', that could be used to deal with your miscreants, BW themselves do not do this because quote "there's no money in it"

You say it is a minority of those that have declared that they have no home mooring that behave in this way then in your area it may be.

However up here it seems to be the majority. Apart from those two there are a further seven that have been there for six weeks. There are at least 3 more that I see on my way to work every day moored in the same spots and they have been there since the beginning of the year so if this is the minority there must be a huge amount of boat movements on the GU that I just don't see.

There is no such thing as a lighting engineer, and most lighting crew do have no social skills and are not very good. :blink:

You say it is a minority of those that have declared that they have no home mooring that behave in this way then in your area it may be.

However up here it seems to be the majority. Apart from those two there are a further seven that have been there for six weeks. There are at least 3 more that I see on my way to work every day moored in the same spots and they have been there since the beginning of the year so if this is the minority there must be a huge amount of boat movements on the GU that I just don't see.

There is no such thing as a lighting engineer, and most lighting crew do have no social skills and are not very good. :blink:

It stands to reason that if they are operating within the law you probably wouldn't notice their cruising patterns.

10 boats is a majority of those without home mooring on the Grand Union? Then there doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

It stands to reason that if they are operating within the law you probably wouldn't notice their cruising patterns.

10 boats is a majority of those without home mooring on the Grand Union? Then there doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

Sometimes I wonder?

2 + 7 + 3 = 10?

I don't think so

I was taught that it made 12

so you are saying that 12 boats overstaying that I definitely know about, there are more but I haven't been past where they are, in a 10km stretch of canal ( Berko to Hunton Bridge) is not excessive?

Edited by NB Alnwick
inappropriate content removed

Sometimes I wonder?

2 + 7 + 3 = 10?

I don't think so

I was taught that it made 12

so you are saying that 12 boats overstaying that I definitely know about, there are more but I haven't been past where they are, in a 10km stretch of canal ( Berko to Hunton Bridge) is not excessive?

Irrelevant, If you could prove there were 100 boats overstaying per mile Chris would still turn that into a reason to discredit you in order to discredit evidence he simply does not want to acknowledge. Get this straight, there are NO boats overstaying especially liveaboards, if you claim to have seen them then that shows that you are so bitter about the free spirits of the waterways you will actually lie to drop them in it, shame on you.

Chris is however correct that nearly all of the overstayers on the much disputed western K&A are unnatended liesure boats, this has been the case since the "moorings consultation" began when suddenly liveaboards that never moved started shuffling around and swearing blind 'twas always thus.

There, that should be enough to get me roundly insulted by the ministry of truth.

Edited by NB Alnwick
inappropriate content removed from quoted text