mooring on the cut

jenlyn

Featured Posts

according to the local grapevine, it seems BW have won a court case against a boater overstaying, the boater has 8 weeks to comply with BW requests, or his boat will be removed from the system. I dont have full information yet, as have not spoken to the boater. Although he has in my opinion been taking the p*ss anyway, this could result in BW taking things a lot further

according to the local grapevine, it seems BW have won a court case against a boater overstaying, the boater has 8 weeks to comply with BW requests, or his boat will be removed from the system. I dont have full information yet, as have not spoken to the boater. Although he has in my opinion been taking the p*ss anyway, this could result in BW taking things a lot further

:D

Here we go again...........

Popcorn anyone ?

Good!

It is about time they started kicking arses.

Good!

It is about time they started kicking arses.

this is true enough, but i dont trust BW in its present form and wonder what implications this result will have, regarding the use or abuse of BW powers (bearing in mind, that none of them seem to know a lot about canals and boating)

It's not that South African guy on the widebeam opposite UBC by any chance is it? He's been there for years! Nice guy but he does take the p*ss and I don't now how he gets away with it.

this is true enough, but i dont trust BW in its present form and wonder what implications this result will have, regarding the use or abuse of BW powers (bearing in mind, that none of them seem to know a lot about canals and boating)

Should not be a problem for anyone who is sticking to the rules.

About time IMO, sick of coming across boats over staying or not being able to get into water points due to ignorant selfish no marks usually on un licensed boats.

There had my rant on the subject

We are on the Ashby,and have just past Market bosworth.There is a Cruiser moored near the road bridge thats totally covered in green slimey mold.Its Licence ran out on 11/09. It has no warning tags on it either.And we worry about over staying on a 48hr max mooring.The only time we did that was during the ice at christmas,then it was 6 weeks.

I don't think it's the first time this has happened in the London area - I've heard on the grapevine about other boats refused license renewals because they don't move at all . As another boater said to me (about the matter), it's not exactly hard to move a bit, even if you have to bow haul.

I think there has been increasing pressure from what some boaters have told me, I've seen a few boats take up moorings recently after years of cc-ing but I know even more boaters who want moorings but there's no availability of affordable moorings anymore. The demand is too great.

Before the auction system started the (max 49 foot) pontoon moorings up here were £2500k p.a. The auctions that have been won here, well you can double that! If you want online for a reasonable boat length, then double it again!

Infact another of my neighbours is packing up and leaving our marina because the mooring fee is due, he's lost his job and it's more than he can pay.

We are on the Ashby,and have just past Market bosworth.There is a Cruiser moored near the road bridge thats totally covered in green slimey mold.Its Licence ran out on 11/09. It has no warning tags on it either.And we worry about over staying on a 48hr max mooring.The only time we did that was during the ice at christmas,then it was 6 weeks.

Is it on a prime mooring right by the road bridge?

A cautious congratulations to BW for applying the rules.

As we dont the background - location/boat etc then its hard to make any further comment,

but if they have been successful in court it (generally) means they will have had to demonstrate that the boat is in breach and that they will have taken reasonable steps to communicate the options and implications of failing to adhere to the rules and request to comply.

Can't say I have a lot of sympathy for the boater (if the piss-taking reported above is true). He's nabbed a mooring that suits him for however long it is, and now he has to start obeying the rules. He's not exactly been hard done by.

I'm not entirely sure what there is to worry about. They're not going to start taking people to court for trivial reasons, or where they have a genuine defence - it would be far too expensive. As long as they apply the same criteria for prosecuting those with home moorings as they do to CCers, I don't have a problem.

we have had a couple of hard winters, and BW this year seemed to have introduced a lot more winter moorings on the visitor moorings. not all of us (me included) want a winter mooring, i like to move about, even in winter (weather permiting). I can see they need more revenue, no problem with that, but if your stuck in ice on a visitor mooring that has been allocated to winter mooring, where will we stand, will we get an overstay notice, will we get a letter informing us that we will have to pay for the mooring? I wouldnt mind paying a little extra for my cc license each year if it gave me a permit to moor in winter (more revenue for them and no more moaning about cc'ers taking the pee). a bit of work involved for BW, as they would have to allocate numbers to the mooring and issue to us, but surely, this could be a fair way of doing it?

If you're iced in, you can't move. It doesn't matter if someone else has booked the spot for winter - if you can't move off it, they can't get to it. I can't see any reason why there are any implications from this case for that situation.

If you're iced in, you can't move. It doesn't matter if someone else has booked the spot for winter - if you can't move off it, they can't get to it. I can't see any reason why there are any implications from this case for that situation.

Indeed. I was iced in on a 48 hour mooring for six weeks, with no comeback. I believe BW suspended the mooring restrictions for the duration of the freeze.