Boat chauffeuring

canallover

Featured Posts

I have had a thought of hiring out myself, and my boat as a kind of boat chauffeur where for 2 weeks I live in the back cabin, with a small cooler box, kettle etc, and a camping shower arrangement.. looking after the engine room..which then has a locked door seperating the front section of the boat..where guests could get on with boat life in style...lounge, kitchen, double bed, bathroom, front cratch table/chairs viewpoint. They would be responsible for cooking their own meals, while I would take care of water refills, toilet emptying. I would teach them to steer the boat, and I would do the locks. I'd stay out the way when not wanted/needed. I thought this type of thing might suit elderly, or holidayers who want to experience the canals but aren't keen on messing with checking oil etc.

My questions would be....:

1. is this legal..or would I have to get a specific permit/licence from BW.

2. Would people need special insurance or not.

The way I see it...they are just guests on the boat...for 2weeks ...isnt that the same as having friends come aboard for a bit?

I have had a thought of hiring out myself, and my boat as a kind of boat chauffeur where for 2 weeks I live in the back cabin, with a small cooler box, kettle etc, and a camping shower arrangement.. looking after the engine room..which then has a locked door seperating the front section of the boat..where guests could get on with boat life in style...lounge, kitchen, double bed, bathroom, front cratch table/chairs viewpoint. They would be responsible for cooking their own meals, while I would take care of water refills, toilet emptying. I would teach them to steer the boat, and I would do the locks. I'd stay out the way when not wanted/needed. I thought this type of thing might suit elderly, or holidayers who want to experience the canals but aren't keen on messing with checking oil etc.

The way I see it...they are just guests on the boat...for 2weeks ...isnt that the same as having friends come aboard for a bit?

Maybe if you you make no charge whatsoever. Otherwise I think you will find you are just a very little hotelboat, plus if you propose to give instruction you become a boating school, both of which require insurance so that when one of your guests sprains a toe and sues you, you don't lose your boat. As you've now made your proposal public I guess both BW and HMR&C will be keeping a look out for you (as will other hotel boat and boat school owners whose livelihood you will be in competition with!).

The link is on the left hand side of the page you quote

http://britishwaterways.co.uk/license-it/choosing-and-buying-a-licence/licence-fees

HTH

Howard

Thanks very much. I clicked on the pdf showing pricing, and they give 4 options:

30day explorer

1month

1 week

1 day

Does this mean that you have to apply for a licence each time you plan a trip? ...and if you want to hire your boat out for 5 days for example..would you have to pay for 5 1 day licenses perhaps. If anyone could shed more light on how it works, I'd appreciate it. I dont plan on doing this soon, but it's always good to know how you can earn extra money on the canals.

Think that would depend if you are charging them, as by charging you would be deamed to be running a bussiness.

I think using your boat commercially in this way would also mean that you had to have the "higher" standard of BSS inspection that covers hire boats, and boats let for gain.

This is more stringent in some areas than the BSS you have to pass for a private leisure boat.

BW are at the moment are reforming the business license, they propose to charge the following for hotel boats:

£6/- per passenger + the boat length in metres x £25/- plus the normal craft licence. You will also need passenger boat insurance You could contact Knighthood Assurance ( Toby Edwards) 0n 01324 327111 for advice and costings. They insure a great many of the small passenger boats in the UK.

Your boat will have to comply with the Small Passenger Boat Code ( MCA)and you

will also need to have a Boatmaster licence of some sort as well.

Edited by Dalesman

Others have already commented on the licensing problems but this is what bothers me

looking after the engine room..which then has a locked door seperating the front section of the boat..

Dont think I would want to be locked in the front if there is a fire in the bow section.

This is what the new owners of Hawkesbury are doing. I've chatted to the guy and he reckons it's successful - though that does have the added interest of being a 'historic' boat.

see here

Don't think you need Boatmaster if you carry fewer than 12 passengers.

Edited by Chertsey

Others have already commented on the licensing problems but this is what bothers me

Dont think I would want to be locked in the front if there is a fire in the bow section.

I shouldnt of said locked...more like..."staff only" sign on the one side:)

Sounds like a good idea and you may have your first client. It would only be for a week though. Late July, maybe the last week.

1] Cost?

2] Specs of your boat.

3] Where are you based.

Sorry...only thinking of starting something like this in 2012. When's the Olympics..

This is what the new owners of Hawkesbury are doing. I've chatted to the guy and he reckons it's successful - though that does have the added interest of being a 'historic' boat.

see here

Don't think you need Boatmaster if you carry fewer than 12 passengers.

Could not get the link to work - but found the site here

£6/- per passenger + the boat length in metres x £25/- plus the normal craft licence.

So for a 57ft boat, with 2 berths and gold licence

(2 x 6 + 17.5 )x 25 = £737.50 plus £987

£1724.50 per year (approx!)

Plus insurance and the more stringent BSS.

This is more stringent in some areas than the BSS you have to pass for a private leisure boat.

Yes you have to comply with the 2002 regs which are for GS(IU)R compliant boats (residential, hireboats and other non-private craft) as opposed to the 2005 regs for everyone else.

Gas tightness testing has to be done by a Gas Safe Engineer too.

Edited by Speedwheel

So for a 57ft boat, with 2 berths and gold licence

(2 x 6 + 17.5 )x 25 = £737.50 plus £987

£1724.50 per year (approx!)

Plus insurance and the more stringent BSS.

.... and you might then need MCA inspections if you are running a business aboard. Don't go there!

However, there is nothing stopping you inviting guests aboard who then share costs with you. The problems would arise if you were making a profit.

The point about boatmaster licences for boats carrying 12 or less passengers was left up to the licensing authority in the end, but I know the MCA are still trying to push it. I don't think BW implemented it.

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

BW are at the moment are reforming the business license, they propose to charge the following for hotel boats:

£6/- per passenger + the boat length in metres x £25/- plus the normal craft licence. You will also need passenger boat insurance You could contact Knighthood Assurance ( Toby Edwards) 0n 01324 327111 for advice and costings. They insure a great many of the small passenger boats in the UK.

Your boat will have to comply with the Small Passenger Boat Code ( MCA)and you

will also need to have a Boatmaster licence of some sort as well.

You may have to demonstrate to BW that you have a "business" mooring with proper car parking, rubbish and sewage disposal facilities too.

Otherwise, go for it. Hotel boats do make money

Richard

There was talk of you needing one to skipper any boat with a trading licence

I understood it to be for any boat that was not a private pleasure boat or standard hire boat, although there is clearly alot of miss-understanding about this requirement and equally alot of difficulty in finding factual answers ! This is the sole reason I have not been boating since the Braunston boat show of 2007 (I was a Steerer for a charity that operates a 'historic' narrow boat pair).