What is it called and what does it do?

canallover

Featured Posts

I am sure someone will know this answer. Just after my water pump, is a thing which looks like a round, sealed, "container" which I can only imagine might be used to control the flow somehow...not the speed of the flow, but could it be the flow/pressure or something... it has no wires to it...so it's kinda like a vessel where bubbles can be controlled..maybe to stop the pump cutting out every few seconds etc...

I looked up "calorifier" but I see that is actually a boiler type thing. What is the thing I am looking at...? The pipes from it then go to the sink/gas water heater etc

What is it called and what does it do?

it has no wires to it..What is it called and what does it do?

Just don't cut the red wire!!

Someone in the past must have made it safe, as there are no wires to it, probably to make it less likely to explode, or to transform a bomb into an accumulator tank.

Peter.

MJG.

piece of cake -

just cut the pipe after the pump by the width of the accumaltor fitting -

Best to shut the water off first though !

when you buy advise the chandlers what type / size of pipe eg copper/hep etc and they should have the right fittings to go.

I have two installed One for cold water and another on the boiler/heating circuit.. they look like red bombs but were very straight forward and everything worked first time....

min you with my bodging skillls I might just have been lucky......!! :wacko:

MJG.piece of cake - just cut the pipe after the pump by the width of the accumaltor fitting - Best to shut the water off first though !when you buy advise the chandlers what type / size of pipe eg copper/hep etc and they should have the right fittings to go.I have two installed One for cold water and another on the boiler/heating circuit.. they look like red bombs but were very straight forward and everything worked first time....min you with my bodging skillls I might just have been lucky......!! :wacko:

I was told that the red ones are for NON potable water as they do not have a lining and are therefore cheaper. The blue ones have a liner and should be used for the cold drinking water feed. I did not bother with one until I fitted the gas boiler. The surging water was making the gas light and go out and light and go out, and it was not hot enough.

Fitting is simple, but I would visit a plumbers merchant or Screwfix (you will get 10x the amount req from screwfix but for the same price).

You will need

1x t compression or pushfit fitting

1x 3/4inch tap connector about 300mm long(the armoured flexi type)

a bit of ply or wood to make a bracket to fix the accumulator on to.

I was told that the red ones are for NON potable water as they do not have a lining and are therefore cheaper.

Whilst sometimes true, by no means always true, so I am afraid you were told wrong.

The much sold (but expensive!) Surejust ones are usually red, but are proper accumulators with a bladder, specifically designed for potable water.

But, as someone else said, my actual accumulator is white anyway......