Highlights of 2010

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Hey that's me on the back there, again! Janet's picture is certainly one to treasure.

A reminder that Janet might have had a slightly rougher ride.....

DSCF2461.jpg

Our boating year has been heavily curtailed, (me in hospital at start of year, my mum in hospital now), but our debut on the tidal Thames also had to be a highlight.

2852_Thames_Clipper_Behind.jpg

That and getting our boat dog, the lovely Charlie.....

2903_Charlie_on_Thames.jpg

And we did finally get over 90% of the way tthough giving the boat a very much needed repaint, before our boating year got summarily curtailed.

Chalice_Jaunt_2.jpg

Unless your boat is very short, you need to have a VHF radio, and have passed the necessary qualification to use it.

Otherwise, yes, anybody can!

(That's Tower Bridge, by the way!)

Great Pictures Alan!

Hey that's me on the back there, again! Janet's picture is certainly one to treasure.

Unless your boat is very short, you need to have a VHF radio, and have passed the necessary qualification to use it.

Otherwise, yes, anybody can!

(That's Tower Bridge, by the way!)

It is London Bridge (clearly visible just beyond Tower Bridge) rolleyes.gif

Highlights of the year included

Dropping anchor in the backwater behind Ham Island (Thames) and having a swim on a roasting hot August day

165768_10150148462179908_638159907_8184406_5546561_n.jpg

Getting the canoe - we attempted to boat every bit of water we could see that stuck out from the Upper Thames, we did the Thame, the Evenlode but the highlight was the Thames above Inglesham, didn't make it as far as Cricklade due to fallen willows and failing light - that's a task for next year.....yes, even the dog loves the canoe :)

163222_10150148464229908_638159907_8184415_2457689_n.jpg

Beautiful light and the best weather on the September Evening - really recommend this bit of the upper Thames, so quiet - no canoe? Walk, it is gorgeous.

165316_10150148464254908_638159907_8184416_5338323_n.jpg

Really brilliant weather all the way home on the GU, highlight being visiting Whippendell woods in Watford when it was at the height of its powers.

163700_10150148464869908_638159907_8184420_2157367_n.jpg

Edited by Lady Muck

Several highlights this year:

1. Being in a position to buy our own boat at last
  2. Finding the right narrowboat
  3. Having it surveyed
  4. Buying it and having it transported by road and craned back in
  5. Finally getting to go on our maiden voyage

Joined a good club and secured the moorings that we are very happy with. Enjoying it more each time we visit which is most weekends as we are fortunate to live about 50 miles from the moorings. It just gets better and better.

Doug

Mmm ..

The story about the change of status for BW was probably the biggest, I liked the one about the French Cat too - the man living in a tent wanting to die had a happy ending (i.e. he is being cared for!) ... so many to chose from!

But right now, the highlight of the year is a bottle of Old Pulteney (the genuine maritime malt) currently under test (as I type this) to see if it is the right 'wee dram' to finish the night with, during the 2011 season!

Smart arse!

.......But you are trying to "educate" a man who can't tell the red buoys from the green buoys!

UBER pedant mode on

Except he's not that smart though, it is one of 2 London Bridges I'm aware of ...he can't say it IS London Bridge...

UBER pedant mode off

Our highlight was doing the Leicester ring in May, with its highlight being Foxton Locks, how good is that?

Forgot to tell you 2 & froms its currently 34 degrees here, expecting 38 for xmas day. Have a great festive period everyone.

Edited by harleyj

Our highlight was finding my now favorate canal from Kingswood to Stratford,now i need to do the oppisite way which got put off through lack of water.But we have had a great year that covered nearly 450 miles of canals. :D:D

UBER pedant mode on

Except he's not that smart though, it is one of 2 London Bridges I'm aware of ...he can't say it IS London Bridge...

UBER pedant mode off

Smart mode on

To which of the others are you referring? The London Bridge on the Bridgewater Canal, or the London Bridge across the Caldon Canal, or maybe the one across the Bridgewater Channel Canal in the Arizona Desert?

Smart mode off

Highlights of the year included

Dropping anchor in the backwater behind Ham Island (Thames) and having a swim on a roasting hot August day

Getting the canoe - we attempted to boat every bit of water we could see that stuck out from the Upper Thames, we did the Thame, the Evenlode but the highlight was the Thames above Inglesham, didn't make it as far as Cricklade due to fallen willows and failing light - that's a task for next year.....yes, even the dog loves the canoe :)

Beautiful light and the best weather on the September Evening - really recommend this bit of the upper Thames, so quiet - no canoe? Walk, it is gorgeous.

Really brilliant weather all the way home on the GU, highlight being visiting Whippendell woods in Watford when it was at the height of its powers.

Don't keep telling everyone about the peace and tranquility of the Thames above Oxford (all hail Osney bridge).

It's mine I tell you...... All mine

;)

Minor moments compared with some of those recounted above: boating down to Cropredy from our new moorings (well, it's only four locks away now)for the Festival and seeing the leg ends that are Status Quo on stage; and afterwards, revisiting the North Oxford and the Ashby for the first time in five years.

2010 has been a parsons egg of a year, in considering it I can not ignore miscarriages, failed IVF, major OP for Val, losing my job (although that seems to have been a blessing in disguise) and a family funeral late in the year

However, there have been tremendous highs, and even highs within highs. High number one was taking Ripple for her swansong to Droitwich, and cruising the Droitwich Barge canal. The high within the high is coming back down, alone, on Sunday afternoon, and having old men and women go all misty eyed at seeing a boat on their canal. A personal high point was Dad and I watching a local football match in Droitwich on the Saturday

High number two was the first ever Sark folk festival. We'd never been to Sark, no cars, no proper roads, but a proper festival with real music, real food and real cider (Bec De Nez, had rather too much of it)

High within a high was the natural justice of Big Sheep, the only folk band from Sark, getting to close the festival as the intended act had to get home. There wasn't a dry eye or an unstrained voice as we took the roof off the marquee for an encore of "Nothing ever happens"

High number three was taing Juno to Semington for the "weekend of a thousand pints", our first, and so far only, night away on her.

Working down the Hatton flight after the Lapworth banter in the summer - in company with 2 forum boats and several volunteers. It was chucking it down and then at the end seeing the expression on my lady Pauline's face as she stood at the front doors of Peter's boat in the dry. It was her first ever experience of locks and she absolutely loved it.

Has to be a highlight of my year too :)

The highlight of our year would have to be (finally) getting the project boat in the water...

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0148.jpg

Well, yeah, it had to be dragged back out a week later for some more welding, still isn't finished, still has some water tank issues, still needs more grease-monkey ennin hole work and has nearly broken us. But lord, that was an exciting day :D