Bow Thruster Battery

Biggles

Featured Posts

I have a Vetus 95kg bow thruster going in to my build and want to use just 1 battery.

The listed current consumption is 610a and its a 12v unit.

I have had various suggestions ranging from 1 x 110a/h leisure battery to 2 x 220a/h.

So I though I'd ask here what you think and what you are actually using.

Biggles

Edited by Biggles

I have a Vetus 95kg bow thruster going in to my build and want to use just 1 battery.

I have had various suggestions ranging from 1 x 110a/h leisure battery to 2 x 220a/h.

Biggles

The Vetus catalogue gives a min. Ah of 165 and a max of 2x143 Ah

Edited by Chris G

Only slightly :smiley_offtopic: lol

Are bow thrusters another subject that cause heated debate on here lol.

I amagine they would be after the recent debate about them in the canal boat mag

A bow thruster debate oh goody, never been on a boat with one fitted and have allways got where we are going (fairly) unscathed, i guess they may be usefull to get you out of the s@*t

A bow thruster debate oh goody, never been on a boat with one fitted and have allways got where we are going (fairly) unscathed, i guess they may be usefull to get you out of the s@*t

I have a hydraulic thruster. Only use it when reversing any distance, it makes steering easy, especially on a windy mooring.

How about a pump out bow thruster/macerator with integral deodoriser? Now that would provoke some heated debates. :lol:

The specs should say what the maximum load current is and the expected maximum run time (don't think they are continuously rated). This will give you the minimum capacity required (multiply by 2), the reamining issue then is having drawn that current, the charging time as a result.

So if it draws 610A and is not supposed to be run for more than 5 minutes it gives you (610 * 5 / 60) * 2 gives 102Ah.

Only slightly :smiley_offtopic: lol

Are bow thrusters another subject that cause heated debate on here lol.

I amagine they would be after the recent debate about them in the canal boat mag

No, we just laugh and point these days

Richard

I have a hydraulic thruster. Only use it when reversing any distance, it makes steering easy, especially on a windy mooring.

How about a pump out bow thruster/macerator with integral deodoriser? Now that would provoke some heated debates. :lol:

:lol::lol:

Biggles

:D

Christ a Bowthruster, what are you building a cross channel ferry ? Mind I suppose if you have a long narrowboat they may be of some use ? but at only 70 foot I find I certainly dont need one..............anyone out there got a 98 foot narrowboat ?...... :lol:

:D

Christ a Bowthruster, what are you building a cross channel ferry ? Mind I suppose if you have a long narrowboat they may be of some use ? but at only 70 foot I find I certainly dont need one..............anyone out there got a 98 foot narrowboat ?...... :lol:

As another 70 foot boat owner who doesn't need a bowthruster, do you think it's because of our more stable hull shape, or just our superior boat handling skills?

I take great delight in doing "difficult" manoeuvres with Tawny Owl, like when sharing locks, only using one gate, going in first and putting Tawny Owl behind the shut gate without using ropes. All good fun

Richard

As another 70 foot boat owner who doesn't need a bowthruster, do you think it's because of our more stable hull shape, or just our superior boat handling skills?

I take great delight in doing "difficult" manoeuvres with Tawny Owl, like when sharing locks, only using one gate, going in first and putting Tawny Owl behind the shut gate without using ropes. All good fun

Richard

:cheers:

Joking apart, I think its a combination of things, my boat as probably with yours is very heavy and unless blowing a gale does not blow about on the cut. Its superb swims make it a delight to drive and very precise even going backwards. Also boat handling must come in to it also and as with all things the bowthruster in time takes the skill away from the steerer who then becomes worse. ( As with parking sensors on cars another totaly useless piece of kit to a competent driver ) I too love doing one gate without touching then put the nose gently at the top and just ease over behind the gate for next boat to slide nicely in alongside me ( err Usualy !! )

But let em have their bowthrusters if they need em, besides they dont half keep the battery manufacturers in work !!! :)

Richard

As the owner of 25ft boat with no girly thruster, i can assure you it isnt your hull shape doing the work, it must be the superior boat handling skills :D

:cheers:

Joking apart, I think its a combination of things, my boat as probably with yours is very heavy and unless blowing a gale does not blow about on the cut. Its superb swims make it a delight to drive and very precise even going backwards. Also boat handling must come in to it also and as with all things the bowthruster in time takes the skill away from the steerer who then becomes worse. ( As with parking sensors on cars another totaly useless piece of kit to a competent driver ) I too love doing one gate without touching then put the nose gently at the top and just ease over behind the gate for next boat to slide nicely in alongside me ( err Usualy !! )

But let em have their bowthrusters if they need em, besides they dont half keep the battery manufacturers in work !!! :)

Tawny Owl is pretty uncooperative going backwards, but otherwise she's fairly docile. I wonder if the general good behaviour encourages me to be more confident and adventurous in manoeuvring.

Richard

Tawny Owl is pretty uncooperative going backwards, but otherwise she's fairly docile. I wonder if the general good behaviour encourages me to be more confident and adventurous in manoeuvring.

Richard

It's that power house under your feet that makes it so easy ;)

Richard

How is this done please?

How is this done please?

I do it by carefully nudging the bow into the gate or cill in front, then holding the tiller over on forward tick-over, towards where you want the stern to go behind the closed gate. The second boat's bow-wash will tend to push over your bow if necessary if you come out of gear as the other boat enters. Good bow fenders required (mine's a 4x4 tyre).

PS Never use ropes in locks, unless a keeper insists, such as on the Thames.

Tone

• Greenie 1

Like Richard I particularly enjoy completing a hard bit of boating. Having also juggled boats around the finger moorings ay heyford, I can honestly say that having a bow thrust makes all the difference when you're in a tight spot against the wind.

Would I have one on my boat? Not by choice, I can't see that the pros outweigh the cons, but I certainly wouldn't grudge anyone for having one.

What I do hate, however, is thrusters fitted to hire boats, and the hirers after poor instruction use them for steering down the cut.. neeeeerrrrrrrr... nneeeeeerrrrr...

Ex hire fleet staff, very much FOR hire boating.

Like Richard I particularly enjoy completing a hard bit of boating. Having also juggled boats around the finger moorings ay heyford, I can honestly say that having a bow thrust makes all the difference when you're in a tight spot against the wind.

Would I have one on my boat? Not by choice, I can't see that the pros outweigh the cons, but I certainly wouldn't grudge anyone for having one.

What I do hate, however, is thrusters fitted to hire boats, and the hirers after poor instruction use them for steering down the cut.. neeeeerrrrrrrr... nneeeeeerrrrr...

Ex hire fleet staff, very much FOR hire boating.

More likely to be a private owner