Fish, lots of em

floatingphil

Featured Posts

Visited the well frozen vessel last week to check thing was ok. Fancied a mug of soup so trundled down to the bow, lifted the gas locker to switch it on and to my amazement its full of fish!!. 20 or so of various sizes on the ledge above the level of the bottles. Stood scrathing mi bonnet for a while and noticed the big one still moving. Chucked it back in, slid across the ice ( must have been a Skate!)and off it swam!! Then I opened the cratch and there some in there to. How can this be? They could have jumped in through the drainage holes I guess looking for warmer climates but all seems very clever and the 2 large ones would have struggled

Has anyone else had this happen.

Puzzled

Phil

Sorry but you sound a little koi to me :rolleyes:

edited to add: see VP Snow item - its beciase someone has been pouring Asda Smart Price Lager in the cut - they've all jumped out and tried to take refuge on your boat.

Edited by tillergirl

Visited the well frozen vessel last week to check thing was ok. Fancied a mug of soup so trundled down to the bow, lifted the gas locker to switch it on and to my amazement its full of fish!!. 20 or so of various sizes on the ledge above the level of the bottles. Stood scrathing mi bonnet for a while and noticed the big one still moving. Chucked it back in, slid across the ice ( must have been a Skate!)and off it swam!! Then I opened the cratch and there some in there to. How can this be? They could have jumped in through the drainage holes I guess looking for warmer climates but all seems very clever and the 2 large ones would have struggled

Puzzled

Phil

No disrespect Phil, but were you out on the ale last night? Or, were you the skipper on a trawler in a previous life :P

Edited by Doorman

Wot a load of Cods-wallop

Just thought I would let you know of a fishing technique we had as kids on the Durham coastline.

Tackle; 10 plastic buckets, 20 house bricks, 50 fresh lugworms, 1 full pepper pot.

Go down the beach at low water with your tackle, put your buckets down and in this order put in each bucket, 2 bricks, 5 lugworm, and a large sprinkling of pepper. Leave the buckets and let the high tide flow over them. As a shoal of cod comes near, they are immediately attracted to the lugworm and approach the baited buckets. They dip their heads in and as they do so, the pepper irritates them so much they sneeze, bang their heads on the bricks and are killed instantly.

All you have to do is go down on the next low tide and pick up your full buckets of fish. Simple.

I may have made all that up. Anyway, I,m hacked off posting about my blocked water pipe.

Paul.

Reminds me of the alternative mousetrap:

The bait is set by putting a piece of cheese where the mouse has to look over a razor blade to see it.

One day, the cheese is removed: the mouse looks over, says 'Where's the bloody cheese today' whilst looking from side to side, and cuts it's own throat.

Mike Harding circa 1972 I think.

<snip>

I may have made all that up. Anyway, I,m hacked off posting about my blocked water pipe.

Paul.

I see you are finding out that the forum has many purposes, advice being only a small one :P

Richard

the big un must have been an ice skate ?.:rolleyes:

Puzzled

Phil

Well ive started something now! The whole thing is giving me a haddock!. Still cant make 'head' or 'tail' of it. Seriously though im still puzzled

Phil

This reminds me of what happened to me a few years ago. The weather was appalling – wind, rain and v.cold. OH heard a splash and a thud and there, in the engine room, was a large fish floundering around on the floor. It clearly had jumped out of the water and landed in the boat as we were going along. No idea why.