Is it possible to have a water bed on a boat?

Newold

Featured Posts

May seem like a strange question but its another one thats popped up planning our move to a liveaboard.

Any opinions thoughts ect are most welcome.

thanks.

I do not see why not. However, I believe that most water beds have a heating system so that the bed is not bleedin cold when you get in on a winters night (or day even)

The power required for this heater may be excessive for a non land line boat.

Thanks yes that is certainly something to consider and IM not sure how much that power is at present.

One thing that worries me is the movement of the water in the bed when the boat jolts or comes to a stop.

Will the water keep on moving forward creating a weakness I wonder?

Anything is possible but why on earth would you want to do it?

Have you ever slept on a waterbed?

Or suffered from a bad back?

Thats why.

Thanks yes that is certainly something to consider and IM not sure how much that power is at present.

One thing that worries me is the movement of the water in the bed when the boat jolts or comes to a stop.

Thats why.

Inevitably but surely the same sort of water movement occurs during...activity?

Memory Foam?

Thats why.

Have you considered a medical air bed?

Yes its possible. Had one on my last boat.

As has been mentioned it needs to be kept warm 24/7 via a thermostatic heat mat.

These draw about 500w max and are 240 volt.

Water does not slosh around due to internal baffles.

You will need to account for the extra weight. Any thing between 1/2 to 3/4 ton depending on size.

And it needs a good solid base.

Edited by JGMarine

As has been mentioned it needs to be kept warm 24/7 via a thermostatic heat mat.

You will need to account for the extra weight. Any thing between 1/2 to 3/4 tone depending on size.

So, we all need light partners!

and big battery banks should ever we intend to move it from it's umbilical.

I knew a water bed once; it was rated at 1k but never turned up all the way. It was left on 24/7 to save needing to heat it up which took AGES!

I'd hate to power it these days, never mind try to do so from batteries... 500w is 41 amps per hour at 12v; that's near enough all the useful charge in a 110Ahr battery; per hour.

You will need to account for the extra weight. Any thing between 1/2 to 3/4 ton depending on size.

And what about the trimming of the boat? 1/2 to 3/4 of a ton will need alot of counter ballast.

We have one. It is fed directly from the waterway. The pressure is dictated by the displacement of the boat as the feed is from below the waterline. Any other system would involve a pump and this is a green issue. There is of course a stopcock, fitted to the bed rather than the incumbent, installed in case of both failure of mattress integrity and/or over excitement on behalf of the water bed product user.

We have one. It is fed directly from the waterway. The pressure is dictated by the displacement of the boat as the feed is from below the waterline. Any other system would involve a pump and this is a green issue. There is of course a stopcock, fitted to the bed rather than the incumbent, installed in case of both failure of mattress integrity and/or over excitement on behalf of the water bed product user.

Visions of Reg and Maureen of Coronation street and there waterbed spring to mind :lol: