Mastervolt System

Mrhigherbeing

Featured Posts

Hi gurus,

I want to connect my Mastervolt system together, to make what is almost my dream set up.

I bought Borah a 2001 Dutch Barge and she already had a Mastervolt (MV) Whispergen 3500 and a MV 60amp battery charger, but no inverter strangely. I have just purchased a MV Mass Inverter 2000 (I would have liked to replace charger with a combi unit but a good deal came along on inverter so...)

Firstly can I connect them all together, if so what benefits do I get and secondly how the hell do I do that and thridly what would I need to get to do that. I would also like to add a battery display monitor, I do have a Adverc DCM III unit form my old boat I never fitted and have the shunts and bits for that (though no wiring diagram). Would prefer a Mastervolt monitor to keep the system all MV. Does anyone have any suggestions on a unit suitable?

Other details - 330amp/h domestics, 110amp/h engine start - I will not be running anything massive off the inverter, its just everyday items such as TV, power tools, stereo, iMac etc etc

Any help or advice as ever gurus would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Edited by Mrhigherbeing
  • Greenie 1

Okay, here goes my tuppence...

... a Mastervolt (MV) Whispergen 3500 and a MV 60amp battery charger, but no inverter strangely. I have just purchased a MV Mass Inverter 2000 (I would have liked to replace charger with a combi unit but a good deal came along on inverter so...)

Firstly can I connect them all together...

Yes, but you need some kind of intelligent auto-switching. For instance, you don't want the inverter feeding the battery charger, nor would you want the inverter and the generator feeding each other's outputs.

See here for some guidance on the above.

... if so what benefits do I get...

I'm not sure I understand the question.

... how the hell do I do that...

I suggest that when you've read through the above link you come back and ask specific questions about any parts you're unclear about.

... what would I need to get to do that...

A manual or automatic changeover switch.

I would also like to add a battery display monitor, <snip> Does anyone have any suggestions on a unit suitable?

A Smart Gauge will tell you your true SOC as a percentage of the battery's capacity, a shunt-based AH counting device will tell you the instantaneous discharge/charge in the system. What exactly do you want to monitor?

... 330amp/h domestics, 110amp/h engine start - I will not be running anything massive off the inverter, its just everyday items such as TV, power tools, stereo, iMac etc etc...

330Ah sounds a little on the small size for a 2kVA inverter.

Tony

Edited by WotEver

What is a Mastervolt Whispergen?

It is a stirling engine generator that puts out a piddly amount of amps and lots of heat for the hotwater. Designed to run continuously, but then only has a life of 20k hours = 2.5 years!! Basically a small micro power station. I've heard mixed reviews, and is expensive to fix.

Colin Stone

It is a stirling engine generator that puts out a piddly amount of amps and lots of heat for the hotwater. Designed to run continuously, but then only has a life of 20k hours = 2.5 years!! Basically a small micro power station. I've heard mixed reviews, and is expensive to fix.

I know what a Whispergen is. I'm trying to find out what a Mastervolt Whispergen is.

I suspect it's something completely different, or perhaps the wrong name has been used.

My googling suggested that it's a now-obsolete 3.5kVA generator.

Tony

ETA I didn't know either, which is why I tried a bit of Googling prior to answering. I may have got it wrong because nowhere could I actually find any specs, only references to people owning one.

Edited by WotEver

My googling suggested that it's a now-obsolete 3.5kVA generator.

Tony

ETA I didn't know either, which is why I tried a bit of Googling prior to answering. I may have got it wrong because nowhere could I actually find any specs, only references to people owning one.

I really don't think there is such a thing.

I really don't think there is such a thing.

Well, they used to sell a Whisper 3.5, but looks to be be the 110v 60hz version mentioned on the website now...

http://www.mastervolt.com/marine/products/3000-3600-rpm-wet-exhaust/whisper-35-32-kw-120v-60hz-3600-rpm-wet-exhaust/

Google has a cached page for the 50hz version I think.

Could it be this?

PC

Edit, I'm useless.

50hz version:

http://www.mastervolt.com/marine/products/3000-3600-rpm-wet-exhaust/whisper-35m-3-kw-230v-50hz-3000-rpm-wet-exhaust/

6112_whisper3.5m3kw230v50hz3000rpmwetexhaust.jpg

Edited by paulcatchpole

Thanks for pointers. It is a mastervolt whisper 3500, the precursor to the 3.5 and that image looks correct apart it's a 3.5.

Few points - I have a manual switch over for land/gen/inverter. I plan on increasing the amp/h, but also I don't plan on using major appliances so fine for now.

Will review link cheers guys and sorry for debate but suspect you kind of enjoyed it! :-)

Oh one more thing, the unit is 10 years old. I have changed Over heat switch and control unit plus it has had an exhaust manifold replacement due to design fault. It's the first unit of it's type but got to say it runs really well after ten years!

Could be.

I'm trying to find out whether he means a Mastervolt Whisper, or whether he means a Whispergen.

They are, of course, two completely different animals.

I have often heard people refer to a low noise generator as a whispergen, I used to do the same until I slapped myself across the face one day. 'Whispergen' I suppose is a trademark? catchy name shame they are such a pain in the arse.

Mastervolt supplies a comprehensive range of award-winning alternating current (AC) diesel generators which are exceptionally quiet, compact, easy to install, use and maintain and, above all, extremely reliable. All on board amenities such as washer/dryers, airconditioning systems and other AC appliances are now available to you at a push of a button. At the same time your batteries are being charged quickly, allowing you to switch back to silent inverter power for the remainder of the day. It gives you the power to be independent!

Copied off above link :)

• Greenie 1

Hi

I have a MASS 12/80 240v charger, which I think is similar to your charger. I also have a MASS Sine 12/2000 230v inverter. I have a Travelpower which is a 230v alternator/silver box of magic as a genny

To switch between the load there are automatic crossover switches. I think that the ones I have have been superceeded by a new MV model that I cannot identify. Basically what it does is a boolean test in this order;

if shoreline is available use that

else if generator power is available use that

else if inverter is available use that

It is very nice becuase it is automatic, however a manual switch would do the job just as well. Sterling sell both products http://www.sterling-power.com/products-230vcs.htm You really dont want the genny, shorepower and inverter all trying to provide at the same time. I think they this would make something very bad like a black hole or teleporter.

Regards the control panel, MV sell the Masterlink MICC which requires a shunt. This will cost you a massive £550. I have one on my boat and it is quite good. You can see the voltage, and charge discharge current, and turn on and off the inverter and charger. On Jack Frost it is mounted midships in the galley.

Other products are available, smartguage being the most talked about. I think that it costs half the Masterlink, you would have to compare them to know what the benifits are.

Hi gurus,

I want to connect my Mastervolt system together, to make what is almost my dream set up.

I bought Borah a 2001 Dutch Barge and she already had a Mastervolt (MV) Whispergen 3500 and a MV 60amp battery charger, but no inverter strangely. I have just purchased a MV Mass Inverter 2000 (I would have liked to replace charger with a combi unit but a good deal came along on inverter so...)

Firstly can I connect them all together, if so what benefits do I get and secondly how the hell do I do that and thridly what would I need to get to do that. I would also like to add a battery display monitor, I do have a Adverc DCM III unit form my old boat I never fitted and have the shunts and bits for that (though no wiring diagram). Would prefer a Mastervolt monitor to keep the system all MV. Does anyone have any suggestions on a unit suitable?

Other details - 330amp/h domestics, 110amp/h engine start - I will not be running anything massive off the inverter, its just everyday items such as TV, power tools, stereo, iMac etc etc

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

I sent you a PM which I hope that will help

keith

Hi all,

I am kind of happy with the manual switch to be honest, I don't see much benefit from the auto one and that's more likely to die than the one I have. Having said that though, I am sure that connecting my system together would probably need an automated one to get any benefits. I still do not actually know what benefits I would get if the system was connected together via a BUS cable. At a guess, and I am sure this will cause a tut-tut, but I think the connected system would help each other out a bit, so the inverter is struggling and so the genny kicks in, or the genny is struggling and the inverter kicks in some battery power to help out, or the charger stop them arguing between the two.

Stop bashing the Whisper 3500, I love it and while it is a stretch to say it whispers, I am saving a lot of hours and diesel on my main engine.

Keith, no PM mate?

Hasta

ian

Hi gurus,

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian

Would one of these be helpfull? mastervolt auto transfer switch.

You would still need a manual change over to select between generator and mains going into input one.

The main benefit is that the outputs can be arranged so that you don't overload the inverter with high current loads; and as Gibbo says, don't end up running your charger from the inverter :banghead:

Steve

I really dont think that you want 2 power sources contending with each other. My automatic cross over switches are not that fast, fine if you are using a laptop, but the delay between power sources would make a TV or PC turn off. When the automatic switches break I will replace them with a manual one. The cost of the auto ones seems very high for the effort to walk to a manual switch.

If you contact MV they are very helpful, there is also a supplier at Reading Marina who is very helpful. If I remember correctly if MV cannot fix a product not under waranty when it breaks they offer 20% off a replacememt.

Tim

• 5 months later...

Hi Ian

Would one of these be helpfull? mastervolt auto transfer switch.

You would still need a manual change over to select between generator and mains going into input one.

The main benefit is that the outputs can be arranged so that you don't overload the inverter with high current loads; and as Gibbo says, don't end up running your charger from the inverter :banghead:

Steve

I have something that looks like this sitting between my input and output changeover switches. How do you know if the fuses have gone? Does it simply switch off?

I think this is an old thread but my answer to the issue was as per diagram.

ACwiring.jpg

The four pole three way break before make switch was custom made for me by UK Solenoid, the importer at the time of Kraus & Naimer switches. I think they have their own UK distributorship now though.

This setup served me well for several years on my previous sailboat. Note that outlets available are limited when on inverter.

Edited by richardhula

It seems that the business has been taken over by Whisper Power. They still make something that looks very much like the whispergen, but their glossy brochure shows an amazing thing called a Genverter

It seems to be a 5kva genny with battery charger and inverter all in a box smaller than a Whispergen. It apparently runs your 240v supply from the inverter while monitering demand and battery condition. If demand is greater than the inverter can cope with or the batterys are low then the genny starts up automatically to meet demand or charge the batterys! All completly without vibration and at a noise level of less than 58dba. Amazing!!!

The downside?..........£7500+VAT