No more Folly!

Athy

Featured Posts

I was shocked to hear that the Folly by Napton bottom lock, formerly the Folly Pie Pub, closed its doors a few weeks ago. I'm even more surprised that as far as I'm aware this has not been mentioned on the various canal fora.

New people took it over a little while ago (2009?), replacing the landlord who had reopened it and had run it for a number of years. It staged a well-supported Folk, Beer and Boats weekend in August and shut shortly thereafter. Perhaps the new people were not quite right for the pub.

So if, like us, you plan to visit it in the course of a cruise, think again. I am uncertain if the Folly Shop has closed too. I do hope that new blood can be found to revitalise it.

I was shocked to hear that the Folly by Napton bottom lock, formerly the Folly Pie Pub, closed its doors a few weeks ago. I'm even more surprised that as far as I'm aware this has not been mentioned on the various canal fora.

New people took it over a little while ago (2009?), replacing the landlord who had reopened it and had run it for a number of years. It staged a well-supported Folk, Beer and Boats weekend in August and shut shortly thereafter. Perhaps the new people were not quite right for the pub.

So if, like us, you plan to visit it in the course of a cruise, think again. I am uncertain if the Folly Shop has closed too. I do hope that new blood can be found to revitalise it.

:(

Yes and this will continue it is now too late for the good old british pub, that particular pub is well used on sunny sundays in august but today it is hissing down and people today do not support their locals as they once used to. There are many things now to do with leisure time so the pub suffers. At this tiny village where I moor I go to the pub very nearly everyday as do some other boaters but we NEVER see anyone from the houses right next to the pub ( except one couple ) so this will continue I am afraid........

I go to the pub very nearly everyday as do some other boaters but we NEVER see anyone from the houses right next to the pub ( except one couple ) so this will continue I am afraid........

But, if they don't want to go to the pub, should they be forced to?

I very rarely visit a pub and I think it a great shame that the Folly has closed (though I suspect it will be taken on by a Pubco, who will dash a succession of enthusiastic couples' dreams of a canalside hostelry) but I feel no obligation to "support my local".

If people don't want to go to pubs then they will go bust, such is the way with businesses.

But, if they don't want to go to the pub, should they be forced to?

I very rarely visit a pub and I think it a great shame that the Folly has closed (though I suspect it will be taken on by a Pubco, who will dash a succession of enthusiastic couples' dreams of a canalside hostelry) but I feel no obligation to "support my local".

If people don't want to go to pubs then they will go bust, such is the way with businesses.

:D

Hi Carl

Why do you think its a great shame the pub is closed ? As a none pub goer which is of course your right I am suprised you are bothered.

I never ever ever visit the gym and wouldnt give two hoots if the one up the road closed, that as you say is the way of business. I think though its the thin end of the ever widening wedge where all things of the past will eventualy go down the pan and eventualy for instance everyone will say get a bowthruster fitted and therefore everyone will be an incompetent boater, everyone gets reversing beepy things and hey a bad driver becomes a realy bad driver etc etc.......yes its all such a shame.

:D

Hi Carl

Why do you think its a great shame the pub is closed ?

I think it's a shame that any small business goes bust.

My Sister and her husband run a canal side pub so it is an ominous sign for my family, too.

I rarely go to pubs, btw, not "never" and, if the Folly was the pub I knew, in the 80s, I would still visit it...occasionally but, unfortunately, it has been going progressively downhill for years.

I visited the Folly on my trip in august. Of the three real ales on, two were badly kept, or perhaps just old. The third was drinkable, but ran out after the first couple of pints were pulled. Us apart, there were 4 people in on a pleasant sunday evening in peak season. The visitors moorings were full and we had to tie up well before the winding hole.

I think The Folly is a good name for the place..... :rolleyes:

I think one has to be realistic that with many pubs charging in excess of £3 for a pint, (often well in excess), many main courses not available at much under a tenner, and even no more than a thimble-full of orange juice costing a mint, much though many of us enjoy a pub, we simply can no longer afford it on a regular basis.

These days if I am going to dip my hand in my pocket to that degree, the offering needs to be quite good, but the reality is often the opposite, (see also "Duke of Wellington, Pitstone" thread).

In some cases I do think it's sad that the small business pubs go under, but frankly some deserve to.

Instead of chastising us for not going there enough, should one not be having a go at the owners of many tenanted pubs, who as soon as a good tenant starts to make a go of it then expect to start squuezing them much more firmly ?

People might not like "pubco" type pubs, but if I go to a Weatherspoons (or similar), I can typically go there twice for the same cost as once to a "small business" pub, drink beer that is often better kept, and be fairly confident that whilst the food is not haute cuisine, it will not be at all bad either. Plus my non alcohol drinking son can usually have a full pint of orange-juice for less than the thimble full would have cost us elsewhere, (and he drinks a LOT of orange juice....)

Hi alan

I was at Napton at begining of September and the Folly Shop is definitely open and a great asset to boaters. The gentleman who runs the shop told me that the previous landlord of the Folly Inn just upt and left the week before, the Open sign was still on the canal bank. The owners were already interviewing prospective new landlords and expected it to re-open shortly.

The reason why so many small retail businesses are struggling is down to a number of factors but I suspect the main one is the poor earnings potential - in recent years much publicity has been given to a minimum wage (now well in excess of £5 an hour) and a range of benefits payments available to those who are unable to find employment.

Retail net profit margins are now extremely small - especially in small businesses. The costs of goods for resale have been rising steadily but areas such as transport, energy and premises costs have risen out of all proportion - as a result the proprietors rarely manage to earn anything like half the national minimum wage and often find that they are having to work very long hours, seven days a week, because they just can't afford to pay staff.

In a few years time, most village pubs, shops and post offices will be no more than nostalgic memories . . .

Hi alan

I was at Napton at begining of September and the Folly Shop is definitely open and a great asset to boaters. The gentleman who runs the shop told me that the previous landlord of the Folly Inn just upt and left the week before, the Open sign was still on the canal bank. The owners were already interviewing prospective new landlords and expected it to re-open shortly.

I hope they find someone who is willing to make the necessary commitment . . .

Edited by NB Alnwick

I think one has to be realistic that with many pubs charging in excess of £3 for a pint, (often well in excess), many main courses not available at much under a tenner, and even no more than a thimble-full of orange juice costing a mint, much though many of us enjoy a pub, we simply can no longer afford it on a regular basis.

These days if I am going to dip my hand in my pocket to that degree, the offering needs to be quite good, but the reality is often the opposite, (see also "Duke of Wellington, Pitstone" thread).

In some cases I do think it's sad that the small business pubs go under, but frankly some deserve to.

Instead of chastising us for not going there enough, should one not be having a go at the owners of many tenanted pubs, who as soon as a good tenant starts to make a go of it then expect to start squuezing them much more firmly ?

People might not like "pubco" type pubs, but if I go to a Weatherspoons (or similar), I can typically go there twice for the same cost as once to a "small business" pub, drink beer that is often better kept, and be fairly confident that whilst the food is not haute cuisine, it will not be at all bad either. Plus my non alcohol drinking son can usually have a full pint of orange-juice for less than the thimble full would have cost us elsewhere, (and he drinks a LOT of orange juice....)

I am afraid that I blame the 'Campaign for Real Ale' - particularly the political lobbying that was carried out in the 1980s. The result was Lord Young's 'Supply of Beer Orders' which forced the big British brewers out of the pub business and subsequently out of the brewing business. Hitherto, the brewers, as property owners, had been largely self regulating and although some might point to the disgusting but highly profitable concoctions that were marketed to the masses in the previous decade (Red Barrel and Whitbread Tankard for example), those brewers invested in their pub premises and supported their managers and tenants with training schemes, interest free loans, and other incentives to stay. The decline of the big companies opened the door to all sorts of unscrupulous property gamblers that are almost entirely unregulated.

I cruised up to Aynho Wharfe a couple of years ago , arriving at 10pm ,rushed down to the “pub” by the bridge (it was a Sunday) only to find it closed. Obviously the diners had finished their meals and left.

The sad story is there are few pubs left, only eateries (soon to be called `Diners`?)

On the return trip I talked to the owner of the Folly who was a local farmer (supplying meat to the kitchen) and he was considering closing the pub for the winter months (reclaiming business rates and cutting overheads). He explained that most of his winter business used to be drinking locals but since the smoking ban they had decided not to frequent the pub.

An old chestnut,I know but pubs that wish to be `smoking ` should have that right.

Back to the Folly. I have to say that considering it is `privately `owned the prices for locally brewed ales were far too high. The food ,too, was too expensive.

Enough buildings at the rear for it`s own micro brewery.

We had a "banter" there a couple of years ago and I rented one of the cottages behind the pub. The food wasn't great to be honest.

In the late 80's I went there on a boat trip when it was doing excellent pies, it was a Sunday evening and was absolutely packed.

A shame although I'm not surprised. I hope it does reopen but it needs a good sort out.

As far as I know the intention is to open the PUB again. The owner of the building is looking for a new tenant. The previous seems to have suddenly disappeared.

The shop is a separate concern and is still open.

I am not that surprised that the Folly has closed. We went there in August, it was a warm Sunday evening there were three people in there, including the Barman, There were four of us, all hoping to order a meal and take on a few drinks, but they could not be bothered to do any food, so we went elsewhere.

I really have no sympathy with people who run what is essentially a tourist based business when they cannot put the effort in. Perhaps someone who understands that running your own business demands a high level of commitment will take it over.

Hello, lurker newbie here,

I must say that I really dislike the "big room" chain pubs such as W'spoons. The beer may be cheap but to me going to the pub is more that just having a drink - I look forward, sometimes with trepidation, to some sort of social interaction. Small room establishments are so much more satisfying as an experience. Even if they are empty, you can always chat with the landlord (as opposed to "manager") about how rubbish big room pubs are! :cheers:

The smoking ban is another bugbear! British politicians go on about the "market". If the "market" had wanted non-smoking pubs, there would have been non smoking pubs! A pub should be a place where one can unwind and let one's hair down...not be victim to the nannying of professional politicians.(/rant)

An interesting article here:

Decline and fall of the British Boozer

(other opinions are available)

To me one of the highlights of cruising the canals is the ability to visit proper pubs here there and everywhere - some real gems are to be had within a short stagger walk of the cut! Finding them is just something else which adds to the joy of moving very slowly!

Ian (currently a land lubber but hoping to be permanently afloat by summer)

:(

At this tiny village where I moor I go to the pub very nearly everyday as do some other boaters but we NEVER see anyone from the houses right next to the pub ( except one couple ) so this will continue I am afraid........

Hi

They are probably paying a huge mortgage and can't afford to visit the pub.

The death of the English pub started years ago, economic and social changes have just increased the 'mortality' rate.

I rarely visit pubs now, they were spoilt when children were allowed in - with parents who expected other customers to be unpaid baby sitters. A shame as pubs used to be a great places with Public and Saloon bars, tap rooms, smoke rooms, a pork pie was considered 'haute cusine' and Guinness was served in the bottle, a really fine drink if matured for a few weeks.

Leo.

The Steamboat Inn at Trent Lock has now also closed. Apparently due to losing £15000 in August compared to last year due to the weather. Good news for the Trent Navigation then.

The Steamboat is also strapped by a BW ransom strip. The only way in for the supplies is over their land, for which they demand a kings ransom....

In the mid 1970s when I started visiting pubs I was paying around 30p a pint. I was taking home £15/week at the time. Since then, beer prices have increased tenfold, but wages.....

I have not been to The Folly for 2 years but when I was last there it sold over priced pies and the beer was very hit and miss. It does rely on the canal as it is quite a distance from Napton. Napton has some very good pubs where the locals go and a club. The farmer who owns the Folly did himself no favours localy when he did everything in his power to stop the people who bought the Lock Keepers Cottage from carrying out the renovation work.

In my experience the pubs that seem to do best are the ones that sell decent food at a decent price, I am not talking cordon blue food just simple but good food like bangers and mash. gammon steak or stuff like that for under £10.

I heard about that lock cottage story. Apparently they had to put planks across the lock to get contractors' vehhicles and plant to the site.

I wonder what his motives could have been? It would surely have made sense to get his new neighbours into his pub as regular customers, and that does seem to be an unusual way of going about it.

I heard about that lock cottage story. Apparently they had to put planks across the lock to get contractors' vehhicles and plant to the site.

I wonder what his motives could have been? It would surely have made sense to get his new neighbours into his pub as regular customers, and that does seem to be an unusual way of going about it.

As I understand the situation the owner of the Folly (who already owns a lot of property in the area) hoped to get the cottage at a knock down price on account of the fact that its only access was over his land. In the event he was outbid at the auction and was very bitter about it. The couple who bought the cottage have done a superb job and seem to have had a lot of support from BW - in my view, Good Luck to them!

As I understand the situation the owner of the Folly (who already owns a lot of property in the area) hoped to get the cottage at a knock down price on account of the fact that its only access was over his land. In the event he was outbid at the auction and was very bitter about it. The couple who bought the cottage have done a superb job and seem to have had a lot of support from BW - in my view, Good Luck to them!

That is how I understood the story. Last time I saw the cottage it was looking very nice.

I had exactly the same problem with a cottage I bought, set back from the road, in the pub car park (formerly the village green). The landlord wanted to live there so that he could B&B the pub's accommodation.

I proved acquired right of access and, whilst researching for the fight, discovered that I had retained the right to graze my livestock, on the car park.

The brewery quickly backed down but the Landlord remained hostile and I was barred from the pub, next door, until he went bust.