Dogs and Old Men!

Chagall

Featured Posts

Walking the towpath with my whippet is usually pleasant, until old men and aggressive terriers appear... today said loose aggressive terrier dashed up to my dog who is on his lead...my dog is frightened of such dogs having been mauled to within an inch of losing his life when he was a puppy ......so I always put him on the lead because when a loose dog dashes up to him he barks out of fear, old man laughs and allows his terrier to keep snipping at Jack who by now is having to be throttled by me to stop him lunging and barking ferociously at nasty little dog, I asked old man, albeit in a testy fashion, to tether his dog, why should I have to choke my dog! Old man erupts in abusive language and shouting that my dog is dangerous and hasn't been brought up correctly! and other thoroughly unpleasant statements.

Grr...stupid, stupid old man! I really hope he is a boater and a member of this forum because if he is and reading this then Be Warned you stupid man! if it keeps happening I will be carrying a very big stick and I will not hesitate to thwack your dog into the canal!

So There! :angry:

(Thank you, the thrumming in my ears has settled, blood pressure dropped, all is calm once more :blush:)

Seems like a fair one

The older I get the more convinced I become that the world is full of twats

He seems to prove it

Glad you're feeling better

Thank you, that is one of the only disadvantages of living alone, nobody to hear say "What a twat" so Im very grateful to see it in print at least. He was indeed a Twat!

Thank you, that is one of the only disadvantages of living alone, nobody to hear say "What a twat" so Im very grateful to see it in print at least. He was indeed a Twat!

Well, were all here when you want a good rant. It's very therapeutic I find

Richard

Well, were all here when you want a good rant. It's very therapeutic I find

Richard

It really is, anger gets trapped in a persons mind and like thunder it rolls around, gets louder and fades away only to roll back again. A good shout, verbally or literary, is like the lightning bolts, clears it all away.

if it keeps happening I will be carrying a very big stick and I will not hesitate to thwack your dog into the canal!

It's not the dog that you should be thwacking into the canal, Cha. A dog behaves as it's brought up and trained to behave, can't blame the poor canine, but the old geezer might benefit from an unexpected bath.

It's not the dog that you should be thwacking into the canal, Cha. A dog behaves as it's brought up and trained to behave, can't blame the poor canine, but the old geezer might benefit from an unexpected bath.

I have said, and been criticised for saying, that I would react the same, if my dog (always on a lead, on the tow path) is threatened by a dog that is not under control.

It would not be out of anger, that I would do it, but to protect my dog.

Regardless of the stupidity of the owner, I would not resort to violence, just as punishment, and would derive no pleasure out of hoofing the uncontrolled hound out of harm's way.

• Greenie 1

It really is, anger gets trapped in a persons mind and like thunder it rolls around, gets louder and fades away only to roll back again. A good shout, verbally or literary, is like the lightning bolts, clears it all away.

So wonderfully put... I've just made that my status on facebook lol! xx

Hope you and Jack are feeling better now xx

So wonderfully put... I've just made that my status on facebook lol! xx

Hope you and Jack are feeling better now xx

Much better thank you Kate, although Jack is chewing his nails..... a large G&T saves my digit extremities!

It is quite amazing the strength of frustration about such a trivial occurrence, and I did enjoy imagining shoving him in! (but just in case he trips over his dog tomorrow I hereby declare in advance, it wasn't me!)

Moored on the C&H, Dora dog lying peacefully enjoying the sunshine, along comes a (young) woman and her (male) dog. Dora will totally ignore any dog passing, unless they get pushy. This was pushy. I could see it coming - a bit restless, a bit of hackle up, but he didn't take the hint, like a lot of males, I guess. Finally snapped - not seriously, just a mild handbagging. But then the fun started - I have never been been so continuously and earsplittingly abused by a woman (or anyone). I had a savage, dangerous dog (who was at that moment lying on her back, tail waving, waiting to be tickled by this new person - I pointed this out, be she wasn't to be stopped). Who came out of this best? Her dog, I think, for having been given a mild lesson. Who came out worst? It must have been me, because I finally had to retreat into the boat under the onslaught, and since this happened six months ago, it obviously made an impression!

Mac

Sometimes a simple STFU delivered quietly but forcefully and followed by turning away in disgust is the best response

I agree with Meg Man, the sort of person who issues this sort of verbal assault generally need to be told in no uncertain terms that they are out of order.

Phil

Recent research carried out by by Guide Dogs (GDBA) has revealed that on average three guide dogs are attacked by other dogs each month. Obviously the effect on the dog from the physical injury and the psychological impact can be very serious. In extreme cases the guide dog has to be retired early.

Dog owners should not let a dog approach another dog that is on a lead without permission of the owner. It is on a lead for a reason!

On, perhaps, a lighter note, a good few years ago I was out dog walking on the GU with a friend. I had my retired (well sacked actually) guide dog, Pedro off the lead and my friend had his ancient but rather aggressive West Highland White on the lead. Another Westie ran up and gripped my friends dog on the side of the neck. My friend kicked it and it did a rather neat back flip into the canal. After we had retrieved the rather bedraggled dog the owner said "How dare you kick my dog in the head". I told her that my friend had kicked the dog in the chest and I would be willing to swear in court that this was the case. She said that she was willing to swear in court that the dog had been kicked in the head. After a rather heated exchange as to where the blow had actually landed it was decided that we should accept the woman's version of events and I made great play of giving my friend a fiver.

One dog owner was left completely mystified, and two over the hill Tae Kwon Do black belts had settled a bet regarding the first one to manage a kick to the head.

Regards

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

I have to say I am no lover of dogs, but respect peoples right to own one, I was bought up with dogs. Last year on the Leeds and Liverpool on a very muddy day I was off to Manchester by train I was going to a show at The Lowry so for me I was in my best Togs. Man was walking down the towpath with dog off lead as always seems to happen dog thinks I am a dog lover and starts to leap up at me in friendly way, nice clean Togs covered in mud!! I did have a bit of a go at dog owner who could see nothing wrong and almost implied if I did not like dogs jumping up on me I should not walk down the towpath!!!

Speaking as a twat (but not that one) my bitch, (tiz the only word for her), is rarely on a lead on the towpath. She will woof at other dogs, but never bites. That's why I don't bother putting her on a lead unless we are near a road, open garden, cat, BBQ or cow shit. (She loves to roll in cow shit).

If someone else puts their dog on a lead on approach, I assume that they have the ferocious werewolf. My bitch will only sniff its bum anyway.

What I don't agree with is others making up rules for me to obey because that is what they think I should be doing. Thus, I'm proud to be a twat, and in fact have medals for it.

Tone

Commodore of Twat Squadron

• Greenie 1

What I don't agree with is others making up rules for me to obey because that is what they think I should be doing. Thus, I'm proud to be a twat, and in fact have medals for it.

I couldn't agree more which is why, if someone is reserving their right to not have their dog under control, I reserve my right to remove it from my proximity, by whatever means necessary and, when you are fishing your dog out of the cut, we can share a mutual sense of brotherhood, as we retain our individual rights to be twats, in each others eyes.

• Greenie 4

I couldn't agree more which is why, if someone is reserving their right to not have their dog under control, I reserve my right to remove it from my proximity, by whatever means necessary and, when you are fishing your dog out of the cut, we can share a mutual sense of brotherhood, as we retain our individual rights to be twats, in each others eyes.

.quote]

I am exercising my right to be extremely amused by the last post.

:cheers::cheers:

Edited by Athy

But in reality, we'll probably politely smile, greet each other, and pass our separate ways.

Certainly, you attack my bitch and you will receive the full benefit of my attention and follow her into the cut. So who's the real twat?

Tone

I have an 8 year old son with a six year old scar, caused by an unrestrained dog that had "never done anything like that before"

I also have a 14 year old dog with a 11 year old stump, where his leg used to be, before the dog, whose owner shouted "It's okay, he only wants to play!", bit it off.

You'll appreciate that, if you can't be arsed to keep your dog out of my space, I will, regardless of any assurances of its "friendliness".

I don't want your dog close enough to "sniff my dog's arse" and, as to your threats of violent retribution, well I will deal with that, if it should arise.

I have said that I would not take pleasure in dealing with a dog, whose owner is too arrogant and ignorant to appreciate the wishes of others, but I also hope your dog never has the misfortune to meet the one that attacked mine.

I am fairly sure that, if my dog had been off the lead and not within my immediate proximity, it wouldn't have survived the attack. Fortunately I was close enough to beat the other dog off, before any other damage was caused.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

So...I'm walking or jogging along a towpath ...walking is not too bad...you don't mind stopping but when you're jogging, you get a bit 'annoyed' at having to stop when you approach each dog. You have to stop to assertain whether the dog is friendly, trained etc. From experience I stop as in the past I've had dogs trying to bite me when I'm running. Maybe I should adopt my friends attitude which is when running, if a dog comes running towards him, he kicks it...he doesn't wait to find out if it's been trained and won't attack him. What amazes me is the attitude of dog owners whose dog has come charging towards me and is trying to jump on me/bark at me...when I tell them to get their dog under control, they have a go at me ....sort of makes me want to adopt my friends attitude....Of course I shouldn't be using the towpath...certainly not for jogging along.....and then there's the dog shit...!!!

And then there is the "Oh he's never done that before" following a dog biting, jumping up or just generally being a nuisance.

I like dogs, but believe all dogs should be on a short lead when in a public place. No ifs, buts or "he wouldn't hurt a fly". Sooner or later there will be a backlash against dogs and their owners and a lot of nice dogs and nice owners will be at a disadvantage due to irresponsible dog owners.

If don't think your dog should be on a lead all the time, make an arrangement with a private land-owner to allow your dog to run free. If you are not prepared to do that, you shouldn't own a dog.