Dogs and Old Men!

Chagall

Featured Posts

We will take your word for that! :blush:

Stewey

double bagged and with a tight knot! (one poo travelled to Chicago and back when it got inadvertently left in a coat pocket, customs never even murmured... I wish Id known about it, I could have said we were trying to circumvent a full body search!) Humbug anybody?

Just your average dog owner then!!

Nope....

All that squeamishness and unpleasantry around picking up dog shit is the main reason why I won't own a dog

Richard

Dennis manages small easy to handle, easy to bag turds about the size of a walnut... I'm sure you could cope with those....

(Or is that too much info.)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wanted

Tom, dreaming of his next adventure along the towpath, he,s not as savage as he looks we had his tatoos removed as they gave him a bad image :lol:

:wub:

I want a dog again, but have to wait for a bit, that pic dosen't help the wait!

So...I'm walking or jogging along a towpath ...walking is not too bad...you don't mind stopping but when you're jogging, you get a bit 'annoyed' at having to stop when you approach each dog. You have to stop to assertain whether the dog is friendly, trained etc. From experience I stop as in the past I've had dogs trying to bite me when I'm running. Maybe I should adopt my friends attitude which is when running, if a dog comes running towards him, he kicks it...he doesn't wait to find out if it's been trained and won't attack him. What amazes me is the attitude of dog owners whose dog has come charging towards me and is trying to jump on me/bark at me...when I tell them to get their dog under control, they have a go at me ....sort of makes me want to adopt my friends attitude....Of course I shouldn't be using the towpath...certainly not for jogging along.....and then there's the dog shit...!!!

:D

Ahhh so its you and your mate who keep running at dogs on the towpath, wondered who was that stupid. If you run towards a dog it thinks one of two things

1/ Why is that twat running ? why ever run unless its nearly last orders ?

2/ That twats running to attack me or my owner so I better be protective.

I hope ya mate waits a little longer to kick mine she is still just over six months old and only 25 kgs at the moment tell him to wait a year till she is grown, I will fone Ladbrooks and put a tenner on mi dog and retire on the winnings.......... ;)

• Greenie 1

:D

Ahhh so its you and your mate who keep running at dogs on the towpath, wondered who was that stupid. If you run towards a dog it thinks one of two things

1/ Why is that twat running ? why ever run unless its nearly last orders ?

2/ That twats running to attack me or my owner so I better be protective.

And, given that dogs think this way, they should be kept on a lead, rather than expecting everybody else to work around having a not-in-control dog around.

• Greenie 2

And, given that dogs think this way, they should be kept on a lead, rather than expecting everybody else to work around having a not-in-control dog around.

:D Or err runners go on a running track and err cyclists stay on the road for instance..... ;)

:D Or err runners go on a running track and err cyclists stay on the road for instance..... ;)

Well, I wouldn't argue about what cyclists should do, but to suggest that there should be a pedestrian speed limit simply so that you don't have to keep your dog under control is just too sily for words.

Well, I wouldn't argue about what cyclists should do, but to suggest that there should be a pedestrian speed limit simply so that you don't have to keep your dog under control is just too sily for words.

No Dave, you are failing to take into account the widely held belief, amply demonstrated on this thread that "my" dog has more rights to any given space than a citizen, voter and taxpayer. Have a dog by all means, but I refuse to share it. I don't care how friendly it wants to be I do not want to be it's friend so do not let it jump up at me, lick me or sniff my arse. How you arrange to prevent such an occurance is your problem and you took it on of your own free will the day you took on stewardship of the animal, but if you do not, then like Carl I shall.

• Greenie 2

So why is it OK for the jogger to attack the dog running towards him by kicking it, but not OK for the dog to attack the jogger running towards it? Best that people train their dogs to get in first and attack joggers without waiting to find out if they are friendly or not first.

Because the dog should be on a lead perhaps?

There was something in the news last week concerning dangerous breeds. I think it is the RSPCA who want a change so that it is "the deed and not the breed that is judged"

If that rule was adopted there would never be any action taken against a dog or it's owner until it was too late for the shredded jogger/toddler/walker/boater etc.

Why should it? Is there a regulation that requires dogs to be on a lead on canal towpaths? Perhaps there ought to be one to prevent people running along the towpath kicking dogs at random.

If your dog is running upto people then its not under proper control and should therfore be on a lead

Not everybody like dogs and strangers shouldnt be subjected to unwanted attention.

Imo its nothing to do with rules and regs its all about having consideration for others

and showing a bit of courtesy.

just my opinion

Edited by saltysplash

Maybe the jogger is going to say hello when he passes. Not everyone wants random strangers running up and greeting them so he should be kept off the towpath too. To keep properly fit a dog needs a free running exercise, not to just walk along on a lead. I don't see why people with dogs should have to keep them restrained in order to appease the few who don't like dogs. I had a dog for 16 years and one of our favourite walks was along the canal towpath and I never had him on a lead on there. Strange thing but in all that time I never encountered a single person who objected to him or threatened to attack him as he passed them. Much as I loved my dog and had 16 years of great enjoyment with him I would not have another dog and the reason is the negativity towards dogs and dog owners such as that displayed by some posters on this thread. Dogs have been a part of human society for thousands of years. They are not robots and do think independently. A great many people derive an enormous amount of pleasure from their dogs. I really can't understand the intolerance towards them that exists in some people or the attitude that all dogs are about to attack people given the chance.

• Greenie 1

Maybe the jogger is going to say hello when he passes. Not everyone wants random strangers running up and greeting them so he should be kept off the towpath too. To keep properly fit a dog needs a free running exercise, not to just walk along on a lead. I don't see why people with dogs should have to keep them restrained in order to appease the few who don't like dogs. I had a dog for 16 years and one of our favourite walks was along the canal towpath and I never had him on a lead on there. Strange thing but in all that time I never encountered a single person who objected to him or threatened to attack him as he passed them. Much as I loved my dog and had 16 years of great enjoyment with him I would not have another dog and the reason is the negativity towards dogs and dog owners such as that displayed by some posters on this thread. Dogs have been a part of human society for thousands of years. They are not robots and do think independently. A great many people derive an enormous amount of pleasure from their dogs. I really can't understand the intolerance towards them that exists in some people or the attitude that all dogs are about to attack people given the chance.

:cheers:

Hear hear Nat..........give em what for..............are you realy a rotweiler...... ;)

Ive also had dogs and allow them to run free, but only when there was no one in sight,

as soon as people or other dogs came into view it was back on the lead.

I dont understand people who force their dogs behaviour onto other people just to appease the dog.

Swmbo has a totally irrational fear of dogs even to the extent that if she sees a dog loose at a lock

she wont get off the boat but stands there shaking.

If the the dog is on the lead then she is a little braver but always gives the animal a wide berth.

I dont understand her fear and regularly pooh pooh it but its very real to her.

Keep the dog on a lead and no one suffers.

Edited by saltysplash

I have an irrational fear of balloons. Yes, even I know that is mad, but then that is why it is called an irrational fear. If, for example, a small child comes near me with a balloon I freeze. But I don't assert that children should not be allowed to have balloons because of my phobia. I didn't force my dog's behaviour onto anybody, I am as entitled to enjoy taking my dog for a walk on the towpath as much as anyone else using it. Why should other people force their behaviours onto me by expecting me to put my dog on a lead when they come near? If they don't want to be near the dog turn round and go the other way. (Not that in all the years of owning a dog did I ever encounter anyone who said that I should put my dog on a lead which rather puts into perspective some of the anti-dog sentiments on this thread.) Dogs are a fact of life, if you go for a walk on a canal towpath you are likely to encounter them so if that is a problem to you don't go where you will meet dogs.

I have an irrational fear of balloons. Yes, even I know that is mad, but then that is why it is called an irrational fear. If, for example, a small child comes near me with a balloon I freeze. But I don't assert that children should not be allowed to have balloons because of my phobia. I didn't force my dog's behaviour onto anybody, I am as entitled to enjoy taking my dog for a walk on the towpath as much as anyone else using it. Why should other people force their behaviours onto me by expecting me to put my dog on a lead when they come near? If they don't want to be near the dog turn round and go the other way. (Not that in all the years of owning a dog did I ever encounter anyone who said that I should put my dog on a lead which rather puts into perspective some of the anti-dog sentiments on this thread.) Dogs are a fact of life, if you go for a walk on a canal towpath you are likely to encounter them so if that is a problem to you don't go where you will meet dogs.

<rant>

Well, what one makes of any particular situation depends on their observations of what is happening in front of them, and their interpretation of those observations depending on their past experiences, values etc. Dogs off the lead can be fine, and can be not fine.

I am a dog owner too, and am on my second border collie. I have had to cope with a several dogfights and many skirmishes on the end of the lead my dog is on (because I always put him on the lead when passing others). 15 years ago the vets bill for such an encounter was £10 a stitch. If the other dog is making its own decisions and ignoring the commands from its owner - it is by definition out of control. I have no problem with dogs that are in control, those that are out of control and spoiling for a scrap get aquainted with my boot. The last such encounter was in my marina in the summer and the dozy owner was hardly bothered about her pair of surrogate children having a go until I clobbered one - then she went apoplectic.

So, the moral of the story. Dogs off the lead are fine if they are behaving themselves, but not all do.

Here's to responsible dog ownership, may we see more of it.

</rant>

Cheers

Graham

Another thing....people who walk fido with little shovel, them not the dog, dog does the usual and owner flicks said mess into the canal.

Martyn

Wots wrong with that? Dog poo is biodegradable. Plastic bags usually ain't. And the fish'll eat it anyway.

There are far worse things in canals than dog poo.

Tone

Maybe the jogger is going to say hello when he passes. Not everyone wants random strangers running up and greeting them so he should be kept off the towpath too.

If there are any joggers who are unable to resist the temptation to sniff arses, then they too should be on a lead.

Given that MOST joggers don't do that, they don't need to be on a lead.

Given that most dogs seem unable to resist the temptation, they should be on a lead.

Why should it? Is there a regulation that requires dogs to be on a lead on canal towpaths? Perhaps there ought to be one to prevent people running along the towpath kicking dogs at random.

Nobody has suggested kicking dogs at random.

What has been suggested is that if you have a dog, and you fail to keep it under control, and it makes an unwelcome approach to another towpath user, don't complain if it gets hoofed into the canal.

I'm not a dog hater, I have 2 dogs myself, but I wouldn't dream of imposing my dogs onto anybody else.

No Dave, you are failing to take into account the widely held belief, amply demonstrated on this thread that "my" dog has more rights to any given space than a citizen, voter and taxpayer. Have a dog by all means, but I refuse to share it. I don't care how friendly it wants to be I do not want to be it's friend so do not let it jump up at me, lick me or sniff my arse. How you arrange to prevent such an occurance is your problem and you took it on of your own free will the day you took on stewardship of the animal, but if you do not, then like Carl I shall.

Couldn't agree more, which is why our two will be on a lead if you meet them.

• Greenie 1

if you have a dog, and you fail to keep it under control, and it makes an unwelcome approach to another towpath user, don't complain if it gets hoofed into the canal.

Of course, you could try saying, politely, "Would you mind removing your dog?"

In which case I would.

'Hoofing dogs into the canal' would probably earn you a severely lacerated foot.

Tone

Of course, you could try saying, politely, "Would you mind removing your dog?"

"Oh, he's not doing any harm!"...

...(Hoof!)

What right do you have, to impose your dog on someone who does not want it bothering them...regardless of how "friendly" it is being?

The last time I paused, to ask an owner to remove their dog from my space, my dog lost a leg.

If a dog approaches me, or mine, then it is already not under correct control.

If your dog can walk to heel, without a lead, without approaching me, my dog or my family, then there would be no problem but the number of dogs that actually do this is very small indeed.

Edited by carlt

Every dog is different. People need to take the measures that are appropriate for their dog.

I have two dogs:

One of them is generally well behaved but must be on a lead at all times in public because she will sometimes choose to misbehave in her own fashion. occasionally she will run away, occasionally she will act aggressively towards another dog, and she will often be over-friendly towards human beings. Therefore if you see me with her, she will be on a lead.

The other is generally mischievous but will always obey my commands. He loves to run far and fast but he will always come back to me when called, he will walk at my fingertip as long as I hold my hand down beside my leg, he will not harass any other dog, and he will never ever approach another human (or any other form of animal) without my permission. If you see me out with him, he will not be on a lead.

It is not possible to apply any form of universal rule.