Dogs and Old Men!

Chagall

Featured Posts

Sophie is well flattered that she could be compares with a Rotty. She's still laughing.....

Sophie wasn't being compared with a rotweiler.

You were being compared with the self-centred idiots who strut around imagining that their posession of a dog entitles them to push other people about.

• Greenie 2

can see both sides tbh.

Although the dog owner might know that their dog is friendly a stranger it may approach does not.

When we where on the Llangollen canal this year and we where walking back to the marina in Llangollen from the horseshoe falls a woman was on the towpath walking the same way as us with a dog and we where catching up to her.

She actually stopped and put her dog on it's leed while we passed her, funny thing was we would have been happy to pass without her doing that.

All it takes is a bit of common sense from everyone, as I said just because you know your dog is friendly does not mean everyone will know it is

Interesting this observation, to the dog being stopped and put on the lead could make the dog think that people approaching are "a bad thing" I spent sometome as a milkman and being a dog owner have an understanding of the way a dog's mind works. Simply like this Postman/Milkman/whoever comes to the door, I hear noise and bark, noise goes away ergo if I dont know what "it" is I'll bark and it will go away. I always made a point of befriending the dogs on my round, never had a problem even when I was delivering in the wee hours, the dogs recognised the sounds I made and thought "friend"

Just a thought

Phil

• Greenie 1

Interesting this observation, to the dog being stopped and put on the lead could make the dog think that people approaching are "a bad thing" I spent sometome as a milkman and being a dog owner have an understanding of the way a dog's mind works. Simply like this Postman/Milkman/whoever comes to the door, I hear noise and bark, noise goes away ergo if I dont know what "it" is I'll bark and it will go away. I always made a point of befriending the dogs on my round, never had a problem even when I was delivering in the wee hours, the dogs recognised the sounds I made and thought "friend"

Just a thought

Phil

Onthe other hand, (or Paw) Putting the Dog on the lead shows goodwill toward the people approaching and allays their fear that the dog will come upto them.

Ive had two GSD's the first was an absolute sod when it came to other dogs so we always put him on his lead when folk or other dogs approached, the 2nd was an absolute cutie but we always put her on her lead when folk approached. The result, no worries what so ever with either dog and passers by could do so without fear.

Most owners think their dog is well trained and wouldnt hurt a fly.

Consider the Police Dog Handler one early morning in Peckham. Gets a call to assist local officers search for suspects on the North Peckham Estate. 2 hours later the search is called off with no trace of the suspect.

The Handler and dog come back to the nick for a brew, (this was in the days when the dogs were allowed in the canteen.) As soon as the dog van doors are opened the dog shoots out and dashes out of the yard and is last seen heading at full speed along Peckham high st towards Camberwell with the handler hot on his heels. No amount of commands will stop this dog, he has something on his mind and he has gone.

This was not a young dog but had been on the job for a number of years. It had never done it before and never did it again but it had that 1 moment of indisipline.

I never let the handler forget it.

Edited by saltysplash

Just a thought

Phil

Excellent observation/ My own dog was attacked by a farm collie while he was on his lead resulting in severe wounds to three of his legs. After that if he met a loose dog while he was on his lead he would go mad barking at it out of fear. if the other dog decided to rise to the challenge my dog's only idea of fighting was to lie on his back while the other dog bit chunks out of him so it wasn't a good situation. If he was off his lead he was fine. If the other dog appeared unfriendly he would give it a wide berth and run if he thought it was going to become aggressive. On his lead he could not do that so he panicked. So, rather than putting my dog on a lead if there was another dog approaching I would let him off if it was somewhere safe to do so. This wasn't being irresponsible or inconsiderate, it was avoiding possible problems and aggravation.

So, rather than putting my dog on a lead if there was another dog approaching I would let him off if it was somewhere safe to do so. This wasn't being irresponsible or inconsiderate, it was avoiding possible problems and aggravation.

I think many dogs are better with other dogs if they are not on their lead, that's been my experience with the last two dogs I've had. I would see what the other dog owner did as they approached, if they put the lead on I would do the same and invariably both dogs would pass in an agitated manner, whereas off the lead they would usually have a sniff and do a bit of posturing or chasing and that would be it.

It's people without dogs who need to be considered though and really, for their sakes I think the dog should be on a lead if it is boisterous or looks intimidating. There can't be many people who would feel threatened by a placid dog which is walking to heel.

We have some friends who live in the Pyrennes and go walking a lot. They are both afraid of dogs and when we have been with them walking we have often encountered quite mangey mutts when passing isolated properties.They only ever bark and follow us for a while but our friends get very nervous. I suggested to them that if they had a dog of their own to take with them, the dogs would only be interested in one another and they would find it much less traumatic.

Yes tone darling, tis me :cheers:

I am the new owner of this. moored at willowtree marina..pop in when your passing...dogs welcome :rolleyes:

CIMG2035.jpg

Nice one, Tel, a campervan with no wheels, eh? Next time I'm coming south by car I'll let you know. Can you PM me a phone number?

cheers

Tone

• 1 month later...

A boat and a campervan is a great combination, especially if you have a dog or two (back on topic).

I miss my old bus. But hopefully, soon.....

Tone

Sounds like a good combination Tone! Haven't seen you on 80-90 for a while..

athome005.jpg

these cold dark evenings I just sit and plan my next year retirement adventure..think I'll start by going up the GU and see how far I get {single handed]then back down the oxford and then buy an anchor and do the Thames back home to willowtree..no rush I'll take as long as I want. then who knows?????????maybe the Wey and businesslike if its got any water in it :rolleyes:

snipped

Given that, so far as I can see, you have fallen out with every organisation that you have ever joined (NABO, SOW, NBW spring to mind) and proceed to slag them off, having spent much of your time lambasting others for criticising them, you really have little to say.

I suppose this begs the question that if an individual has fallen out with so many organisations/groups then is it the organisations/groups at fault or the individual that is the problem?

Roger

I suppose this begs the question that if an individual has fallen out with so many organisations/groups then is it the organisations/groups at fault or the individual that is the problem?

Roger

Rather than give a hasty response to that question I will take six weeks or so to consider it :unsure:

Rather than give a hasty response to that question I will take six weeks or so to consider it :unsure:

Yes, sorry about the delay, but having been out of the country while this thread was running at its height I've only just discovered it after it has been bumped with recent additions. :rolleyes:

Roger

Roger

If you insist on dredging up Mayall's dirt again, I will point out that I'm still a card carrying member of NABO, that I withdrew from NBW after the editor made public criticism of me without contacting me first, and I resigned from SOW when the chairman broke his promises to me regarding policy.

I am also an active member of several other organisations that Mayall knows nothing about.

He has a personal, very childish, vendetta against me.

I'm ignoring him. He isn't worth the effort. I wish others would do the same.

Tone

• Greenie 1