Crazy new boat safety requirement

Dominic M

Featured Posts

Following on from the 'horn' thread, I see this as the perfect opportunity to use brass instruments! I favour the French horn for reversing, the trumpet for warnings and a sax for those atmospheric tunnels! :rolleyes:

I'm not going to worry and I'm certainly not going to fit such a daft device.

While googling this topic I came across another European quango which is looking into restricting the use of such devices on the grounds that they contravene noise abatement legislation.

So we'll probably be required to fit one, but will not be allowed to use it. :P

The use of such devices on HGV's is already restricted, and as such there needs to be a switch in the cab, to turn the thing off between 22.30 and 06.30 (ish, I haven't checked recently). In my experience, the bloody thing is usually switched off altogether.

if, as suggested, it is a requirement of a new ISO, then it should only be relevant for RCD compliance on new boats. In which case it wouldn't be retrospective and it wouldn't be a legal requirement from a navigational point of view unless it was also incorporated in the BSS.

Edited by ChrisPy

I happened to be watching Grumpy Old Men last night on BBC2 and up popped Arfur Smiff bemoaning how we are living in an era infested with bleeps and horrible ring tones emanating from vehicles and phones and check out tills etc etc and the idea came into my head. Sorry, but I couldn't resist it! Cheers all. :)

I happened to be watching Grumpy Old Men last night on BBC2 and up popped Arfur Smiff bemoaning how we are living in an era infested with bleeps and horrible ring tones emanating from vehicles and phones and check out tills etc etc and the idea came into my head. Sorry, but I couldn't resist it! Cheers all. :)

Har har...I just bought a beeper of Ebay for me new barge! :lol:

Ah, the subtle way of announcing you've bought a new barge.

No, the same one I announced I was having built, about a year ago...well it is being built in Ireland! :P

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/MauriceA/MauriceAA.html

Not much happened since last piccy, apart from a bloody lot of seam welding.

Anyone who can't hear my Gardner when I'm reversing deserves to be run over. If I'm REAALLY lucky it'll be best-selling author Tony Blair who's walking on the water behind me....whoops! Sorry Tony, didn't you hear me coming?

Sounds like you've got a weapon of mass destruction there...

Oh b*gger! And at great expense I've just rushed out and bought and fitted one cos I always do what BSS wants straight away for H&S reasons.

Tone

• Greenie 1

Oh b*gger! And at great expense I've just rushed out and bought and fitted one cos I always do what BSS wants straight away for H&S reasons.

Tone

I feel guilty now. It's a good job you didn't react to my post on the need to manually separate solids from liquids from your loo under new recycling requirements for boats

I am quite disappointed that this is a wind up. I thought it was a damn good idea personally.

So did I after sampling the latest delivery from Majestic :)

How about a man walking and waving a red flag instead?

Biggles

That would have to be Jesus then, cos he'd have to walk on water, Shirley?

Tone

I feel guilty now. It's a good job you didn't react to my post on the need to manually separate solids from liquids from your loo under new recycling requirements for boats

You mean that was a wind up too? And I've installed a holding tank with stainless steel filtering separator baffles!

I wuz told about this site by Martin Clark of PW. I wish he hadn't bothered now! You are obviously all as mad as he is!

Tone

Your source for this, as Google seerms to reveal absolutely nowt on the topic ?

Or is there a punch line coming that I have failed to guess ?

I rest my case, but nice try!

I think it might be a double bluff. He's trying to state that he made it all up, but it might be real. Or am I just being paranoid? Or is that question just me being paranoid? And is that last question just being even more paranoid about being paranoid?

Am I paranoid about being paranoid?

Could I be paranoid about being paranoid about worrying about being paranoid?

Gawd, uk.rec.waterways was much safer than this!!

Tone

The worrying thing is that you couldn't discount the possibility altogether in this day and age
:angry:

Actually, I'll be honest, and say I did dismiss it and was a bit worried Dominic had lost the plot completely. ;)

Dominic, we seem to be short of custom in the unStable Bar, will you join us please :cheers:

Am I paranoid about being paranoid?

Could I be paranoid about being paranoid about worrying about being paranoid?

Isn't the important thing to remember about being paranoid that sometimes, just sometimes, the ba**ards really are out to get you ?