Who Fancies Going To Sea?

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

Anyone share my vague ambition to one day try cruising boats at sea? I don't know if it will ever happen but I'd love to have a go one day perhaps. That is, own a little fishing boat, motor cruiser or even yacht and sail way out with nothing to see but waves. I suppose LLandudno area would be nice to moor up a sea boat.

Ive already been but cant wait to go out again at the weekend. It is something special to turn around and realise you cant see land anymore (admittedly it was only because visibility wasnt at its best but you still couldnt see land) Am really looking forward to a big of wave jumping again and by the looks of the forecast (Windguru) we should be in for bigger waves than last time with average waves of 1.5m this time whereas they were only about 1.0m last time :lol:

Ive already been but cant wait to go out again at the weekend. It is something special to turn around and realise you cant see land anymore (admittedly it was only because visibility wasnt at its best but you still couldnt see land)

When we crossed the Ribble Link we couldn't see land as we went round the Asland Lamp (thankfully we could see that!) because the weather was so atrocious... not the most comfortable place in a narrow boat!

We intend, medium to long term, to take Juno on certain sea and estuarine trips, some as part of more inland holidays. For example, if we do the broads I'd like to go out at Lowestoft and in at Yarmouth, and thus clock Mutford Lock.

That's what you call a real sea boat, I'd say. I suppose it will be a while into the future but ideally I'd like to do both canal and sea boating as well. I did used to often go to North Wales and so I suppose in places such as Conwy you'd come across small fishing or cruiser boats.

The closest I ever got was years ago with oars and a dingy. I also used an oar boat in Russia and once cruised down the Volga in Russia on a proper passenger boat.

Still, maybe at some point I'll find a sea boat as well and just go way off. For that there is navigation tackle, radio and so on.

I'll be off at the Bank Holiday, then a bigger jaunt in mid September.

DSCF0198.jpg

We intend, medium to long term, to take Juno on certain sea and estuarine trips, some as part of more inland holidays. For example, if we do the broads I'd like to go out at Lowestoft and in at Yarmouth, and thus clock Mutford Lock.

Our intended main holiday next year is to take Cal to the broads. We currently have a small flotillia building for the two week excusrion next June or July. The intended route will be from Lincoln to Boston, Boston to Lowestoft and then leave the Broads seven days later from Great Yarmouth, weather dependant of course, heading back for an overnight stop at Wells next the Sea before heading back to Boston and finally Lincoln.

I'll be off at the Bank Holiday, then a bigger jaunt in mid September.

You heading anywhere nice?

We are planning on getting a power cruiser sports thing when we feel we can step back from our business and let someone else run it without us more often..

I cant wait but at the moment hell will freeze over before i take more time off and let other people run things :lol:

Its gonna be fun when we do though!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing there are no navigable canals within thousands of miles I have to content myself getting waterborne on the lumpystuff. Cant afford a my own boat, or diesel so its crewing a very old boat, a 19Century 58ft 23ton restored gaff rigged cutter. Out yesterday 4th September racing on Auckland harbour 33kt wind gusting 43kts. Didn't break anything other then one crew member now has a permanently mute cell phone. waitangi4thsept031copy1.jpg

From the upright side of the world here in New Zealand, at least I know when I stand up, you ditch-crawlers are way way down beneath my feet, and worse, are upside down. Cheers from NZ Don

Getting the photo in did not quite work 1st time, or 2nd.(or 3rd) it harder then steering a narrowboat.

Edited by DandV

I can thoroughly recommend sailing out of Conwy and Deganwy. Both marinas are excellent. The bay is reasonably well sheltered except from north-west. The only drawback is the fast tidal stream, which can exceed 3 knots. My boat (10 metre ketch) has been there for nearly 10 years.

That seems to be along time to wait for a suitable tide

anyone seen my coat?

It's all part of the long term retirement plan (if I make it to ever be able to retire).

Spend a few years mooching around the canal system, then sell the NB, buy a yacht and sail off in to the wild blue yonder :lol:

:D I'm bound the other way!! Just about to start my 15th year as a solo wandering liveaboard, but looking to settle on the canals in a short time.

Here I am 10 days out of Falmouth on the Portugese algarve last summer. Been wandering the Med since and now wintering in Spain.. Saxon

Portimaocopy004-1.jpg

Been there, dun it, got the tee shirt etc., etc., now decided to retire to the cut. Reason - on a NB my glass of wine stays where I put it !

I agree. After 3 years in the Merchant Navy and owning several small seagoing yacht and motorboats, I have decided the canals are best because my dinner stays where it is put!! (Unless a sucession of speeding narrow boats zoom past)

Keith