Lister Sr2 Gearbox

Featured Posts

Which type? LM100, LH150 etc?

I think they both take SAE80 gearbox oil, don't they?

Certainly the LH150 does.

PC

Edited to add, including the reduction... Bearing in mind, neither take much, don't overfill 'em.

Edited by paulcatchpole

There's another type of Gearbox, can't for the life of me remember which one, which recommends 30's... same as the engine itself, or thats what I've read somewhere anyway,

There's another type of Gearbox, can't for the life of me remember which one, which recommends 30's... same as the engine itself, or thats what I've read somewhere anyway,

Fair cop then...

I guess, remembering the bit I always forget, that gearbox oil and engine oil are on different scales for weight, meaning SAE30 engine oil is similar to SAE80 gearbox oil.

visc.jpg

PC

Edited by paulcatchpole

PC

Edited to add, including the reduction... Bearing in mind, neither take much, don't overfill 'em.

80 or 90 EP depending on whether you read the handbook or the engine/gearbox plate !!

Other sources say either is acceptable.

PC

LH150 is EP 80w/90

LM100 is 20w/50

LH150 is EP 80w/90

LM100 is 20w/50

So why not SAE80 in the LM100 then, Dave, if they're the same viscosity?

Going on that, I'd probably stick EP80 in it, and benefit from the extreme pressure performance?

PC

Going on that, I'd probably stick EP80 in it, and benefit from the extreme pressure performance?

PC

I suspect that it is probably OK to do so.

Given that in either set up, the reduction gear gets whatever the reversing gear gets, it is clear that the reduction works OK with either.

My guess is that the LM100 doesn't need EP80w/90, so they specified 20w/50, meaning that you only need to buy one type of oil.

The LH150 uses the oil for hydraulic operation, and does need EP oil (emergency use of 20w/50 NOT a pretty sight or smell)

Given that in either set up, the reduction gear gets whatever the reversing gear gets, it is clear that the reduction works OK with either.

My guess is that the LM100 doesn't need EP80w/90, so they specified 20w/50, meaning that you only need to buy one type of oil.

The LH150 uses the oil for hydraulic operation, and does need EP oil (emergency use of 20w/50 NOT a pretty sight or smell)

Why the above bit, Dave?

They don't share oil - are you saying that people'll stick the same in both out of convenience?

Also, isn't the epicyclic train in both boxes about the same? Does the oil pump in the LH150 exert enough force to break non-EP oil down? I was assuming the shear forces on the teeth faces would be the important factor?

PC

Lister specify EP80 or 90 for the LM100 and the LH150 and the reduction box. And as Paul said the reduction box doesn't share oil with

the reverse box - they are independent and have separate sumps (and dipsticks).

Why the above bit, Dave?

They don't share oil - are you saying that people'll stick the same in both out of convenience?

Also, isn't the epicyclic train in both boxes about the same? Does the oil pump in the LH150 exert enough force to break non-EP oil down? I was assuming the shear forces on the teeth faces would be the important factor?

PC

No, they don't share oil.

People stick the same in both, because the brass plate on the LH150 tells you to use EP in the reversing and reduction gears, whilst the brass plate on the LM100 says to use 20w/50 in both.

PC

One issue with using EP oils where they're not specified can be that they (or additives within them, possibly sulphur) can attack some bronzes.

Tim

I will be changing the gear and reduction oils later, as after running for 6.5 hrs at max chat, my Humber trip, when I arrived at Keadby lock, the gearbox was stuck in forward gear, infact when I selected reverse, it cut the engine out. Next day all was fine, so I'm guessing the oil got very hot.

So as a precaution, its oil change time before i go back out on the Trent.

• 9 years later...
3 minutes ago, Tom llewellyn said:

This question is on a different point but as a real newbie to boating and having bought a boat with a Lister Sr2 can people tell me which tank is the right one for the engine oil and which is for the gear oil? 

Thanks Tom

20200404_115920.jpg

Take your pick, they both feed into exactly the same place, the crankcase.

If you mean those two filler caps, side by side on the valve covers that is, neither are for the gearbox oil, both for engine oil.

Engine oil goes in either of the two removeable caps in  your picture.  Gearbox oll goes in a different place and a picture of your gearbox, and the reduction gearbox,  If fitted, would help explain where the gearbox oils go.

Any reduction gearbox will be at the back of the gearbox.

N

PS Those are not tanks.  They are just covers for the valves and they carry the decompressors.

Gearbox dipstick on port side,  Reduction box, if you have one on starboard side. Hypoy 80-90 sae gear oil in both, whether you have the Lister LH150 hydraulic gearbox or the LM100 manual gearbox.

3 minutes ago, Tom llewellyn said:

This is a photo of the gear box guys. 

20200404_124952.jpg

LM100 manual box, the dipstick should be on the lefthand side of the gearbox in that photo. You have the reduction box too, the top of the dipstick can be seen on the right hand side of it in your photo.  I have come across side oil level plugs on those gearboxes, but rare. A square headed plug.

• Greenie 1

Hi Ok I can see the two dipsticks one on right starboard side of front and one at back of the gear box. Cleaning the plate I can see it's a LM100. A lot of info you can find from reading these old plates lol. 

The dipstick at the back is quite mangled and hard to see what's going on with it in terms of oil levels... The dipstick at the front reads a bit over filled. This boat is not the easiest to get into neutral so bought some SAE80 a couple of days ago and have some new 10/40 engine oil to put in so wanted to know where it all goes.. This boat is an ongoing journey for me.. thank you for all of these quick and informative responses! So the oil for the gear box just goes below these two caps on gear box photo?