Lister Sr2 Gearbox

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Tom llewellyn said:

Hi Ok I can see the two dipsticks one on right starboard side of front and one at back of the gear box. Cleaning the plate I can see it's a LM100. A lot of info you can find from reading these old plates lol. 

It might say engine oil for the gearbox on that plate if its a very early box, but Lister quickly changed the spec to Hypoy gear oil. They did the same with the LH150 hydraulic box.

Edited by bizzard

2 minutes ago, Tom llewellyn said:

So the oil for the gear box just goes below these two caps on gear box photo? Warmly Tom

You fill or top up the oil in the gearbox through where that brass plug is in the centre of the top plate. The reduction box is filled or topped up by unscrewing the tower brass plug sticking up which is also the breather.

20200404_124952.jpg

You look to have a considerable amount of oil below the gearbox / engine, I'd suggest it should be near the top of your to do list to get it cleaned out and find out where it is coming from.

Whatever oil you 'put in' may come out just as quickly.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

It might say engine oil for the gearbox on that plate if its a very early box, but Lister quickly changed the spec to Hypoy gear oil. They did the same with the LH150 hydraulic box.

Are you sure about the Hypoy bit. I always understood and used EP80 gear oil rather than Hypoid but I can't see SAE 80 or multi-grade equivalent would do any damage.

17 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Are you sure about the Hypoy bit. I always understood and used EP80 gear oil rather than Hypoid but I can't see SAE 80 or multi-grade equivalent would do any damage.

I was quoting from an ancient Lister manual, Yes EP 80/90

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Meant to say hypoid won't do any damage so its a moot point.

The same old manual that states engine oil in those boxes with an update to use Hypoy gear oil. Of course Hypoy, ep 80, exstreme pressure is really intended for units with hellically cut gears where the teeth rub is greater than spur gears.  Remember Hi-Press oil ep 160, used in many pre war and just post war rear axles. Smellled of almonds, ep 80 smells of cats pee.

24 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The same old manual that states engine oil in those boxes with an update to use Hypoy gear oil. Of course Hypoy, ep 80, exstreme pressure is really intended for units with hellically cut gears where the teeth rub is greater than spur gears.  Remember Hi-Press oil ep 160, used in many pre war and just post war rear axles. Smellled of almonds, ep 80 smells of cats pee.

I never liked he smell of gear oil, especially very old gear oil. Luckily I no longer have to deal with it.

On 04/04/2020 at 14:51, Alan de Enfield said:

You look to have a considerable amount of oil below the gearbox / engine, I'd suggest it should be near the top of your to do list to get it cleaned out and find out where it is coming from.

Based on many excursions to retrieve spanners from similar bilges, it will be mostly water with some oil floating on the top.

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Based on many excursions to retrieve spanners from similar bilges, it will be mostly water with some oil floating on the top.

You were lucky then never to have tried to retrieve spanners from what used to lie under Flamingo's Lister....

... if only it had been mostly water!

9 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

You were lucky then never to have tried to retrieve spanners from what used to lie under Flamingo's Lister....

... if only it had been mostly water!

You should try it when its about 3 foot deep, I bent a length of cable tray to form a scoop 

51 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Allowing 3 feet of water to accumulate in the bilges would appear to be rather bad 'management'.

Wasn't my boat, I wish I could afford to buy one that big. It was an Ex RAF wartime patrol boat for fishing out downed planes