Obtaining a TV licence as a ccer

Chrissyboy

Featured Posts

Hi

Might sound like a daft question but how do I obtain a TV licence as a ccer please, being that I am officially "of no fixed abode"?

I don't want to end up being fined at some point in the future so I'd rather just do things right. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Chris

Hi

Might sound like a daft question but how do I obtain a TV licence as a ccer please, being that I am officially "of no fixed abode"?

I don't want to end up being fined at some point in the future so I'd rather just do things right. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Chris

Although you're a CC'er . . do you have a 'regular' land-based address you use as an address for important things?

If so - use that as your TV Licence addy.

However, most CC'ers (I believe) don't bother with TV Licences - as there is no effective route offered by the Licensing Authority to buy a licence without a fixed address

Do a quick search ont' Forum - there was a thread about this recently

However, most CC'ers (I believe) don't bother with TV Licences - as there is no effective route offered by the Licensing Authority to buy a licence without a fixed address

Surely this should read:

"However, most CC'ers (I believe) don't bother with TV Licences, using the excuse that there is no effective route offered by the Licensing Authority to buy a licence without a fixed address."

Edited by carlt

Surely this should read:

"However, most CC'ers (I believe) don't bother with TV Licences, using the excuse that there is no effective route offered by the Licensing Authority to buy a licence without a fixed address."

Very probably, although, to be fair, TVL are not good at dealing with Licences for those who have no fixed abode.

The address on a licence isn't just a correspondence address, it is the licenced address.

Surely this should read:

Carl - you're quite right, of course, though it's my understanding that as Dave so eloquently puts it -

"TVL are not good at dealing with Licences for those who have no fixed abode." - -

Which is why - I assume, a number of CC'ers don't bother buying a TV licence

Edited by Grace & Favour

Very probably, although, to be fair, TVL are not good at dealing with Licences for those who have no fixed abode.

The address on a licence isn't just a correspondence address, it is the licenced address.

and both my home address and my correspondence address appeared on the licence.

It was pretty straightforward and no questions were raised.

Although you're a CC'er . . do you have a 'regular' land-based address you use as an address for important things?

If so - use that as your TV Licence addy.

Do a quick search ont' Forum - there was a thread about this recently

but be careful, although not specific about boats, this may apply.

Quote:

Do I need a licence for my mobile home or caravan?

Yes. If you have a static caravan, mobile home or moveable chalet and it has a TV which is used at the same time as a TV set is being used in your main licensed home you'll need a separate licence to cover your second home. You'll also need to buy a TV Licence if your static caravan, mobile home or moveable chalet is your main residence and you use a TV set in it.

You can buy a TV Licence online.

However, if the TV in your static caravan or mobile home is never in use at the same time as the TV at your main home, you don't need a separate licence. But you do need to complete a declaration form and return it to us so that we can update our records. Please note, the above only applies if:

* Your caravan, mobile home or moveable chalet is capable of being moved from one place to another (by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer).

* You have a TV Licence at your home address.

Unquote

I'm with Carl on this one, although not a CC'er, I am a liveaboard and as such needed a licence for my only abode. I own a flat so used the address and the licence states both my addresses on it, the boat and the flat - covered. At the end of the day (my least favorite cliche) they just want your money and as long as you pay up I have found them very helpful.

I put this question by email to TV licensing...who responded by telephone. They were very helpful and he said all you do is use a PO box... a post office ...or a friends house..tell them by email that you have done this and they 'mark' that you are using it on a boat and actually have no 'abode' .

Bob

TV Licensing is an archaic, outdated and utterly pointless endeavour!!! :lol:

They like to claim that if you own a TV, you need to license it, regardless of whether you use it as a monitor for video, playing console games on it, or just have it propping up a coffee table!!! :lol:

If you can prove that the TV in question is incapable of receiving TV channels (mine certainly wasn't cos the tuner was burgered), then they will withdraw for a few days, then another "This address is unlicensed" letter will follow, and they will hound you to the ends of the earth, even though you have already proven to them that the set doesn't work as a TV tuner!!! :lol:

(as you can tell, I have been through this, and I HATE them with a passion!!!)

I can understand the need for a license to drive, a license to sell alcohol, or a license to use the canal system, or even a license for dogs (if that makes a return), but, a license for a TV is just ridiculous, there's no safety issue to leave you "responsible" for anything (unless you happen to throw your set out the window or something daft!!!), and that is how I see a license, a safety thing...

Now, calling the TV license a Tax (a FORCED tax at that!!!), then that would be more appropriate, cos that is what it is, it's money collected for public services, like Council tax, Road tax, Value Added Tax, the only difference is that they have named it a license (and yes, I know that Road Tax is known in this PC state as a "Road fund license", but it is a tax at the end of the day). Do you get bailiffs knocing on your door if your BW license expires? Nope!! Do you get License operatives ordering you to buy a driving license when you don't drive? Nope!!! It's a tax, and it is about time it changed to something more appropriate and was put to better use (like, going to where it's meant to go, the BBC, not the back pockets of the government!!!).... :lol:

Rant over, I'll go get my kevlar helmet.... ;)

I can understand the need for a license to drive, a license to sell alcohol, or a license to use the canal system, or even a license for dogs (if that makes a return), but, a license for a TV is just ridiculous, there's no safety issue to leave you "responsible" for anything (unless you happen to throw your set out the window or something daft!!!), and that is how I see a license, a safety thing...

The TV licence pays to keep the BBC advert-free - immunising it against commercial interests but giving the government an unhealthy influence. You can argue about whether this is a good arrangement or not, but you can't argue that the fee serves no purpose - it clearly does. If licensing was only about safety, a BW licence would be free on proof of insurance and BSS.

However, they cannot actually do anything unless you let them in/admit to having a TV. Detector vans appear to be an elaborate lie.

Now, calling the TV license a Tax (a FORCED tax at that!!!), then that would be more appropriate

How is it a FORCED tax?

Last time I checked, the legislation requiring everybody to own a TV hadn't been passed.

Anybody can avoid this tax by simply not watching TV

The BBC show almost as many adverts as the commercial chanels and im sick of them.

By adverts, I mean BBCs own adverts advertising other programmes. I do not wish to see them. They waste my time.

I hope the gov force the Beeb to cut the waste, especially in the inflated salaries dept.

Do we need to pay for a whole outside broadcast team to fly round the world on the most flimsy of reasons. Take 2 years ago when it was all kicking off in Zimbabwe. The Beeb journalists wernt allowed in the country so they stood next to a barb wire fence in South africa, just to do a report to the camera. And not just one presenter, they have the main man, plus the local man, plus the enterage, all flown out at a moments notice at the licence payers expense

I wouldnt run my business like that and hope to stay in business unless I was gifted milions of someone elses money

Got Broadband? Yes? Do what we did when girlie went to uni last year. Use Iplayer/On Demand etc. Having checked with TVL you dont need a licence for that as you are not watching a programme thats is being broadcasted at that time. Worked vey well for daughter and is doing the same this year when she goes back. Just means you have a wait a day to watch the programme of your choice. Saved her/us the licence fee!

Persoanlly I would'nt bother anyway...............

On another note it amazes me ow TVL can use PO Box no for an address but the DVLA dont like the idea. Sorry can of worms....................

Edited by tillergirl

Got Broadband? Yes? Do what we did when girlie went to uni last year. Use Iplayer/On Demand etc. Having checked with TVL you dont need a licence for that as you are not watching a programme thats is being broadcasted at that time. Worked vey well for daughter and is doing the same this year when she goes back. Just means you have a wait a day to watch the programme of your choice. Saved her/us the licence fee!

Persoanlly I would'nt bother anyway...............

On another note it amazes me ow TVL can use PO Box no for an address but the DVLA dont like the idea. Sorry can of worms....................

CCers don't have broadband, and there is no (genuinely) unlimited data package for 3G yet. We buy 7GB for £25, and an hour of video is ~1GB. Much cheaper to buy a licence if you wish to be law-abiding.

DVLA data is needed by the police should you do anything naughty/lethal with your vehicle. The only naughty thing you can do with your TV which would involve TVL is not having a licence, which isn't an issue if you're trying to buy a licence without a fixed address to attach it to.

Edited by ymu

How is it a FORCED tax?

Last time I checked, the legislation requiring everybody to own a TV hadn't been passed.

Anybody can avoid this tax by simply not watching TV

Okay, cancel your TV license, discard your TV(s) and set top boxes and inform them, and count how many letters you get afterwards stating that the address is unlicensed, then you'll understand what I mean!!! There is no law that says you have to own a TV, but there's nothing stopping them using their database to claim that you're breaking the law by being unlicensed, even though you have no reception equipment...

That is my main gripe with them, they force a license upon you, even if you have proved to them several times that there is no effing TV capable of receiving in the house!!! :lol:

And, no, they can't do anything without proof that you are or are not watching a TV, but they do like knocking (heavily) on your door a few times a month to remind you that they are incompetent fools who are using info from a central database that isn't always kept up to date... :lol: