And he's off....

Featured Posts

Today I finally went, and picked up my boat, and started the move down to the K&A. I left Stone at 16.00 hrs, and managed to tie up by bridge 78 at 21.00 hrs.

Steering the boat is a huge enjoyment, and I only cocked it up twice. Sofar.. :lol:

The biggest learning curve is the approach of a lock landing, and moving off afterwars, into the lock, :lol: Is it me, or do they not give you enough room to manouvre into the lock? ( I know, I know.. It's me, I'll manage it eventually.. :lol: )

Having a whale of a time, and tomorrow will be the first full on 06.00 till late day.

night night..

Guest wanted
Today I finally went, and picked up my boat, and started the move down to the K&A. I left Stone at 16.00 hrs, and managed to tie up by bridge 78 at 21.00 hrs.

Steering the boat is a huge enjoyment, and I only cocked it up twice. Sofar.. :lol:

The biggest learning curve is the approach of a lock landing, and moving off afterwars, into the lock, :lol: Is it me, or do they not give you enough room to manouvre into the lock? ( I know, I know.. It's me, I'll manage it eventually.. :lol: )

Having a whale of a time, and tomorrow will be the first full on 06.00 till late day.

night night..

Have you tried starting off from the previous lock? :lol:

Glad you are out and having fun

Have you tried starting off from the previous lock? :lol:

Glad you are out and having fun

Coming down the Audlem flight last week it was quite busy in both directions but it meant that most of the time I was swapping locks with up-coming boats which made the passage much quicker, being able to leave the gates and go straight in to the next lock. Busy doesn't always mean delays.

night night..

Great have a good time. I think a good part of your learning process would be to come down the Bristol Channel with myself and "Petronella" at the end of August.

night night..

enjoy :lol:

<snip>

night night..

It's definitely you. Stop mooring up on lock landings and life will be much easier. Put the bow in the mouth of the lock, put the stern against the bank, step off and put a couple of turns of rope around a bollard. That's the way it used to be done, and you now know why

Richard

Congratulations on being out now. Keep on cocking it up, that's how the rest of us learn as well

It's definitely you. Stop mooring up on lock landings and life will be much easier. Put the bow in the mouth of the lock, put the stern against the bank, step off and put a couple of turns of rope around a bollard. That's the way it used to be done, and you now know why

Richard

Congratulations on being out now. Keep on cocking it up, that's how the rest of us learn as well

I'm sure he's right you know. And if I come across a quiet lock I'll give it a try. I'm doing the Atherstone locks tomorrow morning... good practise

:lol:

If it all goes horribly wrong, I'll tell them that is was your idea...

Where will you be mooring on the K&A?

Bradford on Avon

Great have a good time. I think a good part of your learning process would be to come down the Bristol Channel with myself and "Petronella" at the end of August.

Haa. hA HAHA. Oh god, nooo. I took three attempts today to get past that big boat yard on a bent, on the Coventry. There was a viscious side wind blowing me into the bank... Needed a lot more throttle than I thought. problem is partly that the bow only draws a foot or so. I will have to move some balast around. I will try the Thames first.. :lol:

:lol: Today I managed to get from just before Great HAyward marina, to just before the Atherstone locks. A 06.00 start saw me arriving in rudgely in time for brekkie at Morrisons, and than onwards. Most trouble today with a viscious wind blowing on the Coventry. had me in the bank a few times, untill I worked out that if your fighting a side wind like that, all thought for moored boats goes out of the window. more throttle solved the problem to some extent, but I still feel like I was 'crabbing' half the time.

I properly cocked up Fradley Junction as well... As I was not sure if I needed to turn left or not, I shouted to some body on the bank. When she confirmed that I had to go left, I attempted the turn, but you guessed it, I was to late... Queue lots of reverse, and a totaly inept newby trying to make the 'all in a days work', I reversed (my boat does not do reverse by the way. I can see this becoming a love-hate relationship :lol: ), and tried again. And you would think I get it back far enough to try again? I mean, to make the same cock-up twice would be embarrising, no?

Yes, I parked in the bank again.. luckily a passerby was kind enough to give the bow a shove, and all was well.

start at six, finished at half eight. I'm off for a pint....

Haa. hA HAHA. Oh god, nooo. I took three attempts today to get past that big boat yard on a bent, on the Coventry. There was a viscious side wind blowing me into the bank... Needed a lot more throttle than I thought. problem is partly that the bow only draws a foot or so. I will have to move some balast around. I will try the Thames first.. :lol:

Had to smile as that bought back memories for me I remember when I first started and it was a January passing the same yard with the same problem the wind was very strong I also needed diesel I must have bumped off every boat in the yard when I had dieseled up I was advised it might be better if I waited until the wind died down before I moved off again, I was there for 2 days thinking what have I let myself in for with this boating lark. I think if someone had come along and offer to buy "Gemma Joy" at that stage I would have accepted anything around £10!!!

I properly cocked up Fradley Junction as well... As I was not sure if I needed to turn left or not, I shouted to some body on the bank. When she confirmed that I had to go left,

You turned LEFT at Fradley? :lol:

Where are you now? Abbots Bromley? Uttoxeter? :lol:

I passed a boat at some point over this weekend, somewhere on the Coventry (sorry, can't remember what time or at which bridge etc) but as I passed, I did the usual nod and "ello" to the steerer... The reply was "are you Liam?"

I hate it when this happens because I go into the whole "who's this" mode.... sorry I didn't catch your name first time round... thought you said Victor! It was only as I was rounding the next bend that I figured out you'd shouted Luctor.

Good boat you have there, certainly a bit of a project. Good luck mate!

Had to smile as that bought back memories for me I remember when I first started and it was a January passing the same yard with the same problem the wind was very strong I also needed diesel I must have bumped off every boat in the yard when I had dieseled up I was advised it might be better if I waited until the wind died down before I moved off again, I was there for 2 days thinking what have I let myself in for with this boating lark. I think if someone had come along and offer to buy "Gemma Joy" at that stage I would have accepted anything around £10!!!

:o:lol:

I know what you mean. I had a day like that today. I am looking at the bigger picture ahead, but if I was doing this just for leisure, I might be tempted (but for a bit more than a tenner.. ).

You turned LEFT at Fradley? :lol:

Where are you now? Abbots Bromley? Uttoxeter? ;)

B):D

I could pretent that I came from the other way, but would entail having gone the wrong way, and turned around... :lol: . no, off course I meant right..

;)

I passed a boat at some point over this weekend, somewhere on the Coventry (sorry, can't remember what time or at which bridge etc) but as I passed, I did the usual nod and "ello" to the steerer... The reply was "are you Liam?"

I hate it when this happens because I go into the whole "who's this" mode.... sorry I didn't catch your name first time round... thought you said Victor! It was only as I was rounding the next bend that I figured out you'd shouted Luctor.

Good boat you have there, certainly a bit of a project. Good luck mate!

Yes, nice to have met at least one other boater who I recognised. I'm sure I've passed a few more, and will more still.

And thanks for not mentioning the rather ungainly passing manouvrre which I executed. The willows on that stretch are something else. At least I got going again without having to reverse... :lol:

The boat is certainly a project. The top (the part with the tarpaulins over it) is coming off, and than I'll put a new bulkhead in to create a 14' cabin in front of the engine room.

Yeah.

I hope... :lol:

So, day three, and all is well.

I hope.

Today I set off bright and early, and was making good progress. I shot through the Atherstone locks (thanks to the help of a pretty girl from the following boat), having a number of boats coming down did help, as did Richard's (RLWP) tip on who to operate a lock single handed. By 'eck, tis true. You stick the nose into the lock, and they even provide a landing and steps right by the entrance, for the purpose... Although as I still have the cabin top, I found it easier to climb straight onto the lock side.

But after Atherstone I hit some more bad winds, and I may have just pushed the engine a bit too hard, as she overheated on me. A tricky stop in a most unsuitable spot, saw me managing to get to the bank and stop and secure the boat using some 'no fishing' marker posts. Don't tell BW.. :lol: . Of course, this stretch of bank is so badly crumbled, there was not enough bank between the path and the canal to hammer in a few pins.. So I marked my lines with my high viz coat, and waited for the engine to cool down. I did keep an eye out for walkers/cyclist, to warn them and explain.

Ticking over again, I carried on, and managed to moor up just past Brinklow.

So off we go tomorrow, as near as I can get to Fenny Compton.

night night

I am loving your daily diary. Looking forward to giving you a wave once you get to the K&A we are at All Cannings at the moment. But moving on a bit tomorrow. Enjoy your journey

Val

I think I've spotted your boat moored at the pub at Horton, a few weeks ago? Hard to be sure, as I pass over the bridge (Horton and All Cannings) every night between 17.45 and 18.00 or so. but being in a truck I don't get to stop.

I'll keep an eye out for you when I get down the K&A.

Yes, nice to have met at least one other boater who I recognised. I'm sure I've passed a few more, and will more still.

And thanks for not mentioning the rather ungainly passing manouvrre which I executed. The willows on that stretch are something else. At least I got going again without having to reverse... :lol:

Oh yes, that lol... had me going for a minute when I came round the bend and saw you hogging the rather narrow channel... and then I saw you going backwards it make me go "hmm"... still at least we managed, good sport!