Stourport Ring Advice

Edmontonian

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

First of all, thanks a million for providing such a fantastic forum - I've learned so much from reading this over the past year or so. I'm hoping that a few of you can spare some time to give me some advice.

I’ll be doing the Stourport Ring in late July with 4 friends, hiring from just north of Tardebigge and heading anti-clockwise (we’re meeting people in Birmingham on the first night). I also did the same ring 6 years ago with a different set of friends, and we had a superb time (and found it fairly easy going, as we’re all quite fit and active).

I was wondering what people’s views are regarding the pros and cons of going either via Wolverhampton / Audersley, or via Netherton / Dudley / Stourbridge. Last time we went via Audersley, as we wanted to see The Bratch and do the slightly longer route. This time, I’d like to go via the Dudley, because it’s something different for me, but if people think that the Audersley route is better (in terms of scenary / interesting canals / history / pubs / anything else), then I’d be happy doing that again, given that none of the friends I’m going with this time have done either route.

I have the Pearson’s Stourport Ring guide, and whilst it’s an excellent read, it doesn’t really go into the pros and cons of one route vs. the other. Any advice that you guys in the know can offer would be much appreciated.

Alan

No water problems for us 2 weeks ago - There are lots of notices issued by BW regarding limited lock opening times over parts of the BCN because of the Chasewater Reservoir works but none of them affected us.

My opinion, worth nothing, is that the Wolverhampton 21 isn't a very nice flight and as you've already done it, I'd strongly suggest the alternative. Were you thinking of going through Dudley Tunnel? No engines are allowed through it and it has a very low roof, there being a height guage before you go in. You are unlikely to get under it in a hire boat and you have to book to leg through. It's a non-starter.

On the other hand, the Netherton Tunnel route is fine. Big bore wide enough for passing boats and it has tow paths either side, so not at all claustrophobic, tho' a bit drippy! There's plenty of interest on the Dudley No2, Dudley No1 and Stourbridge canals. If you go up the Leys Branch (dead end but interesting), it's v shallow, especially into the Stourbridge Extension Canal and stirring up the mud there produced the most hideous smell this side of British Cellophane (and probably the same gases involved), I guess a reminder of the gas works that used to be alongside there.

Surprisingly pisturesque throughout considering it's mostly residential these days and there'll be few other boats around.

You can use the time saved by visiting Merry Hill Shoppping Centre! Good moorings there, surprise surprise.

Nothing wrong with the Wolverhampton 21 and then the Staffs & Worcs is a delightful canal. Well worth visiting Wightwick Manor. Against that the canal round Dudley is very pleasant and you can go upto Hawne Basin and back as pleaseant diversion but beware Gosty Hill tunnel is very low. The Delph locks are a delight, and the Stourbridge 16 interesting - so you have to take your pick

Thanks very much for the feedback everyone - I think I'm already hooked, this will be my 6th holiday, and I hope to own one day in the distant future when other commitments let me. I just hope my friends enjoy it as much as I do...

From what I've read, I like the sound of the Dudley / Stourbridge route, it sounds like there's enough to keep us interested, and having done the Wolverhampton route before, it will be nice for me to cover some new ground. We weren't looking at going through the Dudley Tunnel as I suspect you'd be right about height, and I'm pretty sure our hire company would allow us through - that said, I would love to do it one day.

Has anyone familiar with the area got any dos/don'ts for overnight mooring / pub stops? We'd be setting off from the Gas Street Basin area with a fairly early start, so we should be able to reach most parts of the Dudley / Stourbridge that day.

Cheers

Alan

When mooring in Birmingham Gas Street basin can be noisy at night due to pubs so go just round the corner on to the oozells steet loop at the Brindly place 48 hr moorings which are much quieter and yet stii 2 minutes from all the restaurants and Broad Street.

Next mooring would be the water front at Merry Hill again can be noisy but safe Aim to do the beautifull Delph and the Stourbridge 16 the next day then moor at Stew Pony or further on at Kinver.

We were told it wasent safe to moor between the Delph and the Stourbridge 16 but we did and didnt have any trouble although we were stoned once between these flights.

Have a nice one!

<snip>

We were told it wasent safe to moor between the Delph and the Stourbridge 16 but we did and didnt have any trouble although we were stoned once between these flights.

Have a nice one!

Is it wise to advertise your drug habits on a public forum? :lol:

Thanks nwhear - will take your advice about mooring at Oozells rather than Gas Street - I take it we shouldn't have too many problems finding a space if we get there early-ish?

If we moor at Merry Hill the following night, we hopefully should have time to explore some or all of the way down to Hawne on the Dudley No. 2, as I guess it isn't that long a cruise time-wise from Oozells to Merry Hill. We moored at Kinver on the S&W the last time I did the Stourport Ring, so I think we'll go for this again, as it was such a nice spot.

I'm really looking forward to this holiday now!

Thanks nwhear - will take your advice about mooring at Oozells rather than Gas Street - I take it we shouldn't have too many problems finding a space if we get there early-ish?

If we moor at Merry Hill the following night, we hopefully should have time to explore some or all of the way down to Hawne on the Dudley No. 2, as I guess it isn't that long a cruise time-wise from Oozells to Merry Hill. We moored at Kinver on the S&W the last time I did the Stourport Ring, so I think we'll go for this again, as it was such a nice spot.

I'm really looking forward to this holiday now!

We're doing the Stourport Ring next week. I have phoned and booked a mooring in the Oozells Street loop itself - it's a tad expensive (about £13), but at least I know that there will be somewhere to moor and that it will be safe. www.sherbornewharf.co.uk

I'm also planning on mooring at Merry Hill as I'm told that is a safe spot. If you have any questions after next week - just ask

Richard

I'd say that, much as Aldersley and the Bratch will bear Repetition, if you haven't done the Stourbridge route go that way. It's always a dilemma advising people who've done neither!

Shame to hear that Windmill End has had problems as it's a great place to stop, one of a few places where I've stopped for a whole day (2 nights). Even if you don't stop overnight, back into the Boshboil Arm, have a walk round the now discontinuous old loop and up to Cobbs Engine House.

As this route is shorter you should have time to divert up to Hawne Basin, Gosty Hill tunnel is in stark comparison to Netherton!

Also, go down the Stourbridge Arm, and if you like your real ale, borrow a copy of the Good Beer Guide as Strourbridge has some cracking real ale pubs

Other diversions that are a bit of a hoot are up to Titford Pools (if it's open) and doing a loop the loop over and under Tividale Aqueduct

We're doing the Stourport Ring next week. I have phoned and booked a mooring in the Oozells Street loop itself - it's a tad expensive (about £13), but at least I know that there will be somewhere to moor and that it will be safe. www.sherbornewharf.co.uk

I'm also planning on mooring at Merry Hill as I'm told that is a safe spot. If you have any questions after next week - just ask

Richard

Merry Hill safe, if noisy. And central Bham is very very rarely full and *is* safe - the public moorings are just as good as Sherbourne's. Quiet ones are on the loop up to Sherbourne, or the ones outside the NIA are fine. Never had a problem there in 10 years other than once (during a whole winter moored on the main line) having my ropes removed, and the expected noise at times.

Don't race through Birmingham - it has a great centre to linger a wee while in

Even if you don't stop overnight, back into the Boshboil Arm, have a walk round the now discontinuous old loop and up to Cobbs Engine House.

As this route is shorter you should have time to divert up to Hawne Basin, Gosty Hill tunnel is in stark comparison to Netherton!

Thanks for all the advice... we'll try to fit all of this in - we've only got the boat for a week, and whilst we don't want to rush around like lunatics, I would like to fit in as much as possible, and see as much as we can. From what everyone has said, we should have more time going via the Stourbridge/Dudley route, and we did the ring fairly comfortably in a week via Wolverhampton last time. Seems that everyone on here has helped me make my mind up - barring closures, we're going to go via Stourbridge/Dudley :lol:

Also, go down the Stourbridge Arm, and if you like your real ale, borrow a copy of the Good Beer Guide as Strourbridge has some cracking real ale pubs

That sounds like an excellent plan - I'll pack my copy of the GBG!

Other diversions that are a bit of a hoot are up to Titford Pools (if it's open) and doing a loop the loop over and under Tividale Aqueduct

I'm very very tempted to try to go up to Titford Pools now, although from what I've read, I gather that it's quite an adventure - the last thing I want is to get stuck / put the rest of my crew off canals for life!

Thanks for all the advice... we'll try to fit all of this in - we've only got the boat for a week, and whilst we don't want to rush around like lunatics, I would like to fit in as much as possible, and see as much as we can. From what everyone has said, we should have more time going via the Stourbridge/Dudley route, and we did the ring fairly comfortably in a week via Wolverhampton last time. Seems that everyone on here has helped me make my mind up - barring closures, we're going to go via Stourbridge/Dudley :lol:

That sounds like an excellent plan - I'll pack my copy of the GBG!

I'm very very tempted to try to go up to Titford Pools now, although from what I've read, I gather that it's quite an adventure - the last thing I want is to get stuck / put the rest of my crew off canals for life!

There was an impenetrable reef of trollies under the motorway last time I was up at Titford pools

Richard

There was an impenetrable reef of trollies under the motorway last time I was up at Titford pools

Richard

If you posted that in the unStable Bar heaven knows what would follow!

For the record, I've never tried to get under the motorway there, just got to the junction at the start of the pools and turned round

If you posted that in the unStable Bar heaven knows what would follow!

For the record, I've never tried to get under the motorway there, just got to the junction at the start of the pools and turned round

Stort_Mark was feeling adventurous, and as it wasn't my boat, I agreed with him

Richard

OK, so I reckon if we get an early enough start, if people are feeling adventurous and if BW / water levels allow us, we'll have a go at getting up to Titford (although certainly not as far as going under the M5!). That said, there's a fairly good chance that the night before will be a heavy one, and we'll not set off in time to tackle it... :lol:

Thanks again to everyone for their replies.

Hi Everyone,

First of all, thanks a million for providing such a fantastic forum - I've learned so much from reading this over the past year or so. I'm hoping that a few of you can spare some time to give me some advice.

I’ll be doing the Stourport Ring in late July with 4 friends, hiring from just north of Tardebigge and heading anti-clockwise (we’re meeting people in Birmingham on the first night). I also did the same ring 6 years ago with a different set of friends, and we had a superb time (and found it fairly easy going, as we’re all quite fit and active).

I was wondering what people’s views are regarding the pros and cons of going either via Wolverhampton / Audersley, or via Netherton / Dudley / Stourbridge. Last time we went via Audersley, as we wanted to see The Bratch and do the slightly longer route. This time, I’d like to go via the Dudley, because it’s something different for me, but if people think that the Audersley route is better (in terms of scenary / interesting canals / history / pubs / anything else), then I’d be happy doing that again, given that none of the friends I’m going with this time have done either route.

I have the Pearson’s Stourport Ring guide, and whilst it’s an excellent read, it doesn’t really go into the pros and cons of one route vs. the other. Any advice that you guys in the know can offer would be much appreciated.

Alan

:lol: :lol: :lol: Alan,

You asked all the questions I was going to ask! Thanks for that as the replies you had were very informative.

I too am looking at stopping in Birmingham at a safe location. Have you stopped at the Tipton Living Museum moorings! Are they safe? and can you turn a boat around at the moorings or will I have to do that at Tipton Junction & go astern to the visitor mooring area.

We are travelling anti-clockwise any suggestions for safe moorings soon after Audersley, preferably with a good pub.

Thanks,

Peter (Taff)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Alan,

You asked all the questions I was going to ask! Thanks for that as the replies you had were very informative.

I too am looking at stopping in Birmingham at a safe location. Have you stopped at the Tipton Living Museum moorings! Are they safe? and can you turn a boat around at the moorings or will I have to do that at Tipton Junction & go astern to the visitor mooring area.

We are travelling anti-clockwise any suggestions for safe moorings soon after Audersley, preferably with a good pub.

Thanks,

Peter (Taff)

The moorings at The Black Country Museum Tipton are very good and safe, moor the museum side where you need a BW key to open a gate if you want to do shopping/pub etc.

Yes you can turn there as well.

:lol:

Edited by Laurie.Booth

The moorings at The Black Country Museum Tipton are very good and safe, moor the museum side where you need a BW key to open a gate if you want to do shopping/pub etc.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks Laurie much appreciated.

Peter (Taff)

I often stop at Merry Hell and there is a Wetherspoons pub there.

Unfortunately there is also a much noisier pub there as well, so best to carry on a couple of hundred metres to the embankment overlooking Sainsbury's. And also much better to walk down to the Bull & Bladder (Batham's brewery tap) for a pint. Any of the locals will tell you how to get there!

Jim

Edited by Jim

Seconded. We had a very pleasant overnight stop there just a couple of weeks ago. We had a nice Chinese takeaway that was just 10 mins walk away too.