Leave Battleship Bob in peace, rowers are urged

Josher

Featured Posts

Something for everyone here - rowers, direct action from Bob and swan plus family to be evicted!

Cambridge News.

Ugh, it's got aspects of some of the worst bits of contemporary English discourse: class antagonism and mindless sentimentality about "cuddly" wildlife. It will take the wisdom of Solomon to sort it out.

MP.

Boater Steve Austin, who helped to round up the family in a pen each day along with Mr Middleton, said: “Mission accomplished. We started with three cygnets and we ended with three cygnets.”

Well, no wonder he's cross. Who'd want to be penned up with an aggressive swan and cygnets every day!

Richard

It's a swan - not an endangered species. There are some wildlife lovers out there who need to get a grip on reality, IMO.

I thought the point was that it was an endangering species, he has a reputation for biting boaters

Richard

As someone who has been bitten several times by male Swans, I suspect that the reputation of this particular Swan is well earned.

Being bitten does not normally result in letting any blood, it is rather more likey to cause a graze. IThe sensation is similar to having your finger (or toe!!) clamped between two Engineer's Rasps and then pulling them off.

Edited by David Schweizer

• 4 months later...

Update from the Court here Cambridge News

'Battleship Bob' in hot water over river clash

A furious houseboat owner known as Battleship Bob challenged a rower to a “cage fight” during a clash on the River Cam, a court heard.

Robin Middleton was told his angry response to a rowing crew’s attempt to overtake him was “totally unacceptable” and was found guilty of a public order offence at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court.

The incident happened on June 30 – in the lead-up to the 2010 town bumps competition in July.

The bench heard the 55-year-old had been outside the Plough pub in Fen Ditton with his son Jay – on a catamaran powered by sail marked with a skull and crossbones – when they were passed by a rowing eight from the Cantabrigian Rowing Club.

The rowers had been forced to slow their journey towards Bait’s Bite Lock and one of them, Nick Siragher, questioned the positioning of the catamaran, which he said was in the middle of the river.

In response, Middleton swore and challenged Mr Siragher to a “cage fight” – before he jumped into the river, clambered onto the bank and ran along it, leapt back into the water and grabbed the side of the boat. He then continued the tirade.

The altercation came at the end of a string of quarrels between Middleton, who lives on a barge moored in Fen Ditton, and rowers.

These centred on damage to his boat, and the threat to animals – notably the aggressive swan known as Mr Asbo – from oars and sterns.

Middleton claimed his actions were lawful because Mr Siragher had been abusive towards his son, who is 25.

But magistrates disagreed, and convicted Middleton of using threatening, abusive and insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause harassment or distress.

Chairman of the bench Ian Kerr said: “Whilst we are aware of the friction that exists between yourself and rowers, and we accept the causes are not one-sided, we find your behaviour was not reasonable – it was totally unacceptable.”

Mr Siragher said the argument happened on a stretch of the river where boats are meant to cross sides, and accused Middleton of blocking the boats’ path.

He said he felt “incredibly threatened” by the “intimidating” episode.

Middleton said he was crossing the river, adding that the rowers should not have tried to overtake because it was on a bend and sail has right of way on the water. He said he had simply been defending his son against abuse.

Sentencing was adjourned until next Thursday.

Update from the Court here Cambridge News

'Battleship Bob' in hot water over river clash

A furious houseboat owner known as Battleship Bob challenged a rower to a “cage fight” during a clash on the River Cam, a court heard.

Robin Middleton was told his angry response to a rowing crew’s attempt to overtake him was “totally unacceptable” and was found guilty of a public order offence at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court.

The incident happened on June 30 – in the lead-up to the 2010 town bumps competition in July.

The bench heard the 55-year-old had been outside the Plough pub in Fen Ditton with his son Jay – on a catamaran powered by sail marked with a skull and crossbones – when they were passed by a rowing eight from the Cantabrigian Rowing Club.

The rowers had been forced to slow their journey towards Bait’s Bite Lock and one of them, Nick Siragher, questioned the positioning of the catamaran, which he said was in the middle of the river.

In response, Middleton swore and challenged Mr Siragher to a “cage fight” – before he jumped into the river, clambered onto the bank and ran along it, leapt back into the water and grabbed the side of the boat. He then continued the tirade.

The altercation came at the end of a string of quarrels between Middleton, who lives on a barge moored in Fen Ditton, and rowers.

These centred on damage to his boat, and the threat to animals – notably the aggressive swan known as Mr Asbo – from oars and sterns.

Middleton claimed his actions were lawful because Mr Siragher had been abusive towards his son, who is 25.

But magistrates disagreed, and convicted Middleton of using threatening, abusive and insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause harassment or distress.

Chairman of the bench Ian Kerr said: “Whilst we are aware of the friction that exists between yourself and rowers, and we accept the causes are not one-sided, we find your behaviour was not reasonable – it was totally unacceptable.”

Mr Siragher said the argument happened on a stretch of the river where boats are meant to cross sides, and accused Middleton of blocking the boats’ path.

He said he felt “incredibly threatened” by the “intimidating” episode.

Middleton said he was crossing the river, adding that the rowers should not have tried to overtake because it was on a bend and sail has right of way on the water. He said he had simply been defending his son against abuse.

Sentencing was adjourned until next Thursday.

Sounds like he should change his name to "Barmy Battleship Bob" His 25 year old son is I'm sure more than capable of taking a bit if abuse (presume verbal) if not it's time he learnt. As for getting so upset by remarks from rowers/yachties/other boaters etc etc, Bob should just learn to cock a deaf'un and just chill a bit.

Phil

A swan bite is no big deal. I have been bitten loads of times when making them work for their bread.

Sure its a bit of a shock the first time, but I have never even had a graze.

Biggles

It's more a rasp than a bite.

As for Cambridge rowers when I visited some years back the locky nearest to town said a lot of them were real pigs ordering around and that there should be a season on them when metal boats like our could cut their boats in half and sink 'em. Having later met some of these ergs we tended to agree. We have met rowers all over the canal system but, with the exception of one eight who were obviously old rowers enjoying themselves we found the rest on the Camb an absolute shower!

Coming down the Lea last week on a Sunday, all the boats out, coxed two's, fours and a couple of single coxless, waved me over to the online moorings side above Stonebridge(?) Marina, where I was happy to tootle down as slowly and close to the boats as I could, giving them all ample space to row away. As I came up near the boat house, a single sculler launched himself into mid river and proceeded to try to turn, eventually ending up very close to my (1mph )front end. As I came level, he shouted, "you should be over that side you B%st%^d" in a very posh voice. I responded, "you had better explain that to your chums then"pointing to all the rowers who were coming in on the west side towards the boathouse (my daughet was stood next to me, hence the polite response). :P

Coming down the Lea last week on a Sunday, all the boats out, coxed two's, fours and a couple of single coxless, waved me over to the online moorings side above Stonebridge(?) Marina, where I was happy to tootle down as slowly and close to the boats as I could, giving them all ample space to row away. As I came up near the boat house, a single sculler launched himself into mid river and proceeded to try to turn, eventually ending up very close to my (1mph )front end. As I came level, he shouted, "you should be over that side you B%st%^d" in a very posh voice. I responded, "you had better explain that to your chums then"pointing to all the rowers who were coming in on the west side towards the boathouse (my daughet was stood next to me, hence the polite response). :P

There is always one, had similar experience on the Bure with a yachtie. boats coming upstream prevented me passing as he was short tacking down centre of the river, forcing hire boats dangerously close to shoals at St Bennets, I gave him a single blast (I am turning left) and went for it, his response was unprintable,suggesting I should study navigation as he had right of way, I told him simply to learn his sound signals, he could have beat straight down the river but was just being bloody minded.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Something for everyone here - rowers, direct action from Bob and swan plus family to be evicted!

Cambridge News.

Bit of the local PoV...

As far as I'm concerned, it's six of one and half a dozen of t'other. Yes, I'm a rower, and the sport does occasionally get deservedly bad press. It's a different use of the waterways- using them as a racetrack- hence the conflict with those who use it in a different way. Some people, both rowers and boaters, can be agressive, stupid idiots, and put everyones' backs up.

The thing is, there's something like 20-25% of all the UK's rowers on the Cam- something like 4000 people- on a stretch of water that's 5200 metres long, of which 2600m is traverseable at high speed. Bob happens to live on that 2600m stretch- as does the swan. The river is, at times, horribly congested.

But, having said that, Bob isn't exactly the most level-headed of boaters. He has a reputation for taking his boat out during races, and has been prosecuted for physically blocking the river during a race, for threatening rowers with a crossbow I believe, and for tipping in a sculler (who had, admittedly, been acting like a pompous wazzock) and then jumping in after him, attacking him in the river.

Mr. ASBO (the name coined by a boating friend) was just the latest in a long line of causes that he can take up.

Incidentally, boaters will be pleased to know that Mr. ASBO has clamed down considerably since July- he's not attacked me, or my boat, for a month or two after his cygnets have grown up.

Just for the record ...

‘Battleship Bob’ in court for 'cage fight' challenge Cambridge News

The houseboat owner known as Battleship Bob, who challenged a rower to a ‘cage fight’ during a clash on the River Cam, has been ordered to do unpaid work. The wildlife lover – whose real name is Robin Middleton – appeared at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court for sentencing after he was previously found guilty of a public order offence.

As the News reported, the altercation happened on June 30, in the run-up to the 2010 Town Bumps competition.

Middleton, 55, was outside the Plough pub in Fen Ditton with his son Jay, on a catamaran powered by a sail marked with a skull and crossbones, when they were passed by an eight from the Cantabrigian Rowing Club. The crew had been forced to slow its journey towards Baits Bite Lock and one of them, Nick Siragher, questioned the positioning of the catamaran, which he said was in the middle of the river. In response, Middleton swore and challenged Mr Siragher to a “cage fight” – before he jumped into the river, clambered onto the bank and ran along it, leapt back into the water and grabbed the side of the boat. He then continued the tirade.

At the latest hearing, Jeff Lewis, mitigating, said the outburst came at the end of a string of quarrels between Middleton, who lives on a barge moored in Fen Ditton, and rowers. These centred on damage to his boat, and the threat to animals – notably the aggressive swan known as Mr Asbo – from oars and sterns. Mr Lewis said: “Mr Middleton’s behaviour was the result of the cumulative ‘dripping tap’ effect of a lot of unwarranted and loutish behaviour directed towards him. “Requests have been made in the past for rowers to leave Battleship Bob alone.”

Chairman of the bench Paul Heavens ordered Middleton to do 40 hours of unpaid work, and to pay costs of £200. He said: “It is not acceptable to take things to the level that you took them. “There are occasions when you are going to have to bite your lip and accept some of this provocation.”

• 1 month later...

Postscript ...

Snapshot2010-12-3109-50-37.jpg

‘Mr Asbo’ returns to river after recovery from attack Cambridge News 31/12/2010 08:12

A swan known as Mr Asbo is now home after surviving an apparent animal attack. The bird, which lives on the River Cam, was left fighting for his life earlier this month after being seriously injured during the attack. Mr Asbo suffered puncture wounds to the neck and was left covered in blood. His fate remains in the hands of river authorities, who may decide to move him next month. Mr Asbo has triggered controversy in Cambridge, with rowers saying he is a menace while his fans say he has the greater right to use the river. Mr Asbo has been known to attack rowers in the run-up to the annual Bumps. The bird was treated at the Maple Cottage Village Vet in Milton and was back in the arms of its protector, barge owner Bob Middleton, who is known as ‘Battleship Bob’. He said: “I think the swan was deliberately attacked. But my baby is back now and I am delighted. I am going to have to find a way to protect him. “I may have to build him a bunker so that he can have some cover. I am really worried something like this will happen again. It’s disgusting. He was in a very bad way.” At first it was thought the bird could have been shot or attacked with a crossbow, but a spokeswoman for the surgery said no pellets were found. Mr Asbo did have puncture wounds similar to those inflicted by animal teeth. The vet took X-ray images of his injuries and relieved his pain. Mr Middleton, who calls the swan Big Foot, said he was ‘‘devastated” by the incident. The Conservators of the River Cam, the river’s navigation authority, stopped short of sanctioning Mr Asbo’s removal when they met in July but are due to consider Mr Asbo’s fate at their January meeting.

• 1 month later...

Decision made ...

Mr. ASBO's swan song

Terrorist swan, notorious for harrassing rowers, may be relocated by the Cam Conservancy agency

Friday 18th February 2011, 13:01 GMT Varsity

The Cam Conservancy, the group responsible for the maintenance of the River Cam, has lodged a request to have Cambridge’s most notorious swan moved.

The swan, known as both ‘Mr. Asbo’ and ‘Stalin’ is famed for attacking rowers, canoeists and even motorboats on the river. The Cam Conservancy deputy manager, Jonathon Wakefield, has said that the swan poses as a very real threat ."There is a concern that one day a rower could capsize and it might even cause a fatality".

This aggression has been attributed to anxiety on the bird’s part and, following its treatment by the RSPCA after a dog attacked it last year, it is thought that the bird itself would greatly benefit from a more secluded area. Swans are the technical property of the Queen, however, when she declines ownership, the right to decide an individual bird’s future becomes the duty of ’Natural England’.

A spokeswoman for Natural England said: "If there is no reasonable alternative, we are prepared to sanction the relocation of the swan to another suitable site."

• 6 months later...

So what happens next?

'Battleship Bob' ordered to pay £7,000 after feud with River Cam rowers Cambridge News Published: 20/08/2011

A barge owner has been ordered to pay almost £7,000 in court costs after admitting to “unsociable behaviour” on the River Cam. Robin Middleton – known as Battleship Bob – pleaded guilty at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court to obstructing a boat race on June 9, 2010, and using abusive and indecent language towards another river user on November 26, in contravention of by-laws brought in by the Conservators of the River Cam. Middleton claimed he was protecting swans, like the famous Mr Asbo, from rowers. The 55-year-old also was found to have broken a conditional discharge from February, 2010, in which he pleaded guilty to the same two charges. Now he has been ordered by District Judge Ken Sheraton to pay costs within three months for both sets of proceedings.

The court heard that in June, Middleton blocked the Cam with his 72ft boat for around three hours in what the defendant described as a “peaceful protest” against rowers endangering swans during the Cambridge University May Bumps. Michael Judkins, prosecuting on behalf of the conservators, said the defendant’s actions had severely inconvenienced the public and other river users. He said: “He told the police when they arrived he was doing it to protect two swans and their cygnets and that his intention was to disrupt the Bumps.” Middleton eventually moved his barge after he was instructed to do so by river manager Dr Philippa Noon.

Jeff Lewis, mitigating, said his client had been assaulted the night before by rowers who had pushed him in the river. The second offence in November arose after Middleton’s boat collided with a crew of female students and an argument ensued over who was at fault. Mr Judkins said rowing coach James Fowler asked why Middleton – who lives on his boat in Fen Ditton – took so long to stop but was greeted with abusive language. Two further charges against Middleton – another abusive language count and a charge of unsafe navigation – were withdrawn. Sentencing, District Judge Sheraton said Middleton’s late guilty pleas to both offences had led to the court increasing costs to £6,871.65 which Middleton must now pay, as well as £75 for each of four convictions. The judge condemned Middleton’s “unsociable” attitude toward other river users.

Middleton told the News that he would appeal, adding: “I haven’t got the money and only receive £90 in benefits a week. I have no idea where I would get it from.” Mr Lewis said the action could make his client homeless. Commenting after the sentencing, Dr Noon said: “We are pleased to have secured this conviction."