Bolinder boats extant

zenataomm

Featured Posts

• 4 weeks later...

What happened to peacocks original bolinder? I know at least 1 part is on Dane. Only reason I ask is sence working its only had 2 owners. And must be one of the most standard non rebuild boats around?

PEACOCK was originally fitted with a Bolinder 15hp model "E". Bolinder updated these engines first with the "NE" and later the "BM". F.M.C. Ltd. company records state that all of these earlier "E" engines were replaced with later "BM" engines between September 1929 and May 1935, with PEACOCK being listed as January 1934 with the change taking place at the company's Saltley dock.

PEACOCK's last owner (16 October 1953 to 27 December 1992) carried out a comprehensive but sympathetic rebuild of this boat which included replacing the 1934 Bolinder with a similar one.

• 3 months later...

PEACOCK was originally fitted with a Bolinder 15hp model "E". Bolinder updated these engines first with the "NE" and later the "BM". F.M.C. Ltd. company records state that all of these earlier "E" engines were replaced with later "BM" engines between September 1929 and May 1935, with PEACOCK being listed as January 1934 with the change taking place at the company's Saltley dock.

PEACOCK's last owner (16 October 1953 to 27 December 1992) carried out a comprehensive but sympathetic rebuild of this boat which included replacing the 1934 Bolinder with a similar one.

Dont sopose anyone has the bolinder numbers on a list of what numbers went in what boats so I can identify a bolinder by its number as to what boat it was in originally?

• 4 months later...

Indeed, but it's a rather different (more modern?) animal from what was originally fitted.

Smaller, roughly twice the rpm, not direct reversing, and a variable fuel governor instead of the hit-and-miss governor of the older designs.

Tim

This W7 was built in 1922 so I'd not say its more modern

The little dutch push tugs `opduers` or something like that are curious little boats, made for shoving big engineless boats around harbours etc. I have yet to see one for sale that would fit a narrow lock but they are a piece of history and would certainly pull the skin off a rice pudding and a good bit more as well, they were a way of floating a big heavy old engine and propeller and often have fascinating machinery.

Richard Cooper

The little dutch push tugs `opduers` or something like that are curious little boats, made for shoving big engineless boats around harbours etc. I have yet to see one for sale that would fit a narrow lock but they are a piece of history and would certainly pull the skin off a rice pudding and a good bit more as well, they were a way of floating a big heavy old engine and propeller and often have fascinating machinery.

Richard Cooper

Pretty good only a "w" missing, in future write "opduwer", they are great little boats.

Cheers,

Peter.

/// unfortunately Dan has edited the video removing the chaos caused by the cream coloured boat just disappearing to the left...

Very sadly, it was never recorded!

Its also a great pity my camera at the time filmed in such low resolution, how times have changed.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be late in to this thread. Only just seen it. I'm pretty sure that we bumped into Barry (the Bingley 5 Rise locky) many years ago with a Bolinder in his (then) boat Adder. I don't think he still owns the boat but it would be interesting to know if it is still around with that engine.

Roger

Boat still around has a HRW2 in now and the Bolinders in ex FMC Clover

Gorse did not get a Bolinder it ended up in Ling :-p http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?u=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DrusRiaZSeWc%26feature%3Dshare&a=5gFZAZ1w3GC7rOdq4hSHHw

The Pinnocks bought Adder off Sparky Williams so that Michael Pinnock Snr and family could go "up Norf" and do the L&L etc as his other boat is a full length Northwich Trader. The engines were changed just before this years National, all of the above from the horses mouth at this sorry event.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

• 4 months later...

Dont wanna sound thick or stupid but to get a bolinder out wouldnt you need a crane as peacocks cabin is original with only the outer cabin skin replaced im confused how did he get it out as there is no holes in the roof? I maybe getting info miles wrong but if he went to the effort of trying to keep the engine in when he bought the boat I cant see him just replacing it. As so much is still there. Just a question just trying to get info right.

Dont wanna sound thick or stupid but to get a bolinder out wouldnt you need a crane as peacocks cabin is original with only the outer cabin skin replaced im confused how did he get it out as there is no holes in the roof? I maybe getting info miles wrong but if he went to the effort of trying to keep the engine in when he bought the boat I cant see him just replacing it. As so much is still there. Just a question just trying to get info right.

The detail I wrote in #130 of this thread is based upon a combination of documented evidence and the words of John Hemelryk in October 1973. Mr Hemelryk even stated which boat the current Bolinder BM 15hp came out of - and the history all fits perfectly whether you like it or not.

Just for the record I have the engine serial number of the Bolinder BM 15hp fitted into PEACOCK by F.M.C. Ltd. in 1934, and this engine was still in place in June 1961.

If you wish to question the integrity of my research further perhaps you might be good enough to identify yourself properly so I know who I am communicating with. My name is available for everybody to see - and on this occasion I am happy to be considered imperious.

Edited by pete harrison

Please dont get me wrong I wasnt questioning the info I was just curious as from my little understanding as to how the engine was changed thats all. I dont have any of the facts so can only go on the info I can see (e.g. no hole in the roof) I never got chance to meet john as I was only young.

Im just trying to peace all the info so I can get it right and then when others ask im not giving people wrong info.

As im planning on being envolved with the boat for a long time and intended doing a write up about the boat for people to read I want to be 100% on my information.

If you would be willing can you please inform me of the 1934 bolinder number and what boat the replacement came from I do have the current bolinder number.

There was ment to be no offence given in my last post I just know how heavy bolinders are a am confused as to the effort it must have taken. If there was offence taken then my apologies.

James margrave

The joy of a Bolinder is that it will come out through the engine 'ole doors, piece by piece. (If you are feeling strong!)

Tim

Ive seen my dad struggle to take the piston out wouldnt like to even attempt the block as I have removed the clutch on one and that wasnt exactly light.

I know they came apart just didnt realise it could all come out the door being man handled.

Please dont get me wrong I wasnt questioning the info I was just curious as from my little understanding as to how the engine was changed thats all. I dont have any of the facts so can only go on the info I can see (e.g. no hole in the roof) I never got chance to meet john as I was only young.

Im just trying to peace all the info so I can get it right and then when others ask im not giving people wrong info.

As im planning on being envolved with the boat for a long time and intended doing a write up about the boat for people to read I want to be 100% on my information.

If you would be willing can you please inform me of the 1934 bolinder number and what boat the replacement came from I do have the current bolinder number.

There was ment to be no offence given in my last post I just know how heavy bolinders are a am confused as to the effort it must have taken. If there was offence taken then my apologies.

James margrave

Ive seen my dad struggle to take the piston out wouldnt like to even attempt the block as I have removed the clutch on one and that wasnt exactly light.

I know they came apart just didnt realise it could all come out the door being man handled.

Yes, but it does take two men or some sort of hoist to cope with the cylinder casting.

I can just lift one off the floor, but that's my limit. No chance of carrying it or lifting it to any height.

Most of the rest can be managed by one strong person.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Lernt something new. As said I knew they came apart but never had to nore did dad even when we cleaned ours or had to repair it the block was never lifted from the bed. I just assumed the only way was threw the roof.