Bolinder boats extant

zenataomm

Featured Posts

Yes, that sounds about right.

Going back to George, it would appear from the George & Mary booklet, that a 22hp Kromhout was fitted from new, unless that was the intention but a Bolinder was fitted instead. Apparently in deep water, nothing much could catch it.

Derek

Yes, that sounds about right.

Going back to George, it would appear from the George & Mary booklet, that a 22hp Kromhout was fitted from new, unless that was the intention but a Bolinder was fitted instead. Apparently in deep water, nothing much could catch it.

Derek

I don't know whether all the Royalty boats were fitted with Kromhouts originally, but the William was another.

Tim

I may be wrong, but didn't the Bolinder that went into JAGUAR get put in while Alan Braby owned it? The likes of Pete Thompson or maybe John Pattle might know its previous moves.

Derek

What year was the Bolinder fitted in JAGUAR?, In the late 60`s with Nic Hill owning it, the engine was not single cyl. LISTER H, JP, or NATIONAL, never got to look in the engine`ole we always seemed to be on the move at the times we met

No, as Zenataomm says a few posts back, JAGUAR had a Lister HA2 when Alan Braby took it on, and it was he who had the Bolinder put in - sometime in the mid eighties and a short while before he sold up.

The engines of the four Yarwoods built Royalty motors were: Petter 18/21hp 450rpm engines for two of the four, one Kromhout 22hp 440rpm, and one 18/21hp 600rpm twin cylinder. What is not stated in the 'new' George & Mary booklet, is which motor got what. The four were; DUKE; VICTORIA; EDWARD; & WILLIAM. The other two motors were built by James Pollock Sons and Co. of Faversham and fitted with 20hp Bolinders; HENRY & PRINCE.

EDIT: Not forgetting the GEORGE of course!

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

I don't know whether all the Royalty boats were fitted with Kromhouts originally, but the William was another.

Tim

A combination of G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. / builders records confirm that:-

DUKE - Petter 'S' type - 18/21 hp

EDWARD - Petter 'S' type - 18/21 hp

GEORGE - Kromhout (M2 type ?) - 26hp (per article in a period magazine)

HENRY - Bolinder BM - 20hp

PRINCE - Bolinder BM - 20hp

VICTORIA - Kromhout M1 type - 20hp

WILLIAM - Kromhout M1 type - 18/20hp

What year was the Bolinder fitted in JAGUAR?, In the late 60`s with Nic Hill owning it, the engine was not single cyl. LISTER H, JP, or NATIONAL, never got to look in the engine`ole we always seemed to be on the move at the times we met

My records for JAGUAR' engine changes are:

05/1927 - Bolinder BM 15hp (new boat)

05/1956 - Lister FR3 27hp by 'British Waterways'

c1964 - Bolinder 15hp by Seymour-Roseblade (but JAGUAR owned by Nick Hill)

c1965 - Lister HA2 by Seymour-Roseblade (but JAGUAR owned by Nick Hill)

c1983 - Bolinder BM 20hp by Alan Braby (Lister HA2 for sale by Alan Braby Summer 1983)

c1999 - Bolinder 15hp by Malcolm Burge

As usual I would be happy to be corrected on the above, especially if it gets rid of a 'circa' !

Aah! Thanks Pete. I'm now curious about the M2 type Kromhout. There is mention in the G & M of a twin cylinder, yet the GEORGE is stated as being fitted with a single cylinder which seems to have been supplied by Perman & Co. The phrase that raises a little question is: " Perman & Company had agreed to supply a single cylinder 22hp Kromhout . . " So, did they or didn't they? And if both WILLIAM and VICTORIA had Kromhout M1's, it leaves a question mark over the twin cylinder.

Pete, Does that period article on the GEORGE describe more of the engine detail?

Derek

PS: M1 start-up and run http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&gl=G...p;v=xyW0xAMXdu8 - effortless!

And an M2 - NOT a twin!

Edited by Derek R.

PS: M1 start-up and run http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&gl=G...p;v=xyW0xAMXdu8 - effortless!

He He.... that's my ugly mug effortlesly starting the Kromhout.

The M1 is 22hp and the M2 from memory is 30hp and from the measurments too big for any standard narrowboat engine room.

I understand that The George was fitted with a Kromhout M1 but it was subsequently replaced with the 20hp Bolinder. I think the wholes for the air start bottle fixings can be seen in George's engine room. Why or when the Bolinder was fitted is I think unknown but I think it was pretty early on.

The Kromhout's are a lovely engine. Very nice construction. I think the one in that video should be in a boat before long. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

John

• 1 year later...

Antartic has had 9hp bolinder replaced with jk3 lister

what engine is in Lamprey then?

It had an Armstrong at the end of its working days and for some time afterwards, I have no idea whether or not it still has.

Tim

It had an Armstrong at the end of its working days and for some time afterwards, I have no idea whether or not it still has.

Tim

Lister HA (I think) though it could be a different flavour of H series Lister last time I looked. Last week that is.

David

Tim

According to my records LAMPREY was refitted with a Lister HA2 by July 1962 (engine serial number dates this engine as 1959). This engine was subsequently replaced by the current Lister HR2 in early 1990. I have no record of an Armstrong (Parsons Merganser) having ever been in LAMPREY but I am happy to be corrected.

edit - it is interesting to read through the lists of boats powered by Bolinder semi-diesels as so few of those boats mentioned have remained Bolinder powered from new. Most of those boats listed have had other engines fitted throughout their lives only to have been re-fitted with a Bolinder semi-diesel in more recent times.

Edited by pete harrison

Which are those Pete?

narrow boats - CLENT, DANE, DRAGON, FERRET, GEORGE, PEACOCK, SPEY, STOUR, UMEA, WORCESTER - off the top of my head, so there are sure to be a few more - and CLENT, FERRET, GEORGE and PEACOCK are certainly not running with their original Bolinder :captain:

According to my records LAMPREY was refitted with a Lister HA2 by July 1962 (engine serial number dates this engine as 1959). This engine was subsequently replaced by the current Lister HR2 in early 1990. I have no record of an Armstrong (Parsons Merganser) having ever been in LAMPREY but I am happy to be corrected.

edit - it is interesting to read through the lists of boats powered by Bolinder semi-diesels as so few of those boats mentioned have remained Bolinder powered from new. Most of those boats listed have had other engines fitted throughout their lives only to have been re-fitted with a Bolinder semi-diesel in more recent times.

I'm quite willing to believe your records, I was just using my recollections from the days of the ACCCo., & my memory has always been fallible.

Many Bolinders were taken out because people realised that more modern engines had much to recommend them in terms of reliability and fuel economy, some have been reinstalled because (other) people appreciate their charms.

I remember Peter Froud scrapping about 9 tons of dismantled Bolinder which he had collected over the years, he didn't quite keep them for long enough!

Tim

narrow boats - CLENT, DANE, DRAGON, FERRET, GEORGE, PEACOCK, SPEY, STOUR, UMEA, WORCESTER - off the top of my head, so there are sure to be a few more - and CLENT, FERRET, GEORGE and PEACOCK are certainly not running with their original Bolinder :captain:

Surely George wasn't Bolinder powered from new anyway?

Tim

Tim

George was powered by a 22hp Kromhout according to The George and the Mary (I think it was), the Northwich Royalty motors had non-Bolinders engines also (2 had Petters and the other 2 had Kromhouts), and the Pollocks boats Bolinders - but I'm only getting the information off the web.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

I can not remember the boats name but if Lamprey was worked by a chap called Malcolm for Anderton CCCo on the silicon carbide run to Norbury in the late sixties then it was at that time fitted with an AS2 The boats on that run worked by Charlie Atkins[snr], Fred & Rose Gibbs, & Jack Tolley & Wife [Leah I think] & the single motor a Josher fish class steered by Malcolm

Tim

Sorry, my mistake. This is the problem doing things from memory rather than by reference. However GEORGE is on its second BOLINDER, its original being a Kromhout M2 26hp complete with a reverse box.

Edited by pete harrison

I can not remember the boats name but if Lamprey was worked by a chap called Malcolm for Anderton CCCo on the silicon carbide run to Norbury in the late sixties then it was at that time fitted with an AS2 The boats on that run worked by Charlie Atkins[snr], Fred & Rose Gibbs, & Jack Tolley & Wife [Leah I think] & the single motor a Josher fish class steered by Malcolm

Malcolm Edwards was the A.C.C.Co. steerer of TENCH (according to a previous thread on this Forum). TENCH was fitted with an AS2 (Parsons Merganser) by 'British Waterways' when it was part of their Northern carrying fleet.

Edited by pete harrison

Malcolm Edwards was the A.C.C.Co. Ltd. steerer of TENCH (according to a previous thread on this Forum). TENCH was fitted with an AS2 (Parsons Merganser) by 'British Waterways' when it was part of their Northern carrying fleet.

AFAIR John(ny) Anderson had the Lamprey with ACCCo.

Tim

No, I meant to write Lister CE(2) and very deliberately.

The reason I wrote this being most modern 'enthusiasts' incorrectly call this engine a Lister CE2 and I wanted to correctly call it a Lister CE with the (2) added in an attempt to stave off all of the questions about how many cylinders does a Lister CE have ! Having been around 'historic' narrow boats since I was 10 (now 47) both professionally and as a researcher I am very aware of the correct denotations of most narrow boat type diesel engines and I try to go to some length to maintain high levels of accuracy whilst producing credible information that can be fully understood by the modern 'enthusiast'.

I have been highly entertained in the past by a previous chairman of the Narrow Boat Trust Ltd. who insisted on using all of the boaters terms for boating manouvers, Grand Union Canal lock names, town names e.t.c. when his crew where all modern 'enthusiasts' who did not have a clue what he was talking about. You can guess the result of somebody trying to be a clever dick !

Am I starting to rant ?

Pick your teddy up and go to bed early.

My records for JAGUAR' engine changes are:

05/1927 - Bolinder BM 15hp (new boat)

05/1956 - Lister FR3 27hp by 'British Waterways'

c1964 - Bolinder 15hp by Seymour-Roseblade (but JAGUAR owned by Nick Hill)

c1965 - Lister HA2 by Seymour-Roseblade (but JAGUAR owned by Nick Hill)

c1983 - Bolinder BM 20hp by Alan Braby (Lister HA2 for sale by Alan Braby Summer 1983)

c1999 - Bolinder 15hp by Malcolm Burge

As usual I would be happy to be corrected on the above, especially if it gets rid of a 'circa' !