Bolinder boats extant

zenataomm

Featured Posts

I know this going a little off topic, but is prompted by a past owner of Dragon who told me a tale of his Bolinder running away on its lube oil.

This video isn't a Bolinder but the flavour is the same, it's one of my favourite Youtube clips and shows how close to death true enthusiasts are prepared to get, it is truly trouser fouling.

You can never find your running shoes when you need them

It gets really lively at about two minutes thirty when the guy in the cap suddenly understands the true meaning of "tiger by the tail" You can also see him glancing at the flywheel as he puzzles over why it hasn't started to disintegrate and share its bounty with everyone within close proximity as well as those in the next yard.

I know this going a little off topic, but is prompted by a past owner of Dragon who told me a tale of his Bolinder running away on its lube oil.

This video isn't a Bolinder but the flavour is the same, it's one of my favourite Youtube clips and shows how close to death true enthusiasts are prepared to get, it is truly trouser fouling.

You can never find your running shoes when you need them

It gets really lively at about two minutes thirty when the guy in the cap suddenly understands the true meaning of "tiger by the tail" You can also see him glancing at the flywheel as he puzzles over why it hasn't started to disintegrate and share its bounty with everyone within close proximity as well as those in the next yard.

AWESOME

I believe only 4 of the Irish 'M' boats still retain their Bolinders. Can't remember which ones. Possibly M45 and M50 and one or two of the 70's - 79 possibly?

Which one did the three numpties use on TV?

According to the Heritage Boat Associations' Cool Metal - Clear Water, there are four boats still with Bolinders: 45M (built 1928, E-type 15hp), 50M (built 1928, E-type 15hp), 75M (built 1937, E-type 15hp)and 78M (built 1939, E-type 15hp).

I believe only 4 of the Irish 'M' boats still retain their Bolinders. Can't remember which ones. Possibly M45 and M50 and one or two of the 70's - 79 possibly?

Which one did the three numpties use on TV?

b00pk5nj640360.jpg

Not 100% but seem to remember it as 45m. It was moored opposite me for a few weeks and accompanied 107B into Dublin around the right time.

Yes although I'm not sure if it had a Bolinder originally - depends whether it actually entered service pre-nationalisation.

Another boat which I think we've missed is Jem Bates' Severn (T.Clayton).

Paul H

Of it course it did originally! No Joshers were otherwise fitted. Entered service in 1947 I believe.

Edited to add except the Steamers of course before someone else gets there first.

Edited by kingofthecut

Of it course it did originally! No Joshers were otherwise fitted. Entered service in 1947 I believe.

Edited to add except the Steamers of course before someone else gets there first.

You're probably right but I was just pointing out the possibility that Foxglove never received a Bolinder originally. Delivery from Yarwoods was December 1947 and I think sent to Saltley for fitting out. As the agreement for the nationalisation of FMC was made immediately after (in February 1948) with final handing over in 1949 it seems possible that it was mothballed and never actually entered service with FMC.

However I do have a fleet list showing Foxglove being paired with Dilys for FMC in 1947 but how that was possible given the above dates I don't know. I'm sure Pete Harrison would know if he's reading this.

Paul H

Edited by Paul H

You're probably right but I was just pointing out the possibility that Foxglove never received a Bolinder originally. Delivery from Yarwoods was December 1947 and I think sent to Saltley for fitting out. As the agreement for the nationalisation of FMC was made immediately after (in February 1948) with final handing over in 1949 it seems possible that it was mothballed and never actually entered service with FMC.

However I do have a fleet list showing Foxglove being paired with Dilys for FMC in 1947 but how that was possible given the above dates I don't know. I'm sure Pete Harrison would know if he's reading this.

Paul H

My understanding is that all completed Joshers were fitted with Bolinders including Gorse in 1951 with only Cotswold being scrapped before completion.

According to the Heritage Boat Associations' Cool Metal - Clear Water, there are four boats still with Bolinders: 45M (built 1928, E-type 15hp), 50M (built 1928, E-type 15hp), 75M (built 1937, E-type 15hp)and 78M (built 1939, E-type 15hp).

I was fairly close then. Except I got the 'M' at the wrong end!

Paul H

I am afraid the earliest fleet list I have relating to F.M.C. Ltd. boats is dated 25 October 1949, but it does list FOXGLOVE and DILYS as being a pair with G. Aldridge Snr. as steerer.

My transcript of F.M.C. Ltd. records does not state what engine FOXGLOVE was commissioned with but an early 'British Waterways' document listing the engine details of all of the South Eastern Division motors states BM 15hp.

Not sure what happened to Amy, but Ike took the Bolinder out several times after it broke his ankle yet again. IIRC he had an FR in there at the end.

My records state that by the mid 1990's AMY THE PUP had been re-fitted with a Lister CE(2), and that Mr Argent still owned the Bolinder 9hp at that time.

<Engine Anorak Alert>

You mean a Lister CE, not CE2 or even CE(2). They only came in 2 cylinder versions. The corresponding single cylinder engine was the CD.

</Engine Anorak Alert>

David

Yes, Ike did fit a CE not an FR, but it was very much under pressure because of his ankle. His crew at the time of the breakage couldn't move the boat! I think he always intended putting the Pup back in but do not know if he ever did.

Edited by BuckbyLocks

<Engine Anorak Alert>

You mean a Lister CE, not CE2 or even CE(2). They only came in 2 cylinder versions. The corresponding single cylinder engine was the CD.

</Engine Anorak Alert>

David

No, I meant to write Lister CE(2) and very deliberately.

The reason I wrote this being most modern 'enthusiasts' incorrectly call this engine a Lister CE2 and I wanted to correctly call it a Lister CE with the (2) added in an attempt to stave off all of the questions about how many cylinders does a Lister CE have ! Having been around 'historic' narrow boats since I was 10 (now 47) both professionally and as a researcher I am very aware of the correct denotations of most narrow boat type diesel engines and I try to go to some length to maintain high levels of accuracy whilst producing credible information that can be fully understood by the modern 'enthusiast'.

I have been highly entertained in the past by a previous chairman of the Narrow Boat Trust Ltd. who insisted on using all of the boaters terms for boating manouvers, Grand Union Canal lock names, town names e.t.c. when his crew where all modern 'enthusiasts' who did not have a clue what he was talking about. You can guess the result of somebody trying to be a clever dick !

Am I starting to rant ?

b00pk5nj640360.jpg

Not 100% but seem to remember it as 45m. It was moored opposite me for a few weeks and accompanied 107B into Dublin around the right time.

Yep... 45M

A7C74A96824C4604A9577335743BDDC8-500.jpg

And it's motor

7E4F2839CC7E44989F0E5785F7E54E7F-500.jpg

(Images copyright - Conor Nolan - IWAI Forum)

Yes although I'm not sure if it had a Bolinder originally - depends whether it actually entered service pre-nationalisation.

Another boat which I think we've missed is Jem Bates' Severn (T.Clayton).

Paul H

Severn has the 25 hp one pot SEFFLE that came out of LILY. Lily being fitted with a 20 hp BOLINDER with a gearbox

I am afraid the earliest fleet list I have relating to F.M.C. Ltd. boats is dated 25 October 1949, but it does list FOXGLOVE and DILYS as being a pair with G. Aldridge Snr. as steerer.

My transcript of F.M.C. Ltd. records does not state what engine FOXGLOVE was commissioned with but an early 'British Waterways' document listing the engine details of all of the South Eastern Division motors states BM 15hp.

My records state that by the mid 1990's AMY THE PUP had been re-fitted with a Lister CE(2), and that Mr Argent still owned the Bolinder 9hp at that time.

in 1998 the last time I boated the Erewash, the Bolinder from AMY was in Ike`s back garden waiting to be fitted to a boat he was doing for one of his children. Don`t know if it got fitted or not

in 1998 the last time I boated the Erewash, the Bolinder from AMY was in Ike`s back garden waiting to be fitted to a boat he was doing for one of his children. Don`t know if it got fitted or not

It is apparantly still in the family's ownership. It would be appropriate if it ended up going in to Perch which Ike's son is (slowly) restoring but I was told he favours a JP2 at the moment.

Paul H

Severn has the 25 hp one pot SEFFLE that came out of LILY. Lily being fitted with a 20 hp BOLINDER with a gearbox

... that came out of Jaguar, one of the five 20 hp gearbox Bolinders imported by the GUCCCO (and no, I am not saying it was originally installed in Jaguar, just that it came from Jaguar to Lily.)

... that came out of Jaguar, one of the five 20 hp gearbox Bolinders imported by the GUCCCO (and no, I am not saying it was originally installed in Jaguar, just that it came from Jaguar to Lily.)

the 20hp that was from jaguar has a known history and I dont think its a guccco engine