Bolinder boats extant

zenataomm

Featured Posts

I know there not boats but there are bolinders in gloucester Waterways Museum, london museum and at least 3 in Ellesmere port museum all not in boats also there is a big double one in a pumping station saw on youtube.

I believe the problem was loss of oil, and maybe something to do with a damaged seating for the seal - either on the seating or maybe on the shaft onto which it ran. Tim Wood did that work, though I've never been able to make contact with him to talk about that and other work he did on TYCHO's engine prior to 1999.

Bronze sleeve is just resting across the inner housing.

073gearbox006Small_zps9c3ae8fb.jpg

The Tonka did groan a bit, and got a chassis reinforcing job done after - good as new.

Derek

I believe the problem was loss of oil, and maybe something to do with a damaged seating for the seal - either on the seating or maybe on the shaft onto which it ran. Tim Wood did that work, though I've never been able to make contact with him to talk about that and other work he did on TYCHO's engine prior to 1999.

Derek

The original seal runs on a fairly narrow sleeve which carries the oil thrower and which is pressed/shrunk onto the main hollow input shaft - not the solid shaft which bolts to the flywheel. The sleeve is quite delicate considering its size, and if the thrower breaks loose (does happen), then welding it on could well lead to needing to devise an alternative sealing method.

How do you get the key on the shaft past the seal?

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Just found my pic of the bolinder plaque says

Bolinder engine 26258

15bhp max rpm 450

Made in Stockholm.

Im asuming the engine number is the serial number as its sim to the other bolinder numbers I have.

Is this 'plaque' still attached to the engine, and are there any other 'plaques' on PEACOCK's current Bolinder ?

This is testing the memory bank!

As the old seal, and the new seal seen just inside the new boss were larger in diameter than the stub shaft with key, there was no trouble withdrawing and replacing the box on the shaft. Whether the new seal worked in conjunction with the old I cannot remember, but I do remember the oil thrower being a tight push fit and keyed onto the forward bevel.

The stub shaft shown here must be different to that on TYCHO, and quite how it is fixed to the crankshaft I cannot now recall. Certainly worked though!

Stub shaft is item 36; forward bevel 38; forward end oil seal (original) 117.

Fbox479Medium_zpsb406aa1c.jpg

This is testing the memory bank!

As the old seal, and the new seal seen just inside the new boss were larger in diameter than the stub shaft with key, there was no trouble withdrawing and replacing the box on the shaft. Whether the new seal worked in conjunction with the old I cannot remember, but I do remember the oil thrower being a tight push fit and keyed onto the forward bevel.

The stub shaft shown here must be different to that on TYCHO, and quite how it is fixed to the crankshaft I cannot now recall. Certainly worked though!

Stub shaft is item 36; forward bevel 38; forward end oil seal (original) 117.

Fbox479Medium_zpsb406aa1c.jpg

There must have been a larger diameter on the stub shaft, for the new seal to run on - either a special stepped shaft or a sleeve shrunk/loctited on, I suspect.

Usual way to connect the stub shaft is by bolting to the flywheel.

Tim

Is this 'plaque' still attached to the engine, and are there any other 'plaques' on PEACOCK's current Bolinder ?

I know there is another plaque on the roof but that just says the engine suppliers think off top of head was john something but not 100% off top of head can check tomorrow but I know it only says bolinder engine suppliers.

Yes the plaque is on the block of the engine not sure how to upload pics otherwise would add it. That that is all the info on it. Only other numbers on engine are on fuel pump but thats to do with the pecker spacing.

The plaque is in the same place as danes when I last saw her and looks the same. Not moved like the ones on jaguar and such.

No but if you mean the peacock sign I believe thats at Swindon museum.

Not that I have seen it but at the same time I didnt know it was there to look have to look next time im at Swindon. Im sure ill go at some point with my grandad. Although it is far for him to go.

I know there is another plaque on the roof but that just says the engine suppliers think off top of head was john something but not 100% off top of head can check tomorrow but I know it only says bolinder engine suppliers.

Yes the plaque is on the block of the engine not sure how to upload pics otherwise would add it. That that is all the info on it. Only other numbers on engine are on fuel pump but thats to do with the pecker spacing.

The plaque is in the same place as danes when I last saw her and looks the same. Not moved like the ones on jaguar and such.

Pollocks of Faversham were the main Bolinders agent in the UK for quite a while, I think. Could it be their plate?

Tim

Off the top of my head I know it says the engine suppliers name and that if my memory is right its above the door from the cabin to engine room on the engine room side. I dont have a pic of it but will take one if remember tomorrow. Ill get back to you on that tim.

I think the peacock name plate was the left side

Yes, but it does take two men or some sort of hoist to cope with the cylinder casting.

I can just lift one off the floor, but that's my limit. No chance of carrying it or lifting it to any height.

Most of the rest can be managed by one strong person.

Tim

Unless one of those men is Johnny Jinks in which case it only takes one man. Still missing my mate.

Personally I find getting the flywheel out the hardest task, closely followed by the bed plate, which thank the lord, I've only had to do twice so far, however the back bottoms are wearing yet again :(

Off the top of my head I know it says the engine suppliers name and that if my memory is right its above the door from the cabin to engine room on the engine room side. I dont have a pic of it but will take one if remember tomorrow. Ill get back to you on that tim.

I think the peacock name plate was the left side

John Hemelryk stated in 1973 that the current engine in PEACOCK came out of MOORHEN (exBRIAR), and MOORHEN was at Iver from 1964 to 1970 (converted to a house boat 1965) so puts it in the right sort of area. BRIAR was completed in May 1935 so its engine would be of a similar age.

Confusingly the engine serial number quoted as currently being in PEACOCK is the number relevant to the engine fitted by F.M.C. Ltd. in January 1934. This engine was certainly still in PEACOCK in the summer of 1961, and MOORHEN was still operational as a carrying boat in the spring of 1964 - powered by a Bolinder 15hp.

Clearly there are more questions than answers, but no assumptions.

Thanks for update. This is where I was getting confused. As not by going on number as I dont have a list but on the top of the injector says peacock fm&c. Now I know the part can be swapped as for instance stour has crane fm&c and I know dane dosnt say dane on and I know others are different.

I wonder if parts were swapped rather than the engine? Is there any other ways of finding out apart from finding briar engine.

Thanks for the info pete.

And again sorry if there was any offence given.

Hi tim yes is james pollock sons &co ltd london

I'd be interested to see a picture of the Pollocks plate, if at all possible.

I'm trying to make a design for a replacement Pollocks builders' plate for my little tug, I know approximately what was on the plate but hoping to get the right style for the period.

If you have a picture, any chance you could email it if you can't post it on here?

Thanks

Tim

I'd be interested to see a picture of the Pollocks plate, if at all possible.

I'm trying to make a design for a replacement Pollocks builders' plate for my little tug, I know approximately what was on the plate but hoping to get the right style for the period.

If you have a picture, any chance you could email it if you can't post it on here?

Thanks

Tim

Hi tim not a problem didnt get chance to take a photo but I will try on friday if we go past.

But yes ill try and add both up.

Wasnt he the only one who could kick start 30 in Worcester?

No, because I can. John and I spent an interesting Easter Saturday afternoon with ... (i'll remember his name later!) having come back from the pub, kicking her off. John could always do it, first kick, even from cold though, were as it would be second or third time for me. Be interesting to know if I could still do it all these years later.

Ray Woodland

As to swapping engines, Claytons, lifted the whole engine out and overhauled them when necessary, they didn't always go back in the same boat. Also they played swapies with engine parts, especially towards the end. Interestingly some of our original spanners have the serial numbers on them as well as the boat name, so we know we have the original engine in the main. Some of our parts are of other engines.

Also none of the Clayton boats bolinders came with two water pumps, as FMC nicked the bilge pumps, to hold for spares, so we have been told, by old man Clayton when we met him in the mid 70's

--

Cheers Ian Mac

Edited by Ian Mac