Is it ME!?

Prof

Featured Posts

Is it ME?! :lol:

I've been cruising the inland waterways for 47 years, man and boy, and loved (more or less) every minute of it; but I'm / we're (my wife can only claim 36 years!) becoming more and more aware of a tendency for other boaters to come and "help" at locks without a word! No "would you like a hand", or "shall I lift this paddle", just jump straight in and get on with it, almost as though we don't exist, despite having 14 tonnes of boat sat in the lock!

Now, like most of us, we pay quite a lot to go out boating, and one of the main reasons is that we like doing it - INCLUDING THE LOCKS! We even feel we're reasonably good at it, after all these years we've got quite a good system going; for example, on Friday (4th June) we came down the Wolverhampton 21 (Just the two of us) in about 2 hours 45 minutes, not too bad considering most of the locks were against us and we didn't bother with lock wheeling. (got down to the pub for lunch anyway!)

Obviously there are times when it's nice to have some help from a friendly person, who asks before jumping in and you can have a pleasant chat at the same time; but to just arrive and get on with it, without a word just seems rude! - It's not as if either of us LOOKS incapable, I'm a 6ft 1in truck driver and my wife is ????? (also very capable!).

We feel that if our boat's in it, it's OUR lock, if you want to help PLEASE ASK - as I said WE DO IT 'COS WE LIKE IT, please don't pinch our pleasure!

Or, as I said, is it ME!?

I've been cruising the inland waterways for 47 years, man and boy, and loved (more or less) every minute of it; but I'm / we're (my wife can only claim 36 years!) becoming more and more aware of a tendency for other boaters to come and "help" at locks without a word! No "would you like a hand", or "shall I lift this paddle", just jump straight in and get on with it, almost as though we don't exist, despite having 14 tonnes of boat sat in the lock!

Now, like most of us, we pay quite a lot to go out boating, and one of the main reasons is that we like doing it - INCLUDING THE LOCKS! We even feel we're reasonably good at it, after all these years we've got quite a good system going; for example, on Friday (4th June) we came down the Wolverhampton 21 (Just the two of us) in about 2 hours 45 minutes, not too bad considering most of the locks were against us and we didn't bother with lock wheeling. (got down to the pub for lunch anyway!)

Obviously there are times when it's nice to have some help from a friendly person, who asks before jumping in and you can have a pleasant chat at the same time; but to just arrive and get on with it, without a word just seems rude! - It's not as if either of us LOOKS incapable, I'm a 6ft 1in truck driver and my wife is ????? (also very capable!).

We feel that if our boat's in it, it's OUR lock, if you want to help PLEASE ASK - as I said WE DO IT 'COS WE LIKE IT, please don't pinch our pleasure!

For me when this happens it's less of an issue about the fact that I enjoy doing locks but more an issue about the safety of my boat when people leap in there windlasses blazing! I've gotten quite stroppy about it sometimes. :lol: help is always welcome but it ought to be exactly that - help. Under my terms as it's my boat that might get sunk if they f*ck it up.

No I dont like it either if I have a lot of locks to do I have my own way of doing them. The thing i hate most is when i am shutting a gate and someone runs on and starts lifting the paddle then the gate slams and as i have my bum against the gate it slams ohhhh its bloody painful

I am quite happy to let other people work the lock for me if that is what they want to do. The only thing that can cause me concerm if we are alone going up in a double lock, is if they open the paddle on the opposite side of the boat first, rather than the one on the same side.

Our boat is 52 ft long and opening the paddle on the opposite side tends to throw the boat all over the place, with it usually ending up on the "wrong" side of the the lock, but if they are also going tom open the gates that's fine.

Edited by David Schweizer

No, it's not just you! We also enjoy doing locks and after a rather nasty and potentially dangerous incident with some unwanted helpers a couple of years ago, are very wary of anyone helping us whilst we're in a lock.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when it's good to have a bit of assistance, but only if the helper remains aware that it's OUR lock and WE are in charge of how and when the paddles are raised.

We make it a point when helping with locks to always wait for a signal from the steerer before doing anything with the paddles, and always make sure that help is actually required rather than just wading in and taking over.

Janet

...entirely agree, this time last year a (20yrs experienced couple who knew what the were doing and had the windlasses at 9am) $£%@*,

put my daughter and her friend along with the pussycat, and me, trying to climb out the lock ladder while they filled the lock with paddles pulled full......

As I exited, I offered to do the lock for them, ...no it's ok, we can do our own.........

My daughter and friend applauded me after my riposte.....its not often I get wound up or angry, but I did then...........

Next we will get a thread about a boat with a crew of 6 just standing there watching beside there boat while a couple work their way through the lock and only moving up when the lock is vacated.

Very nicely put....

Increasingly I think we need a 'Boaters moan/rant' sub forum in here.....

Next we will get a thread about a boat with a crew of 6 just standing there watching beside there boat while a couple work their way through the lock and only moving up when the lock is vacated.

Well, funny you should bring this up. I think it is an increasing trend for boats waiting for a lock not to send their crew up to help. Apart from missing out on the social chat at the locks they are just holding themselves up. They are the same types who, when they know a boat is only a few minutes behind them, will not wait at the next (wide) lock but take it all to themselves.

Interestingly It seems to be private boats who are the worst 'offenders', I reckon they must be 'newcomer' types or 'chaves on boats', Most hire boaters seem keen to get involved and eager to learn.

I do agree with the original post though and I believe it is important that the lock-wheelers follow the instructions of whoever is in charge of the boat(s) especially when it is not their boat.

Ditchdabbler

I am quite happy to let other people work the lock for me if that is what they want to do. The only thing that can cause me concerm if we are alone going up in a double lock, is if they open the paddle on the opposite side of the boat first, rather than the one on the same side.

Our boat is 52 ft long and opening the paddle on the opposite side tends to throw the boat all over the place, with it usually ending up on the "wrong" side of the the lock, but if they are also going tom open the gates that's fine.

We found that with our previous 60ft boat, when alone in a double lock, opening first the ground paddle same side as the boat and then the gate paddle opposite the boat kept the boat against the side of the lock and speeded up the filling process no end. As soon as the water level rose sufficiently the lock-wheeler opened the remaining ground and gate paddles. No banging about and quick filling.

When near the top, the stern end is pushed over the side opposite the lock-wheeler enabling the steerer to step off the boat and close the paddles as soon as the lock has filled. The lock-wheeler opens the gate and closes the paddles on their side. The steerer then took the boat out through the single open gate and hovered in the lock mouth while the lock-wheeler closed the gate and stepped on the boat then we were away to the next lock.........

Sometimes we reckoned that we could do a lock faster by ourselves than with a lock-buddy and crew but on balance its more fun with a lock-buddy.

Ditchdabbler

Anyone can help us whenever they want. As for speaking people don't these days.

Sue

As I have observed before, you must cruise on some very different canals and rivers from us.

We have just been out for 9 days, and around 120 miles / 130 locks, and it has been rare not to have a considerable chat with nearly everyone we have met and shared with.

I have yet to boat anywhere since getting Chalice where most people are not very chatty. (Of course some do not want to be, as in any other walk of life).

A pleasure of this trip has been to spend time sharing some of the broad locks with people who really know what they are doing, and with whom we have had a very smooth and pleasant passage through flights, or long runs of locks, making good speed with no surprises.

This has included a small Liverpool Boat, a very nice RW Davies boat, and a certain forum member and his wife with an even nicer Josher.

As we have gained greater confidence about handling out boat in the broad Grand Union locks, I no longer really mind who pulls a paddle on me, (provided I'm actually at the tiller, and not half way along the roof!). This trip we have, when on our own, largely done "all paddles straight up" with no dramas, and even did this at Denham Deep, just to prove we could handle it.

I'd never do the same to anyone else I didn't know, though !

The locks add the excitement and danger to a trip that would otherwise be uneventful, "all paddles up" more challenge = more fun :lol:

Some people just dont want a single sratch in their shiney paintwork, sad but true.

Get on with it and try to smile along the way too :lol:

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

This has included a small Liverpool Boat, a very nice RW Davies boat, and a certain forum member and his wife with an even nicer Josher.

Hi,

Now let me guess, bet it was down from Marsworth - surprised you could keep up with him.

Hope you had a good trip.

Leo.

We found that with our previous 60ft boat, when alone in a double lock, opening first the ground paddle same side as the boat and then the gate paddle opposite the boat kept the boat against the side of the lock and speeded up the filling process no end. As soon as the water level rose sufficiently the lock-wheeler opened the remaining ground and gate paddles. No banging about and quick filling.

When near the top, the stern end is pushed over the side opposite the lock-wheeler enabling the steerer to step off the boat and close the paddles as soon as the lock has filled. The lock-wheeler opens the gate and closes the paddles on their side. The steerer then took the boat out through the single open gate and hovered in the lock mouth while the lock-wheeler closed the gate and stepped on the boat then we were away to the next lock.........

Sometimes we reckoned that we could do a lock faster by ourselves than with a lock-buddy and crew but on balance its more fun with a lock-buddy.

Ditchdabbler

All good observation: but just a small caveat which seems to apply on SOME Grand Union locks (mainly on occasions when the pound below the lock is very low); also on ALL Rochdale Canal locks, and on most of the Eastern-end K&A locks (those few which have ground paddles that is). When you initially open the ground paddle, the water enters at a high enough level that if your boat is a long one (ours is 67 ft) then it pushes the boat away until the level has risen by 3 or 4 ft, just enough time for the bow to hit the other side, before adopting its more usual pulling effect to bring you back and hit the original side. The cure, which works on almost every lock, is to first to cross and open the opposite-side paddle just a turn, then cross back over and open the nearside paddle, followed by crossing back over yet again to open the gate paddle (by which time, if you've got any energy left, you can open the offside paddle most of the way).

It helps to know the characteristics of every lock individually!

Hi,

Now let me guess, bet it was down from Marsworth - surprised you could keep up with him.

Hope you had a good trip.

Leo.

Excellent trip, thanks !

Yes it was them of course, and down Marsworth as you say.

Lot's of forum members are about today in this area.

Spotted GeoffS at foot of Marsworth and the Bullfrogs have just headed past North on Rallentando.

I think Jim was being kind to me - I kept up easily, but he hardly ever seems to open the throttle at all, does he ?

It seems to make a reasonable "lock flight" speed on tick-over - well, to an observer, at least!

Ah and now Ray has just gone past on the Electric Brick! I must have a word with him about the steerer of the Grebe diesel engined boat though, who moved over not an inch this morning, and had 8 feet of clear space to the other side of him whilst he put us firmly through the trees. Quite unnecessary, and I'm unimpressed - they normally behave themselves from that outfit!

I had a bad experience on the LL some years ago when our then tiny narrowboat nearly rolled, owing to an idiot with a windlass. It is too long a story to repaet here, but trust me our boat was nearly over. The point is I remember this one bad experience, and have forgotten the thousands of locks that we have done without incident. Most people on the cut are sound.

Snip

Ah and now Ray has just gone past on the Electric Brick! I must have a word with him about the steerer of the Grebe diesel engined boat though, who moved over not an inch this morning, and had 8 feet of clear space to the other side of him whilst he put us firmly through the trees. Quite unnecessary, and I'm unimpressed - they normally behave themselves from that outfit!

Not sure who was steering, or where you passed them. Sometimes, if the summit is low, we don't have much channel to deviate from, but that's not necessarily an excuse for forcing someone into the trees.

You may have encountered someone who was being allowed to steer the empty boat so the skipper could get his rest period between trips - they'd had a cr*p trip up the flight and were running late.

Apologies for any inconvenience, I'll mention it when I go over next time.

What you didn't see was our return trip. The (wheel) steering semi failed and I had to resort to the emergency tiller. Good job I've got long arms and can stil reach the throttle!

We like to do locks efficiently, not dangerously fast, just efficiently, and it does annoy me slightly when someone in front is doing them very slowly without a good reason and won't accept help (we do always chat and ask).

It might be your boat and your lock at that time, but it's not your canal, and I really don't see why your unreasonably slow and cautious methods should hold me up so you can enjoy yourself.

If you really don't want help, but want to go down for example Hatton opening just one paddle half way, and tying up the boat each time that's fine, but let the boat who want's to get on with the job go past you and everyone's happy.

Some people are on a bit of a timetable because they only have a limited time off work, or are hiring and need to get the boat back, so it's not fair to inflict your timetable on them.

Having said that we have rarely been told not to help, probably because we talk to them first.

Sue

Edit for Typo

Edited by Mrs Tawny Owl

We always welcome any help at locks and if we meet someone who appears reluctant to talk we jump straight in and hope that they are less reluctant to listen. Broad locks always provide an opportunity for narrow boats to share locks and for the crews to generally chat while working through - it is one of the great pleasures of boating on Britain's waterways . . .

Edited by NB Alnwick