SM Hudson...

Featured Posts

NBnutter, on 12 Mar 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

when i go to this page it says its not there!! i would love to be able to see these images.

That link was posted on the forum nearly 6 years ago, So not really surprising it's not working any longer.

And as for all that ridiculous multi-coloured paint, what's that for? Any sensible boat would just be a uniform beige.

Or a uniform blue!

when i go to this page it says its not there!! i would love to be able to see these images.

"Page not found", I'm afraid.

Well he did say he was anonymous!

Thanks. Of course the problem with having a beautiful boat is that it raises the hackles of those who can only afford an 80 year old boat and their envy then leaks out!

Oi! TWO 80 year old boats, if you don't mind!

We looked at an early Steve Hudson boat called "Kara Sea" or something like that. It didn't look like a Hudson shell to me, and when pressed the broker admitted that early Hudson's were fitted out on someone else's hull.

Built 1992.

Yes, it was well overpriced, not based on a Steve Hudson shell, and had a permanent crossbed between the engine room and the rest of the boat that you had to climb over.

All I can say is that SH learnt quickly from his earlier mistakes :)

...some of which might have been doing what the customer wanted as opposed to what he knew worked best!

Exactly, Steve understood the poster of branding, hence the distinctive look of his later boats. He also understood that a reputation based business cannot take chances with what may not work in practice, no matter how much the customer wants it.

Exactly, Steve understood the poster of branding, hence the distinctive look of his later boats. He also understood that a reputation based business cannot take chances with what may not work in practice, no matter how much the customer wants it.

Which is why I didn't buy one. Steve only built boats one way, his way.

Steve only built boats one way, his way.

Not really, you could name it whatever you liked and there was a fair choice of allowable colours, though he did relax this more recently (and look at the consequence of that!). How much more choice do you need?

Edited by nicknorman

Not really, you could name it whatever you liked and there was a fair choice of allowable colours, though he did relax this more recently (and look at the consequence of that!). How much more choice do you need?

I'd've wanted a longer foreend, so it was less pinched and swoopy. The back ends were good, though.

I think the point is, it's not a replica Josher, which Roger Fuller or Norton Canes would build; they were Hudsons, which some people liked and some (including me) didn't. If you didn't like what he built, you'd go to a different builder, because he wouldn't change.

I'd've wanted a longer foreend, so it was less pinched and swoopy. The back ends were good, though.

I think the point is, it's not a replica Josher, which Roger Fuller or Norton Canes would build; they were Hudsons, which some people liked and some (including me) didn't. If you didn't like what he built, you'd go to a different builder, because he wouldn't change.

I agree with this. I loved the shape of my Hudson or I wouldnt have bought it. I have no interest in so called Joshers etc etc I just liked the quality and style of the Hudson marque so I bought one. It had its faults as every other boat does. Actualy as a liveabord I much prefer my present colecraft with its non colecraft fit out.

Tim

I'd've wanted a longer foreend, so it was less pinched and swoopy.

Today's best word. Have a linguistic, and regrettably virtual, greeno.

Hang on Swoopy, Swoopy hang on...

Edited by Athy

We looked at an early Steve Hudson boat called "Kara Sea" or something like that. It didn't look like a Hudson shell to me, and when pressed the broker admitted that early Hudson's were fitted out on someone else's hull.

Kara Sea also had to be heavily over-plated before the last time (?) it was sold.

Just as well it didn't, (I think), have stick on rivets that would have stopped the new plating lying flat against the old!

Kara Sea also had to be heavily over-plated before the last time (?) it was sold.

Just as well it didn't, (I think), have stick on rivets that would have stopped the new plating lying flat against the old!

Hmmm perhaps with the application of super-science cleverness they could have been ground off first, then reapplied later? Or is that too clever? Anyway does one normally over-plate well above the waterline where most of the embellishments are?

And does all that rule out over plating a boat built 80 years ago when they were too mean to stick it together properly and just spot riveted it together with gunge in between to stop it sinking?

• Greenie 1

And does all that rule out over plating a boat built 80 years ago when they were too mean to stick it together properly and just spot riveted it together with gunge in between to stop it sinking?

No gunge needed. As rivets are put in red hot and shaped, they contract as they cool and draw the plates closely together.

Although not all 80 year old boats are riveted (Willow and the other 7 Charles Hill built Severners were some of the first welded narrowboats.

No gunge needed. As rivets are put in red hot and shaped, they contract as they cool and draw the plates closely together.

So (and I know nothing about construction methods from eons ago) you are saying that it's just iron on iron with absolutely nothing sealing the bit in between the rivets? I'm surprised because any slight imperfection in the contacting surfaces (and manufacturing methods of that era were not know for their tight tolerances) would surely cause a leak. As we know with something like a cylinder head, doing the bolts up REALLY TIGHT does nothing to help a leak and in fact probably makes it worse.

So (and I know nothing about construction methods from eons ago) you are saying that it's just iron on iron with absolutely nothing sealing the bit in between the rivets? I'm surprised because any slight imperfection in the contacting surfaces (and manufacturing methods of that era were not know for their tight tolerances) would surely cause a leak. As we know with something like a cylinder head, doing the bolts up REALLY TIGHT does nothing to help a leak and in fact probably makes it worse.

The Dutch boatbuilders used a linseed oïl/red led minium mixture between the plates that were rivited as sealing compound.

I would think (without beeing sure) that they would have done likewise in the U.K.

Peter.

Ah but the pressure inside a cylinder is a couple of orders of magnitude higher than on the outside of a hull

Ah but the pressure inside a cylinder is a couple of orders of magnitude higher than on the outside of a hull

Yes, however does the pressure cause distortion of the metal, or does it just increase an already extant leak? High pressure = high leak rate, low pressure = low leak rate. Welded seams = no leak rate. Hmmmm, which is best...

As a teen in the 60s, I spent time at Harris's yard in Netherton, near Dudley. The two Harris brothers were close to retirement then and most of their work was repairing the fleet of Joey boats operated by nearby Stewart's and Lloyds, the tube manufacturers. They riveted new plates over thin sections in the hull sides. The rivets were heated by a portable coke fired furnace, this could be wheeled around to a convenient point close to the repair site. I spent many hours heating the rivets for them....a steel plate with, I think, 16 holes in its at in the hot coke. New rivets were placed in the peripheral holes then moved toward the centre of the plate to heat further. As required, I took a hot rivet from the centre of the plate, threw it into the boat where one brother picked it up, placed it into the hole and put a heavy hammer behind as a " dolly ". The other brother, on the outside of the hull, then hammered it over...no neat hemispheres as found on modern boats! I don't recall any mixture being applied between the plates, as the rivets cooled they contracted and pulled the new plate against the original hull.

Here is the furnace I worked with, not long after the yard had finished.....

post-3041-0-26756600-1457821179_thumb.jpg

Yes, however does the pressure cause distortion of the metal, or does it just increase an already extant leak? High pressure = high leak rate, low pressure = low leak rate. Welded seams = no leak rate. Hmmmm, which is best...

But they used flat sheets of iron, not wavy steel.