Painting & Gritting The Roof

Featured Posts

Hello

I am coming to the point that I am going to paint the roof and grit it soon. What is the best way of doing it?

I have relined many industrial potato peelers over the years and this is done with a 2 part styrene and a course black grit similar (same) to that used in grit blasting. I suspect the adhesive was simply clear GRP resin and catalyst.

I have seen some fantastic self done and works done jobs, so would be interested to hear debate on the "best method".

It seems to me the masking off is just as important and is what makes the job. Is there a special technique used here?

Biggles

I did my decks with bird cage sand (from a pet shop) and a small gloss paint roller. after masking the shape with ordinary masking tape, rolled a small section with gloss paint with about 20% thinners, sprinkled on sand then rolled again with gloss paint then kept extending till the area was covered. Its as even as any pro job I've seen.

I first started with a brush, but it left streaks in the sand, so quickly changed to the roller, the roller gets covered with sand but still does a good job.

You need to take off the masking while the paint is still wet.

Edited by Radio-Ga-Ga

I did same as Radio-Ga-Ga but sprinkled bird sand on undercoat. Next day carefully and gently brush away loose sand and use a couple of coats of thinned paint to seal it. Don't leave sand unpainted, if it gets wet then you're buggered, you really need 2 or 3 dry days.

I did same as Radio-Ga-Ga but sprinkled bird sand on undercoat. Next day carefully and gently brush away loose sand and use a couple of coats of thinned paint to seal it. Don't leave sand unpainted, if it gets wet then you're buggered, you really need 2 or 3 dry days.

Hi,

I have used sharp sand, well rinsed, sieved, and then spread on a baking tray and dried in the oven.

Leo

I am coming to the point that I am going to paint the roof and grit it soon. What is the best way of doing it?

It seems to me the masking off is just as important and is what makes the job. Is there a special technique used here?

An alternative option....

International Paints 'Interdeck'

It's a "tough polyurethane low sheen deck coating containing a fine mineral aggregate providing a hard wearing, slip resistant surface"

you could just use kiln dried sand.

Agreed, but if using sand it's important to make sure it's well washed and completely dry, a kitchen sieve is useful for spreading it onto the painted surface evenly.

Leo

Warrior's is just done in Craftmaster raddle, as are the gunnels and front and rear decks. We've never found slipping a problem. And it looks good and is easier to keep clean.

Edited by Chertsey

Warrior's is just done in Craftmaster raddle, as are the gunnels and front and rear decks. We've never found slipping a problem. And it looks good and is easier to keep clean.

I agree, the Craftmaster raddle has a level of grip that is OK (providing your wearing sensible shoes in the first place) in all but the most wet of conditions. Slipping has not been an issue for me on the gunnels since painted with it instead of gloss black.

Agreed, but if using sand it's important to make sure it's well washed and completely dry, a kitchen sieve is useful for spreading it onto the painted surface evenly.

Leo

Why does it need to be washed? Also you'll find with a sieve the gaps are to big you would use a shit load of sand.

Why does it need to be washed? Also you'll find with a sieve the gaps are to big you would use a shit load of sand.

Hi,

Washing it removes all the dust (dried mud) and a kitchen sieve has a fine mesh.

(Perhaps rinsing would be a better word than washing in this instance).

Leo

I masked out areas and rolled top coat on. I had ready twice sieved bird cage sand which I then sieved over the wet paint and left till the next day. Brush off surplus sand and top coat again. This gives a good nonslip grip but looks good as its very fine.

Hi,

Washing it removes all the dust (dried mud) and a kitchen sieve has a fine mesh.

(Perhaps rinsing would be a better word than washing in this instance).

Leo

Hello Leo

But does it matter about dust and sand if its only going to be non slip on your boat. The dustier the better i would of thought. But if you did want it cleaned you could just use bird sand its already been done for you. save you all the effort for next time.