Alternator spinning too slow

Featured Posts

You can probably guess where this is going. 2 Pot Lister with original crank shaft pully. The one with the built in chain cog for the overhead hand start. The alternator only gets past 12.5V output at near full revs. Top speed produces roughly 12.8V.

So. What I need is a larger crank shaft pulley. I have fitted the smallest one I can find to the altenator. I have thought of an intermediate shaft with double pulley (small/large) to increase the speed but is too much work and messy to my mind.

My query is, what arrangement have others used? Where do you get a largish 6" pulley? Photos very welcome...

You can probably guess where this is going. 2 Pot Lister with original crank shaft pully. The one with the built in chain cog for the overhead hand start. The alternator only gets past 12.5V output at near full revs. Top speed produces roughly 12.8V.

So. What I need is a larger crank shaft pulley. I have fitted the smallest one I can find to the altenator. I have thought of an intermediate shaft with double pulley (small/large) to increase the speed but is too much work and messy to my mind.

My query is, what arrangement have others used? Where do you get a largish 6" pulley? Photos very welcome...

Hi Mick,

On Grace I have a Kelvin K2 which I fitted all the alternator arrangement. Wary of the problem that you describe, I had a bespoke steel pulley made with holes drilled to match holes in the K2's flywheel.

The diameter of the pulley is approx. 25" which is just a bit smaller than the flywheel alone. From memory this results in the alternator spinning between 4000 and 12000 rpm. I do not have any charging problems with this arrangement.

Rob

13" (maximum) "Z" section taperlock pulley with an 1.50" insert ( any good engineers suppliers or I have them in stock)

job done

the end

sorted

Chris

Edited by Baldock

On my BD3, I know its not in the same class as yours I have a "Taper Lock" pulley. and I have changed the actual pull for a larger one so that I get full output from the alternator at 600rpm+

Edit Baldock replied while I was typing

Edited by ditchcrawler

13" (maximum) "Z" section taperlock pulley with an 1.50" insert ( any good engineers suppliers or I have them in stock)

job done

the end

sorted

Chris

Will that fit an SR3, Chris, and how much £££, roughly?

PC

sounds like you've got a few leads there - I was in the same position a few years ago with a Lister SL3. I put a 10" taperlock pulley on, and it made a hell of a difference (ie I could charge batteries without revving the testes off the engine), so well worth doing. I think I got mine from Pete Thompson in Uxbridge

Make sure it doesn't get in the way of the starting handle...you never know when you might need it ;-)

Will that fit an SR3, Chris, and how much £££, roughly?

PC

Yes Paul it will fit the SR3

Pulley and taperlock bush are £130.00 retail..cwdf members discount* means £92.70

(delivery £10.00 )

can take card etc over phone or will be at Calf Heath in May ! ( free delivery)

or give me a ring

(zero)189(five) 236-246

Chris

(this applies to all stock items and only if you are not on my ignore list)

sounds like you've got a few leads there - I was in the same position a few years ago with a Lister SL3. I put a 10" taperlock pulley on, and it made a hell of a difference (ie I could charge batteries without revving the testes off the engine), so well worth doing. I think I got mine from Pete Thompson in Uxbridge

Make sure it doesn't get in the way of the starting handle...you never know when you might need it ;-)

and I work with who ???????

lol

Chris

You don't need to go to much trouble to sort this. Look up the " Bearing Boys" on the net..they can supply any size pulley including a suitable taper lock by return. Cheap as chips!

Exactly right. I think my 400mm Fenner pulley and hub came to about £60 a couple of years ago. But remember the higher you gear it the more power it wil take out. Also this might fowl the throttle mechanism on some listers.

The other nice thing about this set up is you can position it on the shaft anywhere within reason to line up with your alternator.

Biggles