Break ins

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

:lol: Just a quick posting to all on the south oxford. Thrupp had another break in at the canal yard and two moored boats also broken into over the last couple of nights. Now we all know mr Finch has been around of late but please keep an eye on your property as he cannot be responsible for all break ins so be vigilante, there are vermin around.

:lol: Just a quick posting to all on the south oxford. Thrupp had another break in at the canal yard and two moored boats also broken into over the last couple of nights. Now we all know mr Finch has been around of late but please keep an eye on your property as he cannot be responsible for all break ins so be vigilante, there are vermin around.

It will perhaps be his only lasting legacy to the world that much as we Hoover the carpet, and sign our name with a Biro, those who break into boats will forever be known as "Finch"

You can usually tell if it is Finch because of the pattern of what is done, what happens and what is taken. He used to do as little damage as possible to gain entry but, as boats and hatches have become more secure, he has got more robust with his entry methods. He tends to close up the boat afterwards so that it is less obvious that he has been there. He tends to take very little except food, booze, warm clothing, torches and batteries, that sort of thing. Sometimes he kips down overnight. That's the sort of pattern to look for. If bigger items are stolen, I don't know, perhaps things that take some effort to carry or have other value like say a generator or boating specific stuff, then I doubt that it's Finch.

Roger

It will perhaps be his only lasting legacy to the world that much as we Hoover the carpet, and sign our name with a Biro, those who break into boats will forever be known as "Finch"

A new meaning to having something HalFinched :lol:

Can I please point out that, so far as I am aware, he is not a relation, or known to me in any way!

One of my son's is known by his mates as "Finch", but as he always claims to have totally zero interest in canal boats, I can't see it being him!

I get my longbow (only doing as the law requires officer) and make up a rope necktie and hang in the window with a warning.

Firesprite

Middle levels

Similar problems on the K & A. Just discovered a break in on my boat for the second time in a year. Side hatch forced and alarm sensor smashed but nothing taken. Probably scared off by the alarm siren. More expense to repair the damage though. Difficult to know what more I can do to stop this. Man traps or similar deterrents are tempting.

Similar problems on the K & A. Just discovered a break in on my boat for the second time in a year. Side hatch forced and alarm sensor smashed but nothing taken. Probably scared off by the alarm siren. More expense to repair the damage though. Difficult to know what more I can do to stop this. Man traps or similar deterrents are tempting.

Sorry to hear that. Where on the K&A did it happen?

Brass Domes nicked from a narrowboat on end of garden mooring in March over the passed week.

It seems that with the rising price of brass, Your domes are now a target for the 'light finger never do well'.

A set of long term towpath moorings what a target!!.

Firesprite

Middle Levels

This is obviously a seasonal topic as I posted this............

Safe Clicky

....... a year ago.

A year on and it still works for me.

Sorry to hear that. Where on the K&A did it happen?

I am moored between Hungerford and Pewsey. Don't want to say precisely where in case it tempts fate to srtike a third time. According to the local police there have also been some other incidents in Pewsey although the M O was different.