New forum software.

DHutch

New forum software skin options.  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which skin would you like to be the new canalworld.

• I would like to use the default V3 Skin as per the IBP community forum
    • I would like to use the beta classic V2 skin overlaid onto V3 to look most like what we have now
    • I would like to use a third and diffrent V3 Skin (neather of the above) as detailed below
    • I do not mind which skin we use as long as canalworld remains up-to-date and as lively as ever
    • I would like to abstain from voting or am against upgrading the forum software for reasons disclosed or otherwise

Featured Posts

Those who have been on board since October 2005 will remember when we moved from version1 to version2 of the Invision board software, which included a change in the look and feel of the board, as well as improved functionality and administration ability.

Well, five years later and its time to move from Version 2 to Version 3 and we have a choice of what we want to look like in future.

An example of a forum running the version3 software is the IBP community forums themselves, which run the default v3 skin (as we run the default v2 skin currently) This would be the easiest option we could opt for and can be seen <b><a href="http://community.invisionpower.com/index" target="_blank">here</a></b> (right click on the 'x' to close the blog window on the right)

Alternativly, the IPB community developers are working on the ability to run classic skins on v3 with three skins currently being available in beta release including IP.Board Pro, the skin we are currently using. This is therefore another option although as currently only in beta release we may stumble on some bugs. <a href="http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/2749-classic-skins-100-beta-2/" target="_blank">Details Here</a>

The third option is to select an alternative v3 skin that we like the look of. There are a fair number of these (just google IBP skin) and we can use really any as long as its compatible with the blog and gallery (most are) and isnt prohibitively expensive (most are free or reasonably priced) . I have selected a handful of examples/possibilities as well.

<ul>IBR3 Grey <a href="http://ipbskins.ru/big/ibr3.png" target="_blank">http://ipbskins.ru/big/ibr3.png</a>

Delicate Dlue <a href="http://ipbskins.ru/big/delicate_blue.png" target="_blank">http://ipbskins.ru/big/delicate_blue.png</a>

Blue Velvet <a href="http://www.invisionize.com/market/viewimage/22-1231212068.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.invisionize.com/market/viewimag...-1231212068.jpg</a>

Professional Blue <a href="http://www.skinbox.net/skins/ipb-3-0-skins/professional-skins/professionnal-blue/39" target="_blank">http://www.skinbox.net/skins/ipb-3-0-skins...sionnal-blue/39</a>

Discovery (black on w) <a href="http://www.invisionmodding.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&req=display&code=ss&full=1&id=1469" target="_blank">http://www.invisionmodding.com/index.php?a...l=1&id=1469</a>

Simply Seafoam <a href="http://www.invisionmodding.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&req=display&code=ss&full=1&id=1483" target="_blank">http://www.invisionmodding.com/index.php?a...l=1&id=1483</a></li></ul>

<b>I have created a poll for you to vote on (no bias intended) and also welcome your comments below.</b>

Please where possible form your decision based on the information provided before reading the below posts

you may then read the below posts at you will, before or after registering your thoughts in the poll or below.

Things to bear in mind

- I would plan for the new skin to be fairly simple, clear, and work-safe if an alternative to the current or default skin is used.

- All skins should be able to have a (or the) canal world logo and or moto in the top banner as we have currently with this skin.

- Minor other changes such as font size/colour should be possible with any skin although the less changes we need to make the easier clearly.

- I welcome comments like 'i like x if it was a bit more y' or suggestions for any other available v3 skins people many find or know of.

- Given V2 lasted 5 years, v3 will also last for a significant time so anytime to get used to a new skin will be fairly well spent if it offers an improved experience.

Daniel

I lost my original post somehow, doh

Went back in history and found it

People don't like change in general and I must admit I don't like the look of the propsed new ones. My personal preference would be to keep the board as near to how it is at the moment, some of those from your lower list are similar so might be the way to go. You have also not added a please keep it as similar as possible button, which would get my vote (now found it!. And definitely do not go black background!!!

Oh by the way you forgot the 'I don't do polls' button!

Edited by Dawnie

The majority of responses will no doubt (as usual.. ) be that nothing should be changed. But you are on the right track, change must happen sometimes, otherwise we would still be living in caves.

I will have a look at the available options later ( I need to get some sleep.... :lol: ), but what ever the nay sayers will shout, stick with what you think is best. Most of the nay sayers end up singing the praises later on anyway...

Change is good...

:lol:

The new V3 is more stylish, however it is harder to read because much of the type face is in grey and pastel blue.

Many people in my age group have mid range vision problems and canot focus on pastel shade type faces, something that most graphic designers are yet to realise because they are too young to have the problem themselves. My son is a graphic designer and we have this arguement all the time.

If the type face could be in black and a bolder colour, I would go along with it but if grey/pale blue are the only option, I suspect you will loose quite a few older members.

As far as the alternative skins are concerned, the examples were all too small to make any realistic comment upon because the type faces could not be read, and zooming them just made them blurred.

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative, I know that some people will always resist change, but change for changes sake is never a good thing, change should bring improvements and this proposal as it stands does the opposite for me.

Edited by David Schweizer

I agree about the font, it needs to be dark preferably black on light as David says. Just had a play with the community forum and got rid of the blogs etc so made the board wider and easier to read There are other options too, clean cut is not bad

Edited by Dawnie

As has been previously stated, people tend to shy away from change and there is a feeling of "if it aint broke don't fix it" mentality among many people but change is required to ensure the forum keeps up with the latest technology and remains stable and so we need to embrace that change in a positive way.

I personally feel that so long as the new skin remains easy to use, easy to read and is as intuitive as the old one then it people will get on with it just fine.

I always tend to err on the side of safety and would avoid anything which is a beta version because glitches can infuriate people.

I did not look at all the skins offered in the third option (I m on a mobile connection with a steam driven laptop and can only have 2 windows open at a time) I did however look at "simply seafoam" and thought the colours seem very easy on the eye and acknowledge that among that group there is probably something that will please the majority but it could be a minefield trying to work out which if the one people like most.

I would not want to be the person who did the choosing but I for one really do not mind what skin we have so long as it is easy to use and stable to run.

Dark writing on light background with minimum clutter.

It's a canal website not a graphic design forum so the latest "look" is less important than it being safe, clear and easy to use.

Change is good if it is improvement but I used to make a tidy living, dealing antiques, so old is good too.

I agree with what appears to be the consensus on colours.

I think that whatever is the default skin will become the most common skin for forum software generally so people will get used to seeing that elsewhere, so people who use other forums will find it easier to use. Also it will most likely be better supported than some of the others.

I reckon that, so long as the overall look is clear and easy to use, we will mostly forget the old one within a few months.

Being old(ish) and therefore resistant to change, I expected to dislike the default V3 skin - so I was pleasantly surprised to find that I rather like it. So I've voted for that option.

In agreement with other replies, please keep it simple and with dark print on a light background; black on white seems perfectly OK to me.

Whatever you do, don't go for something that looks like the "JustCanals" forum; the dreadful appearance is one of the (several) reasons that I don't go there much.

I agree with both David & Carl in that it needs to be easily readable, not flashy or ultra modern, if we have to upgrade so be it. Having had a look at what's on offer, I had a preferrence for the 'Blue Velvet', dark writing, light background and reasonably similar to what we have now. The present layout is easy to read and intuative, so as long as what is used to replace it is of that ilk, I can't see too much of a problem.

Edit. Discovery is OK too, think I like the Blue Velvet because the headings are very similar to what we have now.

Edited by johnjo

Being old(ish) and therefore resistant to change, I expected to dislike the default V3 skin - so I was pleasantly surprised to find that I rather like it. So I've voted for that option.

In agreement with other replies, please keep it simple and with dark print on a light background; black on white seems perfectly OK to me.

Whatever you do, don't go for something that looks like the "JustCanals" forum; the dreadful appearance is one of the (several) reasons that I don't go there much.

moaned about Just Canals as it was so hard on the eyes and following that so did others, upshot is, admin listened and you can now change it under the UCP and it is similar to this one now

moaned about Just Canals as it was so hard on the eyes and following that so did others, upshot is, admin listened and you can now change it under the UCP and it is similar to this one now

Thanks for that tip Dawnie, I didn't know you could do that. Maybe I won't have to go back to Specasvers now.

Don't worry people, we won't be doing anything like this :lol:

Thank God for that!

You have also not added a please keep it as similar as possible button, which would get my vote (now found it!. And definitely do not go black background!!!

Oh by the way you forgot the 'I don't do polls' button!

I think you will find there is both a 'keep it simular' and a 'abstain from voting' option!

- I can also promise you all that we will not be going for a black background to the site.

The new V3 is more stylish, however it is harder to read because much of the type face is in grey and pastel blue.

Many people in my age group have mid range vision problems and canot focus on pastel shade type faces, something that most graphic designers are yet to realise because they are too young to have the problem themselves. My son is a graphic designer and we have this arguement all the time.

If the type face could be in black and a bolder colour, I would go along with it but if grey/pale blue are the only option, I suspect you will loose quite a few older members.

Dark writing on light background with minimum clutter.

It's a canal website not a graphic design forum so the latest "look" is less important than it being safe, clear and easy to use

I would very much agree.

- I like the cleaner simpler lines of the new v3 forum but agree that the pastle shades of ext colour are poor.

- Minor changes, such as text colour, should be fairly easy to make if we wish to customise/improve it somewhat.

We have to upgrade to help stop the spamming problems we've had, plus there are other benefits. So we're upgrading for the features 'under the bonnet' not for a for a fancy new look.
Very much so.

As has been previously stated, people tend to shy away from change and there is a feeling of "if it aint broke don't fix it" mentality among many people but change is required to ensure the forum keeps up with the latest technology and remains stable and so we need to embrace that change in a positive way.

I personally feel that so long as the new skin remains easy to use, easy to read and is as intuitive as the old one then it people will get on with it just fine.

I always tend to err on the side of safety and would avoid anything which is a beta version because glitches can infuriate people.

I did not look at all the skins offered in the third option (I m on a mobile connection with a steam driven laptop and can only have 2 windows open at a time) I did however look at "simply seafoam" and thought the colours seem very easy on the eye and acknowledge that among that group there is probably something that will please the majority but it could be a minefield trying to work out which if the one people like most.

I would not want to be the person who did the choosing but I for one really do not mind what skin we have so long as it is easy to use and stable to run.

Thankyou

Daniel

I like the look of 'Delicate Blue'. Possibly some of the stuff I like is just 'under the hood' stuff that could be used with a different 'skin'.

Specifically:

1. The bar of recent gallery images at the top - I think this would promote the gallery. Possibly could have random gallery images?

2. The extra column on the right hand side for recent topics etc. I noticed that a couple of other skins (including the default) had this too.

3. The forum search being immediately available rather than, as things currently are, having to click on search to get a search box - I think having the search box visible makes the search feature more obvious (even if I usually use google to search anyway). On a related point - I've seen those 'Google custom search' boxes on some sites. Could the forum use one of those? I haven't looked into them in great detail but I assume you can have a custom search similar to putting: site:www.canalworld.net [search term] directly into Google.

4. Larger, more obvious, links at the top (to members, downloads etc.) - another thing which several of the skins had.

5. The light blue backgrounds.

Ben

I've voted for the default V3 skin, which when you get into it is really as easy as the v2 one. Only thing I don't like is how big the "members details" are next to each posting. V3 places far more emphasis on the avatar, comments and so on of the poster than this version does, and I'd rather read what they have to say in the posts. A small thing perhaps, but there it is

Richard

Oooh. Forgot to say, really useful poll Daniel.

Edited by RLWP

• 1 month later...

Version 3 & moving to darker text would suit me...

If moving to one of the different colour schemes; beyond the aging contrast thing beware the colourblind... "Simply seafoam" with it's greens would, I suspect cause people ishoos. Much as the "buy this skin" window on "professional blue".

I'd echo Richard's comments about avatars in the V3 skin but wonder whether that's a "first glance" issue that'll soon fade.

I'll vote for "same skin" as I'm getting a bit old and recalcitrant (never mind late to the party), but a move to the V3 default skin wouldn't hurt.