Calor gas bottle caps

magnetman

Featured Posts

What does a cutter do, I presume its the loop I can see on top of the exaust, is it merely a method of dispersing fumes

img_6740.jpg

Apologies to Mike, this was Victoria under considerable load, having an impromptu tug of war with Chiswick.

What is the practical application of such a device in your opinion. Oh and thanks for the picture.,;'098

Not my opinion... as others have said, it prevents the force of the exhaust dislodging soot and other crap from the roofs of tunnels, which would then fall over the boat and in the steerer's face.

Not my opinion... as others have said, it prevents the force of the exhaust dislodging soot and other crap from the roofs of tunnels, which would then fall over the boat and in the steerer's face.

Yes, as you can see the upwards force is disrupted. It's surprising just how strong this force is, and without a cutter I came out of Blisworth with the cabin covered in black soot from the steam tug that used to run through there some many years ago.

These days I run with the pipe in the above picture, but before then I had to run inside the engine room to get out the titch which has a cutter on it. I still need to go into the engine room these days as the tunnel light switch is in there!

I've also always known it as 'titch' and 'tall pipe', and Tom Hill has recently purchased himself a ridiculously high river pipe! Should look good on the Thames this year.

Cheers,

Mike

img_6740.jpg

Apologies to Mike, this was Victoria under considerable load, having an impromptu tug of war with Chiswick.

who won the tug of war?

I seem to think of Victoria being a bit grunty and prone to excess black smoke :lol:

Yes, as you can see the upwards force is disrupted. It's surprising just how strong this force is, and without a cutter I came out of Blisworth with the cabin covered in black soot from the steam tug that used to run through there some many years ago.

Mike

If you find yourself in that situation again, just putting the hook of the cabin shaft into the exhaust collar can make a surprising difference.

Tim

who won the tug of war?

I seem to think of Victoria being a bit grunty and prone to excess black smoke :lol:

Seeing as it took place as they were passing during the parade at Braunston, it wasn't a fight to the death! I think there have been other meetings though... Mike will tell us.

If you find yourself in that situation again, just putting the hook of the cabin shaft into the exhaust collar can make a surprising difference.

Tim

Yes, I was told some popped a large open ended spanner in if a cutter was missing.

Derek

It doesn't take much to fashion a functioning cutter from a baked bean tin....it has been done....

I think a baked bean tin would be at home on my boat when its finished. I cant imagine how i will feel following a ship up the thames on it like the third picture in your post with my amateur welds and a design that was sketched on a piece of a4 lined paper. while we were having lunch :lol:

I think a baked bean tin would be at home on my boat when its finished. I cant imagine how i will feel following a ship up the thames on it like the third picture in your post with my amateur welds and a design that was sketched on a piece of a4 lined paper. while we were having lunch :lol:

THe Ship in question is the "Bow Trader" sister to the "Bow Belle" which sunk the "Marchioness", with much loss of life.

Edited by antarmike

who won the tug of war?

We called it a draw, although James on Chiswick said he wasn't really trying. Once I get my new prop on I'd like to see what happens:

Victoria_NewProp.jpg

28 x 16!! Sweet, if that don't load the engine, nothing will!!! Can't wait 'till Ricky!

I think the injector timing needs adjusting, so hopefully will improve the black smoke when I get her sorted out at Tony Redshaws soon.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

We called it a draw, although James on Chiswick said he wasn't really trying. Once I get my new prop on I'd like to see what happens:

Victoria_NewProp.jpg

28 x 16!! Sweet, if that don't load the engine, nothing will!!! Can't wait 'till Ricky!

I think the injector timing needs adjusting, so hopefully will improve the black smoke when I get her sorted out at Tony Redshaws soon.

Cheers,

Mike

Can't wait 'till Ricky!

your not booked in !!!

Once I get my new prop on I'd like to see what happens:

Victoria_NewProp.jpg

Goog idea, that picture....

Save time and install it with the inevitable motor tyre already on it! :lol:

Victoria_NewProp.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

Who made it? Maybe it's an illusion, but that boss looks a mite skinny for the size of the bats :lol:

Tim

It doesn't take much to fashion a functioning cutter from a baked bean tin....it has been done....

I saw a boat with a RN engine and his whole exhaust was a collection of bean tins soldered together after removing both ends of the tins and yes, the solder did start to fail when he powered down the river.

Who made it? Maybe it's an illusion, but that boss looks a mite skinny for the size of the bats :lol:

Tim

It's a Michigan Wheel Co prop bought through T Norris:

http://www.tnorrismarine.co.uk/inboard.php

It doesn't look quite so skinny in real life, but now that you mention it, it does look small. I don't know if the hub size is normally dictated by the shaft size (1 1/2"), but I guess I'll find out if it's any good when it goes on next week. Heres hoping it fits, and the boat doesn't go flying in the wrong direction when I put it in gear!! :lol:

Mike

Heres hoping it fits, and the boat doesn't go flying in the wrong direction when I put it in gear!! :lol:

Mike

There is a forum member on here who had an engine replaced and the prop wasn't changed. The 'box was running in reverse to push the boat forward and I understand didn't do it much good!

Would be interested to hear what you think of it once on. Need to get a new (big!) prop soon and have been hearing bad things about Crowthers recently.

Edited by Speedwheel