Prints in the Snow

Featured Posts

These prints were in the snow this morning on our mooring. They were spaced about 2 to 3 ft apart in a line and each print measured about 6" from toe to heel or whatever. Anyone know what made them? Whatever it was either hopped or put one foot/claw/paw/pad directly in front of the other, over quite a stride.

may70009.jpg

What about this one sent to me by a friend? :lol: I'm told it is not a dog's footprint.

gallery_1058_539_291217.jpg

Well, since everybody disagreed with me last time, I'll go for tiger. :lol:

(I agree with hare for the last one, BTW, but would have preferred to see more than one print, to see if the apparently cloven hoof pattern changes)

Mac

These prints were in the snow this morning on our mooring. They were spaced about 2 to 3 ft apart in a line and each print measured about 6" from toe to heel or whatever. Anyone know what made them? Whatever it was either hopped or put one foot/claw/paw/pad directly in front of the other, over quite a stride.

may70009.jpg

a_scream_mask.jpg

may70009.jpg

They belong to Hare.

Buck rabbit,common things being common

Difficult to tell given the depth and distortion of the snow but almost certainly a rabbit, hare tracks are very similar but the front tracks are usually proportionally wider than the rear tracks, both animals run with a similar gait as opposed to squirrels who appear to hop around but leave 4 distinct prints evenly spread but in similar front to back arrangement. Hare aren't renowned for hopping around slowly and are usually stationary or running - rarely anything in between, whereas rabbits amble around picking at bark and twigs this time of year with a nibble at grass when they can get to it, so the short spacing of 30cm also suggests rabbit, a hare would generally be further apart and the track spread. Rabbits are also far more common than hare so would I have to put a bet on it the odds are in favour of a bunny.

The other print is a well melted and spread (making it look larger than it was) common dog, you can see the nail arrangement which you wouldn't see in a large cat, odds on again of course unless you took the photo at Longleat in which case I suggest you get back in the car!

Yours Davy Crocket king of the wild frontier and renowned tracker :lol:

Edited by chieftiff

• 2 weeks later...