• Couldn't care so long as I can get back on
    • Mix
    • Staircases/Risers
    • Unusual locks
    • Manned Locks
    • Large River Locks
    • Never go through locks

Featured Posts

A lock survey, it's a bit of fun, so anyone who threatens to cut of my nadgers for it is missing the point. It isn't scientific, the questions were thought up in a few nanoseconds and have not been verified by a market research company.

The third question allows multiple choice, you can tick many boxes

It's the locks that count, NOT the boats. I was once lock keeper at Wyre Piddle for a few days, working it 75 times in one day is not what I mean. Sorry, but if you take a pair through one narrow lock it is one lock, but do comment as well

If anyone answers "over 60" or "0" in the most locks comments I'd love you to post.

Edited to add, if you normally don't move put in the number of locks when you do.

Edited by magpie patrick

I did Curdworth to Braunston in 24 hours, Knowle to Radford Smelly overnight and singlehanded (I couldn't believe it when my volunteer lock crew didn't turn up at the top of Hatton).

70 locks, iirc.

Yes, the boat was a fugitive from justice and no, they didn't catch me.

I did Curdworth to Braunston in 24 hours, Knowle to Radford Smelly overnight and singlehanded (I couldn't believe it when my volunteer lock crew didn't turn up at the top of Hatton).

70 locks, iirc.

Yes, the boat was a fugitive from justice and no, they didn't catch me.

I was hoping that one of the "over 60" (locks that is) would answer!

Good spread so far...

I was hoping that one of the "over 60" (locks that is) would answer!

Good spread so far...

BCN Challenge 66 locks if I remember rightly

Andrew

edited cos can't count

Edited by dove

BCN Challenge 66 locks if I remember rightly

Andrew

edited cos can't count

Was that in one boat? or 33 twice

If In one I'd be interested to know your route (we aren't entering this year so don't worry!)

I haven't voted, we did 55

To clarify, number of locks one boat has gone through, so same lock twice for one boat counts, same lock two boats doesn't

You missed an option

"I am a continuous cruiser and don't own a windlass"

Oh yes please, a large bucket of popcorn, and a choc ice.

Dave, Please...

I join in after the fight has started... I don't start it

And I did say "on days you move" anyone who never moves isn't interested

Was that in one boat? or 33 twice

If In one I'd be interested to know your route (we aren't entering this year so don't worry!)

I haven't voted, we did 55

To clarify, number of locks one boat has gone through, so same lock twice for one boat counts, same lock two boats doesn't

Wolverhampton 21

Brades 3

Spon Lane 3

Oldbury up 6

Oldbury down 6

Smethick 3

Farmers 13

Aston 11

Hours - 9 am to 11:45 pm

Andrew

Wolverhampton 21

Brades 3

Spon Lane 3

Oldbury up 6

Oldbury down 6

Smethick 3

Farmers 13

Aston 11

Hours - 9 am to 11:45 pm

Andrew

Brill, I am green... with envy we managed 55 that day

I reckom it's possible but crazy to start at Diglis basin at daybreak on June 22nd, go to Tardebigge Top, turn and get down tom Astwood Bottom: 100 locks in one day

Not sure I want to try it though, not unless RWLP wants to raise a big crew

edited to add: while this post is arguably lockist, Val and I do NO locks on most weekends, and we still enjoy it. Anyone else?

Edited by magpie patrick

edited to add: please grind your axe somewhere else. Thanks!

Oh dearie dearie me, I clearly overestimated some people.

I'm not grinding an axe, I am making a joke.

Can you not remember the days when people had the wit to understand that something was a joke without plastering it with smileys?

Most locks I have done, that I can remember, is only from Etruria, through Harecastle, and dropping down the Cheshire locks, through Middlewich and then into Northwich which was done in one day. Not the longest day by any stretch.

Type types of locks I prefer varies. If I have a helping pair of hands I prefer going downhill as I find it quicker. When going single handed I prefer going uphill as I find it easier to work and can let the boat come upto me instead of going down to it. It will also open the gate once it has come up, and not drift back in the empty chamber like it does when I go downhill.

Brill, I am green... with envy we managed 55 that day

I reckom it's possible but crazy to start at Diglis basin at daybreak on June 22nd, go to Tardebigge Top, turn and get down tom Astwood Bottom: 100 locks in one day

Not sure I want to try it though, not unless RWLP wants to raise a big crew

edited to add: while this post is arguably lockist, Val and I do NO locks on most weekends, and we still enjoy it. Anyone else?

I've just checked on Nine-of-Hearts BCN challenge planner. We did 45 locks in the Challenge and another eleven that morning to get into position for the start. So that's 56.

Richard

Then another eight going from Walsall to Hockley Heath on Sunday including an excursion up the Ridgeacre

They open at the wave of a magic wand :lol:

during office hours only :lol:

If they can see you. I went out last year when it was a little windy and got blown over to Davis' By the time I got back over he'd closed the bridge I waited and waited then he opened it again and got blown off course again and had to wait for another two boats to go round me as they wouldn't wait for me to sort myself out. ggrrrr. I don't think those cameras are too effective.

I also love the bridge keeper that told me to hurry up when I was already going pretty fast (for my boat) whats wrong with people I thought this narrowboating lark was suposed to be chilled out and relaxing. Although judging by the threads on here maybe not. :lol:

As for locks... from what I can remember Tardebigge was fun.

Met someone last year at Wootton Rivers and they told me that the'd been living on their boat for for over 3 years and this was the first lock that the'd done.

I know that the pound is 15 miles long but I felt this should a little lack of adventure :lol:

Rik

I'm claiming the doubler for our trip down the Cheshire flight in 01 with Forget Me Not and Lilith. There were only two and a half of us and i climbed every lock ladder, set every lock, opened it emptied it and motored on while the butty was bowhauled behind on the short pounds.

By the time we were up Wardle to moor that's 64!

The half was best left glued to the elum where he couldn't get us into trouble...

If the stewards continue to object I'm probably on 37 for Hatton and Lapworth last year. every lock bar two were against us...

But I still like locks!

I make mine 42 (Cape of Good Hope pub?) Warwick - top of Lapworth, including a lengthy delay up Lapworth when some students in a 70' hirer managed to get themselves and another boat wedged between lock and bank on one of those tricky curved pounds.

Probably going to bust that record this year with the Stourport ring trip.

I think there should be separate consideration given to those who have racked up a high lock count on wide locks, as opposed to narrow locks, and especially in the middle of winter when there's no one to share the locks with ... and even more especially when every single lock is set against the direction of travel (I'm still looking for my diary to do a count up)