Toilet Rolls???

DobieJade

Featured Posts

Hi, just to ask what toilet rolls people use on their narrowboats. Do you pay out for these special ones for cassette loos or is their a cheaper alternative - seriously! :lol:

Tesco Value flushes best. But Sainsbury's cheap brand doesn't - we find. However since discovering the art of binning bog roll (wherever yukkiness permits) as opposed to flushing it - then any loo roll is fine!

Hi, just to ask what toilet rolls people use on their narrowboats. Do you pay out for these special ones for cassette loos or is their a cheaper alternative - seriously! :lol:

Save ya money, cheap toilet paper is better than the more expensive toilet paper for all types of marine loos.

The cheapest (usually supermarket own brand) available :lol:

Iain

those huuugge packs of cheap ones from Lidl are perfect, think the brand name is floralys and they are very cheap. Any supermarket value brand and you can't go far wrong, combine this with an enzyme/bio based loo fluid and it will be eaten to nothing by the time you empty. We use Fenwicks top and tail, £9.99 from Halfords and goes a very long way.

clicky

Edited by Lady Muck

those huuugge packs of cheap ones from Lidl are perfect, think the brand name is floralys and they are very cheap. Any supermarket value brand and you can't go far wrong, combine this with an enzyme/bio based loo fluid and it will be eaten to nothing by the time you empty. We use Fenwicks top and tail, £9.99 from Halfords and goes a very long way.

clicky

Topntail :lol: had visions of babies nappies being dealt with!!

I personally use minimal cheap looroll then wetwipes whiich i bin in those nappy sacks. Although using wetwipes are my fav due to having Crohns & not needing a sore bum!

The boater's natural choice (it doubles as a good, fine/coarse wetn'dry rubbing down paper) is Izol - spread it all over - totally non-absorbent!

Rob

Interestingly, when we got our boat I read all the gumph about using special loo paper in a dump through toilet and was tempted to buy the special stuff to avoid blocking the outlet pipe.

Then I tested the (unused :lol:) Andrex paper that we have at home. I simply dropped a sheet into some water in the washbasin. It seemed to decompose almost immediately.

As a result we've stuck with using Andrex on the boat. I admit that it may be gradually building up into a great ball of goo that one day will block the pipe but, so far, that isn't something that we've found.

Tesco Value flushes best. But Sainsbury's cheap brand doesn't - we find. However since discovering the art of binning bog roll (wherever yukkiness permits) as opposed to flushing it - then any loo roll is fine!

I agree that Tesco value flushes best but make sure you don't have farmer Giles on board first :lol:

I have a mascerator (sp) and have always used white andrex. A few months ago I went mad and bought pink andrex, which I expected to be the same. It wasn't. It clogged up, refused to chew, and generally did not work. I had to take it all to bits (always a lovely job) and have never used pink since. I phoned Andrex to ask if there was anything in the dye that was likely to cause this. They seemed so afraid that I was going to sue them (I wasn't, I was just curious) that they sent me a standard email about their product. I dug deeper and was finally told that there was absolutely no reason why the pink ought not to disolve in the same way as the white. A bit of a mystery but I never take chances when it comes to the possibility of me having to take the toilet apart, so white it is for me.

fabricate a stick, 4 inches wide, quarter of an inch thick, 3 and a half foot long to an angle of 30-40 degrees extending a further 9 inches or so.

after holding tank is pumped out, stick a rinse hose down the outlet

Insert said fabricated hockey stick device.

Rotate. Reach into the corners and cover your nose.

Withdraw, drip dry (or on your carpets) and remove from boat.

Finish pumping out.

Sure to get rid of any over zealous use of un-degraded toilet paper :lol:

fabricate a stick, 4 inches wide, quarter of an inch thick, 3 and a half foot long to an angle of 30-40 degrees extending a further 9 inches or so.

after holding tank is pumped out, stick a rinse hose down the outlet

Insert said fabricated hockey stick device.

Rotate. Reach into the corners and cover your nose.

Withdraw, drip dry (or on your carpets) and remove from boat.

Finish pumping out.

Sure to get rid of any over zealous use of un-degraded toilet paper :lol:

It's called a Pooh stick, just don't use it for anything else :lol:

It's called a Pooh stick, just don't use it for anything else :lol:

I think Heff's playing ice hockey with it as we're out of (boating) season...

Another vote for Value lav roll - the Lidl one is top (or bottom). Doubles as snotters - just enough grip without tearing too.

Typical wasting of resources. The other end can be used for dipping your diesel tank.

Well, that's one way of checking the cr*p in red.

What about week-ends, or do you have super-human sphincter control?

Rob

Well occationally we do have to use it for number twos but the recycled stuff we use seems fine for occational use.

We are also well practiced now at using various public loos, pubs, cinemas, supermarkets etc.

Save the number 2's for work and use minimal recycled loo roll for number 1's then stick it on the fire.

One habit I picked up from working in China, (where the plumbing is woefully inadequate) was to keep a wastebin in the bathroom and put used loo paper (number ones only, please), in there.

Interestingly, when we got our boat I read all the gumph about using special loo paper in a dump through toilet and was tempted to buy the special stuff to avoid blocking the outlet pipe.

Then I tested the (unused :lol:) Andrex paper that we have at home. I simply dropped a sheet into some water in the washbasin. It seemed to decompose almost immediately.

As a result we've stuck with using Andrex on the boat. I admit that it may be gradually building up into a great ball of goo that one day will block the pipe but, so far, that isn't something that we've found.

I recall reading of tests on various toilet papers to see which decomposed the fastest in water and Andrex was the winner. Charmin came in last, it took forever to break down. I think its rate of decomposition was measured in geological time.

Hi..

We did some experiments and the Tescos value stuff disolved quite fast...and we use that all the time in out macerator.

Re : the Andrex article above.......it is important to verify each pack type before you use it even though same marketing name.

I have been 'informed' by a mate who's a buyer from M*******s that when they do the special packs....ie ' 2 for one' etc.......they often use inferior or 'lesser' standard product in the packs.....

If you buy 2 for ones...you are often getting thinner / diluted / smaller / lesser product than if you bought the singles...

THey also buy product that is made in a different country to the usual to keep the multi-pack price down....

I was 'told' that this is often the case with mainstream brand razor blads....they are still made by the same company...but maybe in China..!!

You then need soft toilet paper to stick little bits on your chin to stem the bleeding..

Mercedes cars are like this...thats why foreign drivers use them as taxis..they are made cheaper.

I bought one cheap ...and found it was made in South Africa and fell apart !

Bob